Wildcat Ridge WMA Conditions

xc62701

Agreed. All is good. The new(old) trail is a great addition. One of these days I need to go down it instead of up. Let it rip!

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Agreed. All is good. The new(old) trail is a great addition. One of these days I need to go down it instead of up. Let it rip!
Sorry if i missed this elsewhere but what/where is the "new(old) trail"?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
One of these days I need to go down it instead of up. Let it rip!

I rode down it today for the second time, and it's definitely a lot of fun. Unfortunately, there are many fun descents at Wildcat, but you have to ride up some of them :p

Sorry if i missed this elsewhere but what/where is the "new(old) trail"?

It's an old woods road that is basically an alternative to climbing the old Righter Mine railbed along the river from Meriden Rd up toward the reservoir. It was a bit lost to time in some places, but it's been cleaned up and is rideable.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
It's an old woods road that is basically an alternative to climbing the old Righter Mine railbed along the river from Meriden Rd up toward the reservoir. It was a bit lost to time in some places, but it's been cleaned up and is rideable.

gotcha, so i did not ride near it on my ride

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
50 people on the group ride an no one posted an update? Trails were in great condition, obviously, and we didn't encounter any trees down on any singletrack (surprisingly). Lots of leaves and sticks are down, however, as i found out the hard way when one bent my derailleur into the spokes. There were 2 big trees down on the Darlington Drive dirt road but we cleaned them up enough to be rideable. :thumbsup:

stilluf

50 people on the group ride an no one posted an update? Trails were in great condition, obviously, and we didn't encounter any trees down on any singletrack (surprisingly). Lots of leaves and sticks are down, however, as i found out the hard way when one bent my derailleur into the spokes. There were 2 big trees down on the Darlington Drive dirt road but we cleaned them up enough to be rideable. :thumbsup:
that first big tree down was already rideable! ;)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any idea on conditions for nonfaybikes
@Chris26er and i did a loop from the batcave up to the hawkwatch, then over to oreland and back. All rideable with skinny tires, no problem.

We moved about 50 fallen limbs, branches, etc. Didnt see anything that was necessarily chainsaw worthy, but a nice bow saw would be great. There is a mess at the intersection where the spine starts at the orange trail fireroad. There is another at the start of the downhill portion of oreland that we couldnt move.

xc62701

Was very good this morning aside from the bottom of Blue mudbogs. Nicked a couple puddles I saw higher up on blue so that should help

I nicked a big puddle I saw on blue closer to the batcave as well. It should be draining much better now!

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
I nicked a big puddle I saw on blue closer to the batcave as well. It should be draining much better now!
I feel like almost that whole section of blue from the batcave to the moto area should be rerouted with some parallel singletrack slightly higher up. Would that effort just be futile with all the moto traffic though? Were you the one who passed me on the raw hardtail 29er on blue?

xc62701

I feel like almost that whole section of blue from the batcave to the moto area should be rerouted with some parallel singletrack slightly higher up. Would that effort just be futile with all the moto traffic though? Were you the one who passed me on the raw hardtail 29er on blue?

I think it’s worth a shot to build a bypass trail. Yes that was me.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
I'd totally be in to help design and build it but i just don't have much time to get out with family stuff. Peering off to the right as i rode toward batcave though, seems like a quick build with decent terrain.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I'd totally be in to help design and build it but i just don't have much time to get out with family stuff. Peering off to the right as i rode toward batcave though, seems like a quick build with decent terrain.

I'm down so long as i don't have conflicts

xc62701

I would love to help as well if I can break free. Can we do late night trail work when the kids are asleep?

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Just aligned the family calendar and amazingly have the weekends of 1/18 and 1/25 available! @JimN or @trailhead or whoever, Pick a weekend day and i can do some Sourlands Trailbuilding, LLC consulting work at Wildcat.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Twas great this morning for a sunrise ride! Warming quickly now tho. I'd think give it today to thaw, then hit it midday tomorrow at 60 degrees. Should be good by then, right @JimN ?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions