Winter Cooking Thread

Great idea! I used Hoboken Eddies which has smoke flavor, but it would be nice to make my own sauce. What actually is liquid smoke?:confused:
Liquid smoke is essentially the water from a wood-fired bong.

I use this brand:

1575020035_180.jpg

I prefer hickory, and do not like mesquite. The same goes for when I barbecue, and I don't think too many would dispute the results of my labors :drooling:

KC Masterpiece original is a good OTC BBQ sauce. Sweet Baby Rays, with some balsamic vinegar is good, too.

Pix/Mare,

I realized you might be intersted in the actual Mango salsa as opposed to my current love life. With that being said; the mango peach salsa is a Costco product - and very good at that. That scallops can be had at any respectuful seafood counter and cooked over meadum heat until brown on the edges. I prefer a cold salsa w/ hot fish, kinda potuguese style, the rissoto was store bought and watched ove rthe 18 minute instructuion, spinach - old school frozen. The wine was lunda-d b/c we are on a budget, and the perc are xr prescriped *please see the Suggestins thread.

If you need any seafood receipts pleas just ask - I am a fish monger by trade and love to reveal all secrets.

Sincerly,
FFT

I recently got a cook book from Horizons Restaurant in Philly, which is a totally vegetarian (i think vegan). If you have ever eaten there, it is probably the best vegetarian food around. I know most of you wouldn't be into the recipes but the couple I have made are killer and pretty easy. I can post some up if anyone cares. The simple marinade for tofu was the best i have ever had.

That place rules. I have been there several times and loved everything.
The pan seared tofu with horseradish/curry sauce is one of my favorites. I don't have the book and lost the recipe...can you post it? :)

I recently got a cook book from Horizons Restaurant in Philly, which is a totally vegetarian (i think vegan). If you have ever eaten there, it is probably the best vegetarian food around. I know most of you wouldn't be into the recipes but the couple I have made are killer and pretty easy. I can post some up if anyone cares. The simple marinade for tofu was the best i have ever had.

I have a few of these books as well, there's tons of good stuff. One of my favorites is a Black Bean burrito recipe. It's pretty much a spanish rice of some kind, beans, and salsa wrapped in a burrito thing. You can make it fancy by getting cooler salsa or those rice starter meal things. Good times. And for tofu, I just bake the block in mushroom gravy and eat it like that.

-Jim.

Pix/Mare,

I realized you might be intersted in the actual Mango salsa as opposed to my current love life. With that being said; the mango peach salsa is a Costco product - and very good at that. That scallops can be had at any respectuful seafood counter and cooked over meadum heat until brown on the edges. I prefer a cold salsa w/ hot fish, kinda potuguese style, the rissoto was store bought and watched ove rthe 18 minute instructuion, spinach - old school frozen. The wine was lunda-d b/c we are on a budget, and the perc are xr prescriped *please see the Suggestins thread.

If you need any seafood receipts pleas just ask - I am a fish monger by trade and love to reveal all secrets.

Sincerly,
FFT

Cool, I am always looking for fish recipes. I will try cold Salsa.

Affordable wine: Check out French wines for best value. There was a glut in France and they were using them for industrial degreaser. It drove the cost down on cheap French wines.

post some stuff up man :D

I tried Steve's rib recipe tonight.
I started the marinade yesterday and threw the ribs in the crock today at 1pm before taking my youngest to a b-day party. I came home to wondrous scents as I walked in the door 4 hours later. I steamed some rice and fresh broccoli and threw the ribs under the broiler.

My son stormed in from his hockey game, too upset to eat because he got "two bogus penalty calls and sat on the bench the entire third period:cry:"... Until I enticed him with the ribs I made specifically for him(okay, I guilted him into eating, so what?).

The verdict from the pro rib tester:
"They are as good and maybe a little better than Chili's ribs and almost as good as Outback's." And there you have it. These ribs received rave reviews from a well educated mouth and also managed to temper the raging teen's temper.

Good work, Steve!

Sorry...here is the soup FINALLY!!!!

Start by taking 2 boneless chicken breasts and baking them in the oven until they are done. When they are cool enough to handle, shred them usuing two forks. Set this aside.

You will need:
1/2 cup of onion chopped
1/2 cup of celery chopped
1/2 cup of carrots chopped
1/2 cup of frozen baby limas
1/2 cup of frozen baby corn
1/2 cup of frozen baby peas
1/4 cup of flour
4 cups of chicken broth

In a large soup pot, heat up enough oil to saute the onion, carrot and celery. Let it cook for 5 mins. Add in the lima beans. Cook for 1-2 mins.

To this, add 3 tablespoons of butter. Let it melt and stir the veggies around in the butter. Add the flour and stir to coat all the veggies. Make sure the butter and flour are mixed. You are essentially making a rue that will thicken the soup.

Add the broth and and stir well. Bring it up to a boil, and stir well. Add in the remaining veggies and cooked chicken. Let it cook and thicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

You can adjust the volume by adding more broth.

Last edited:
Gluten-free Grain-free P B & J Cupcakes

I found this and thought they would be tasty and friendly for those on here avoiding gluten!

Gluten-free Grain-free P B & J Cupcakes

For the cupcakes:

4 eggs – separated
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
Pinch salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
¾ cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons flavorless vegetable oil
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
½ cup ground almonds (almond meal)
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup good quality strawberry jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cupcake/muffin pan with paper muffin liners.

With electric mixer on high speed whip egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks appear. With mixer running add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.

In a clean bowl beat the egg yolks with the peanut butter oil and vanilla with the mixer until very smooth. Add the ground almonds and baking soda. Mix well. Add the beaten egg whites and mix with a spatula or spoon until batter is no longer streaky.

Put about 2 scant tablespoons of batter in the bottom of each prepared muffin cup. Add 1 teaspoon of jam to each cupcake and top with remaining batter.

Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the cupcakes have risen, are golden brown and springy to the touch.

Cool on a rack until completely cooled before frosting.

For Frosting:

8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1 ½ sticks ( ¾ cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1 ½ cups powdered sugar – sifted
3 heaping tablespoons good quality strawberry jam

In the bowl of an electric mixer blend together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Turn mixer off and add powdered sugar. Start mixer again on low speed and blend in the sugar increasing the speed until the mixture is very smooth. Add the jam and mix until just mixed in.

Frost cupcakes.

Make 12 cupcakes.

Those cupcakes sound awesome! Unfortunately my love of PB and my wife lethal allergy to them will keep me away from making them. I love to cook and bake myself. Its an interesting mix in my house with me the serious carnivore my wife the ultra health conscience vegan and my daughter in the middle. One of my favorite past time and my wife least favorite is baking though. I will post some of recipes up here for you guys to try out if you want some sweet goodies! :)

My favorite quick easy winter dinner

This is nowhere near complicated but its a simple make your own sauce bolganese I love during the winter and it can be made either for meat eaters or vegans alike. The recipe below will be vegan style but you can substitute meat.

Extra Virgin olive oil
2 Cloves Garlic - finely diced
1 Medium Yellow Onion - chopped chunky
1/2 Green Bell pepper - chopped chunky
10 Medium size Baby Bellas - take off stalks and slice fine
1/2 package of Morningstar meat crumble or Quorn Chicken tenders
1 Large can of crushed tomatoes
1 tsp salt (for sauce) / 1 tsp salt for water
1 tsp onion salt
1 tbsp coarse black pepper
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
Parsley
2 tbsp grated parmasean cheese
I use a package of whole wheat angel hair pasta but any will work

In a large deep sautee pan warm over medium heat and add just enough EVOO to spread across bottom of pan
Add bell pepper / onion and garlic and sautee
After a couple minutes add your mushrooms let sautee for about 3 minutes
Add can of crushed tomatos
Add salt / onion salt / pepper italian seasoning / cheese
Cover and reduce to low and let simmer

In seperate pan add evoo and "meat" and cook just enough to heat up
Once warm add to sauce

In large pot add water, EVOO, and salt and boil
Add pasta and cook until tender
Drain

Once drained add pasta to sauce and let it just sit over low heat for about 5 minutes and serve :)

Hope someone can get use of this its nothing spectacular but a family fav at our house. Its also easy to make in under 30 minutes for a quick hearty meal

Change to spring recipes

FRUIT SALAD..YUMMY YUMMY...

Ok, so my wife had this fruit salad ready when i came back from the ride...:drooling::drooling:

KICK ASS!!

chile.jpg

Mango
Pineapple
Cucumber
Tejocote--with chili powder
Chamoy Salsa
+ more Chili powder...

:getsome::getsome::getsome:

Back
Top Bottom