Windsurfing equipment advice needed

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I always wanted to learn to windsurf - tried it once in the ocean, but was seriously out-of-shape (oos?) and pre-snowboarding days.

One popped up on the freecycle list, so i grabbed it. An old westwind board, single piece mast. The boom is missing the clamp,
and the mast is missing the piviot/pull down, extension. There are no footholds, and no skeg (fin?)

So free is good, but throwing good money at bad isn't.
I'm more than willing to just power wash the board, and use it to SUP.

advice?

(looks like it will burn...so)

ilnadi

You can just tie the boom to the mast, you're not worried about performance.

The mast foot is usually very specific. Do you have the part that sits in the board?

You could look for a similar board where the board is damaged and swap parts.

Or just put everything on the roof rack and look cool.

jklett

I could probably help you make the parts you need or modify something else to work. I've made a few replacement skegs for surfboards so at least that shouldn't be a big deal.

Patrick

Staff member
You can just tie the boom to the mast, you're not worried about performance.

The mast foot is usually very specific. Do you have the part that sits in the board?

You could look for a similar board where the board is damaged and swap parts.

Or just put everything on the roof rack and look cool.

here is the receiver - it looks like something slides in, then clicks, so it can rotate.
i don't have the next pieces going up - i think one provides the pivot, and the next adjusts for sail/mast length, with rigging to set sail tension..

1567693321151.png

i have a fat bike, so i always look cool. :D

I could probably help you make the parts you need or modify something else to work. I've made a few replacement skegs for surfboards so at least that shouldn't be a big deal.

thanks! we'll see where this goes....

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to windsurf. A lot. Not around here though...Bay Area.

Quick advice: "this is not the sport you are looking for"
1) unless you live in a spot with regular wind or can drop everything to go out when the wind is up, it's not worth putting in the effort to learn.
2) if you still decide to give it a try, don't waste your time trying learn on old crap. Just as with MTB's, your best chance of having a fun time windsurfing is with modern equipment (i.e. wide stable boards, modern sails, etc...)
3) if you really want to learn how to windsurf, take a trip to Bonaire

Buy a SUP paddle and just have fun being on the water

Patrick

Staff member
I used to windsurf. A lot. Not around here though...Bay Area.

Quick advice: "this is not the sport you are looking for"
1) unless you live in a spot with regular wind or can drop everything to go out when the wind is up, it's not worth putting in the effort to learn.
2) if you still decide to give it a try, don't waste your time trying learn on old crap. Just as with MTB's, your best chance of having a fun time windsurfing is with modern equipment (i.e. wide stable boards, modern sails, etc...)
3) if you really want to learn how to windsurf, take a trip to Bonaire

Buy a SUP paddle and just have fun being on the water

i'm 15 minutes from round valley - so yeah

and i was thinking that a couple-day camp would be a better way to start

and - ordered ;)

ty ! i think i'm with ya on this - what i really want to do is kitesurf!

1567695877273.png

ekuhn

Always see windsurfers at Sandy Hook...not close, but not too far.

The question I have is, If the wind is blowing out of the south, it pulls you to the north, and a train leaves Chicago heading east at the same time, how do you turn around to get back where you started?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

The question I have is, If the wind is blowing out of the south, it pulls you to the north, and a train leaves Chicago heading east at the same time, how do you turn around to get back where you started?
New bike

Patrick

Staff member

ah - you can't go there, you have to go somewhere else first.

njt coast line?

Top Bottom