why we wear our helmets

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And I agree there is no 100% win. I would say the light road bike/mountain bike helmet is at least the 90% solution, which is probably all you could ever reasonably design. A 100% solution would be not to ride the bike at all.

What if your house blew up while you would otherwise be riding your bike?

SpartaBard

A friend of mine who is admittedly accident prone decided to ride Mercer one day sans helmet, hit his head on low hanging branch, got knocked out for a while and woke up confused, bruised, and without his bike. He was out long enough for his bike to get stolen. Imagine if he had been riding somewhere with rocks and hills.

I have never had a problem with low branches, what is the deal with you guys? :D

bruce.b

Dickwad
Norm writes.....
>>Interesting story Bruce. But to be fair that's just guessing on your part. <<

Whoa! Wait a minute here Norm, you need to backtrack if you want to claim fairness. Of course it's just guessing on my part as I didn't run a series of controlled studies, crashing that way with and without a helmet. I'll leave that up to someone else with 250 or so brains and necks to destroy.

EVERY CLAIM of helmets preventing brain damage in a crash is JUST GUESSING on the part of those involved. My story is exactly the same situation, no more or less a guessing game than anyone else's story. I thought that was obvious, but perhaps not.

I said twice I almost always wear a helmet, so yes, I think it's an excellent idea. If we want to go by the *facts* (depending on which study you want to believe, perhaps), we wouldn't be wearing em.
bruce

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Norm writes.....
>>Interesting story Bruce. But to be fair that's just guessing on your part. <<

Whoa! Wait a minute here Norm, you need to backtrack if you want to claim fairness. Of course it's just guessing on my part as I didn't run a series of controlled studies, crashing that way with and without a helmet. I'll leave that up to someone else with 250 or so brains and necks to destroy.

EVERY CLAIM of helmets preventing brain damage in a crash is JUST GUESSING on the part of those involved. My story is exactly the same situation, no more or less a guessing game than anyone else's story. I thought that was obvious, but perhaps not.

I said twice I almost always wear a helmet, so yes, I think it's an excellent idea. If we want to go by the *facts* (depending on which study you want to believe, perhaps), we wouldn't be wearing em.
bruce

As I have said in both directions one story is just one anecdotal story. My point is that one's saying, "I firmly believe" doesn't really mean much of anything. I may or may believe that a helmet helps or hurts me, but that doesn't make it so. People hear a "my friend" story and think that's the bottom line, when the "one off" stories are always the ones we hear about and don't really give much of an indication of anything.

There are indeed guesses and there are statistics, which I've said earlier don't support wearing a helmet so much. Statistics are not guesses. But statistics do not necessarily reveal facts, at least as we perceive it all. Just because more people get injured on a bike when it's sunny out doesn't mean riding in the rain is safer. It just means more people ride when the sun is out. It's not always so obvious, of course.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I don't feel right without a helmet. Then again, I'm the big puss that wears shin guards too.

True story: about 4 years ago a buddy of mine was riding up the road at Skyline Drive (this is the semi-paved road that goes from the top lot down to the lake) and he passed a man and woman were riding downhill, no helmets. Greg continued up to the top lot, then came down the yellow trail and saw them on the side of the road as he popped off the singletrack back onto the road. The woman was hysterical. "My boyfriend, he crashed!" So, Greg runs up and sees a guy with, let's just say major head trauma, and almost gets woozy from the sight. He calls 911 and they get an Oakland paramedic up there asap.

Apparently, the two were racing and they got their wheels caught up. A tumble later, he's off the bike and into woods. Head on rock or tree, don't remember actually.

There is now one of those memorials you see on the roadside, but on that road. This guy did not make it. I have not been down the road in a while but its on the right side about 3/4 of the way down. I used to see it all the time.

Would a helmet have helped? I dunno... but it wouldn't have hurt.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
few years ago a guy i know wrecked up at the tourne and had to be medivac'd out. he split his helmet in half.

sadly, he's not the same guy...but he is ALIVE.

i don't even ride to the store w/o a helmet anymore.

Top Bottom