Windows 7

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They both use the same driver model so if there is a driver for XP, it will work in 2000. Obviously there are more default drivers in XP than 2000 since its newer but all you need is a driver disk or access to the Internet. If you have the latest hardware chances are no OS will come with the drivers and its usually best to download the latest drivers anyways. You can use third party or MS patches to make up for other short comings in out of the box support...

That may be the case, but after working in an enterprise IT organization for 5 years and planning an enterprise wide upgrade from 2K to XP.. my personal experience differs.

Agree to disagree? :)

syadasti

Wet Rag
That may be the case, but after working in an enterprise IT organization for 5 years and planning an enterprise wide upgrade from 2K to XP.. my personal experience differs.

Agree to disagree? :)

If the hardware is standardized as it should be, its easy - just use some imaging software (Acronis/Norton/etc).

Also Dell has Linux based prep software that makes rolling out servers a snap with Win2K SP4 or higher (also supports Red Hat). I've been working enterprise for a decade. I rebuilt our biggest SQL server after an array failure in a few hours including all the database software+customizations and it was on Win2KSP4 Advanced.

MST.ESQ

Some good points indeed. I suspect that my fondness for Vista stems from the fact that I spent more for my computer than I did for my bike!

My wife has parallels on her Mac Book Pro but has experienced too many problems with it to rely on it. Also, she does not want to carry around another mouse. Sometimes however, I suspect that she is truly happy with her Mac but just wants to scan my computer to see what I have been up to while on business trips...:hmmm:

syadasti

Wet Rag
My wife has parallels on her Mac Book Pro but has experienced too many problems with it to rely on it. Also, she does not want to carry around another mouse. Sometimes however, I suspect that she is truly happy with her Mac but just wants to scan my computer to see what I have been up to while on business trips...:hmmm:

VMware/Fusion does seem to be more ahead of Parallels but I haven't tried the latest Parallels and I heard they now lead in raw performance numbers.

I have a little travel RF mouse with a pop out US receiver I got for free but never used it.

Last edited:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I just installed the sun virtualbox on my laptop running ubuntu i then installed a winxp VM
this allowed me to connect my garmin to the usb port in the VM and download my data to the laptop....
god I am such a geek.
getting back to the topic we have a few users at the office that have brought down win 7.The best I have heard is that it is hands down faster then vista...alot of people at the office have removed visa from there laptops in anticipation of windows 7.
me I will stay with linux more so now that my garmin is readable to my laptop...

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
On my Mac I run Parallels and it is working fine. I tried VMware on my Ubuntu 7.10 but it had to many problems so I switched to VirtualBox which is working fine. My VM Windoze installs are pretty minimal w/o too many software.

Top Bottom