Winter Flat Pedal Boots

olegbabich

I'm starting to get a really bad Ball of Foot pain after 90 min on the bike.

I guess this is what you get for pounding Kitchen Floors for 35 yrs. (Getting Old Sucks)

I'm using Shimano SPD Pedals on all of the bikes.

I'm will be switching to flat pedals for now.

Yesterday I took the cleats off Lake Winter Boots and was using them with flat pedals, but the foot was slipping too much for my liking, and this was on the road bike.

On my downhill bike I use 5 -10 shoes and they work great.

Looking for recommendations and feedback to what works for you with flat pedals when it is frosty outside.

Thank you in advance and ride safe.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Curious, if you use SPD on all bikes, why moving to flat because of foot pain? I would recommend trying a better insole. The lake insole has the air pockets between the layers and basically no arch support. Over time, the air pockets flatten out and you have minimal support. Recommend trying superfeet, they make a huge difference on the road, maybe less so on the mtb. You can find cheaper options.

I think soe people use the DH version of the 5.10's (i think the impact HIGH) as winter shoes. That being said, that aren't water proof so if you DIP them, your foot is frozen.

BLAA.jpg

JerseyPete

The last pair of 510 high impact that I have do not fit and feel as good as previous pairs. I believe Adidas owns 510 now. Someone here said that former 510 people started their own business, but I forget the name. I do like the older 510 high impact and even though I have been in water, they seem resistant but not proof.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have you already tried setting your cleat further back?

I have a few friends I used to ride with in the winter that just rode above the ankle hiking boots in the winter with some spiky pedals. Otherwise, I think the 45NRTH boots work for both clipless and flat because they have a large regular sole compared to most winter cycling shoes.

jklett

Have you already tried setting your cleat further back?

I have a few friends I used to ride with in the winter that just rode above the ankle hiking boots in the winter with some spiky pedals. Otherwise, I think the 45NRTH boots work for both clipless and flat because they have a large regular sole compared to most winter cycling shoes.
I ride waterproof hiking boots with flats in the winter and it works really well. Granted, I'm not pushing really hard where I'm worried about pedal slip when it's frozen out but at least my feet are warm. Just look at the soles when you're getting them, the less lugs the better.

Robin

I have the Impact - which I use for DH only. I would not use them for XC or just riding. They are very stiff and bulky - and fabric toe.

The 5.10s I have for winter riding they no longer make - I can't find them on their website - but they are full leather high top. I know that doesn't help much but I think a full-leather 5.10 shoe might be just as good.

ilnadi

I have the Impact - which I use for DH only. I would not use them for XC or just riding. They are very stiff and bulky - and fabric toe.

The 5.10s I have for winter riding they no longer make - I can't find them on their website - but they are full leather high top. I know that doesn't help much but I think a full-leather 5.10 shoe might be just as good.
they have them but only on sale :shrug:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-...r_DQX27_color=Black_1&cgid=sale_bike#start=15

olegbabich

Curious, if you use SPD on all bikes, why moving to flat because of foot pain? I would recommend trying a better insole. The lake insole has the air pockets between the layers and basically no arch support. Over time, the air pockets flatten out and you have minimal support. Recommend trying superfeet, they make a huge difference on the road, maybe less so on the mtb. You can find cheaper options.

I think soe people use the DH version of the 5.10's (i think the impact HIGH) as winter shoes. That being said, that aren't water proof so if you DIP them, your foot is frozen.

I think I have Metatarsalgia or something.

This pain was a problem during the summer as well and I use top of the line SIDI shoes during warmer months.

I have also played with cleat position and tried different insoles without good results.

I have started a stretch and strength regiment for my feet, so we will see.

chuprinko

Having pain in similar spot, and told my shoes are too narrow. The ball of foot is squeezed and pushes pressure in ball. At least what im being told. Guess I need to find shoes in wide now.
Just sharing..

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have older impacts that I have been using and even use them snowshoeing with gators. Now with the waterproof socks I am golden.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Having pain in similar spot, and told my shoes are too narrow. The ball of foot is squeezed and pushes pressure in ball. At least what im being told. Guess I need to find shoes in wide now.
Just sharing..

Lake.
my feet are shaped like a slice of pizza. They really helped. Now if i could find snowboard boots.....

BCurry

Had similar issue this summer. It kept me off bike for most of summer, and I didn’t dare try to ride hard until recently. I found the best relief was switching from clogs to running shoes at work, and rest.

terrabike01

BLAA.jpg
BINGO! If I'm not riding in deep snow these are what I wear in the winter with thick wool socks. I have two pairs of the older hightop Impacts. They are like bricks but they are warm and they stick to the pedals like glue.

Top Bottom