Wife is divorcing me and moving out at the end of the month - need furniture

mattsrabbit

And I need to replace what she's taking with her. So I'm looking for affordable furniture, houseware and stuff to furnish the spare bedroom because I need to take on a renter. Ugh....

Non-leather couch
Dresser x2
Small desk/chair
Dishware/cookware set.

I'm in Brooklyn so preferably in Northern NJ/Bergen county?

I know about Craigslist and the FB marketplace, I just figured I'd ask and post here because you folks are trustworthy and clean strangers that don't have bedbugs, and I know your screen name.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i know someone who is in the process of moving now and looking to offload some items. checking in with him.

and, um... sorry about the divorce.

JonF

One option since you're in brooklyn... check out the myriad of IG accounts for furniture stooping where people discard perfectly good furniture out on the curb free for the taking. My cousin runs a van service (Stoober NYC) that will pick up and deliver for a flat fee if you need help transporting.

bucknejo

bummer on the divorce, but maybe you will now have more time to ride bikes!

this idea may not get a lot of likes, but if you lurk around northern bergen county towns after 6 pm or so depending on the night of the week it could be bulk trash day. this is where lots of folks toss out things like furniture. maybe check the town websites to see when these events are scheduled?

each town typically has a facebook marketplace site too. lots of stuff flying around in this space as well.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Moving sale this weekend in my neighborhood
Usually best buys are found at moving sales.

Also my neighbor just mentioned a multi bed that could be bunked with a desk combo.

I been there done that, it will get better. It's definitely life changing but in most cases for the better.

mattsrabbit

Update, definitely still need the stuff and will reach out to each of you (thanks so much for responding) I'm hustling to quickly abandon Brooklyn and find a 1 or 2 bedroom in Ridgewood NJ for July 1 move in so I don't have to deal with filling the second bedroom.

Any of you folks rental agents???

onetracker

Update, definitely still need the stuff and will reach out to each of you (thanks so much for responding) I'm hustling to quickly abandon Brooklyn and find a 1 or 2 bedroom in Ridgewood NJ for July 1 move in so I don't have to deal with filling the second bedroom.

Any of you folks rental agents???
So sorry about the breakup. Sending good karma. I just heard from a student that Ridgewood NJ rentals are scarce and pricey. Bulky trash day in Allendale is 2nd Wed of the month. Folks are always putting out perfectly good appliances, housewares and furniture because they are too lazy to donate. Good luck.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
As a 2x divorce veteran, I will say congrats on the end of a bad relationship. Things can and will get better. They may also get worse before they get better.
It also may be the perfect time to end other toxic relationships in your life.

I also might have some dishes and cookware. I’m in central NJ.

best of luck.

THATmanMANNY

I have near full set plates and bowls.

I travel through Bergen for work

could possible have old set of utensils

a dresser too. Not fancy.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I have a few rentals available soon in Bloomfield. Not Ridgewood but probably cheaper.
Coming from BK, Bloomfield might be a good option. It’s pretty diverse and closer to the city. All the riding in Essex is fight club, but there is a lot of it nearby.

mattsrabbit

Thanks to all. I ended up getting a place in Nyack and I think I've got all the furniture I'm gonna need.. I think lol

PS, I'm on the NJ side of the river, will certainly be joining the MTBNJ group rides regularly, especially when my new trail bike arrives!

Top Bottom