Why We Ride...Stories from the Races

EABODS

I was having a great race yesterday. I knew from pre-riding JH that there was no way one could win if one didn't get out front early, so I gassed it off the line and listened behind me as people unclipped and bobbled through the first technical section. I caught the 19-29 guys, caught the ss guys (except for one) and, 1/2 way through the second lap, I was already thinking about the feeling of throwing my hands in the air across the finish line. Then I flatted in the front. I quickly pulled the wheel, got the tube out, put the new one in and then hit it with my CO 2. Unfortunately, I must have put a hole in the tube when putting the new tube in because both of my CO 2 cartridges just blew through it. At this point 2nd place went by (I had about 4 minutes on him) and I was getting ready to walk my bike back to the start line and DNF.

After most of the 19-29 and 30-34 sport field had gone by, a group of Expert/Semi-Pro riders pulled up and, to make a short story shorter, gave me a tube and Luis Francisco used his own CO 2 cartridge and then told me to "get going". I still managed to finish 5th overall.

Yetserday I got a lot more reward than winning the race. I got the sense that we are all friends out there, willing to do what ever takes to win and help others win as well. I'll replace the tube and the cartridge, but I know it wouldn't matter if I did or not. The true beauty of biking is in the selflessness, companionship, and camraderie that comes from the sport. That said, I sure do miss the mtbnj blow-up doll on the course.

Hope ully this thread could become a place where people with free time at work can share their stories on why this sport rules.

EABODS

VTC

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Same sort of thing happened to me at Tymor last year. I blew my chain and didn't have a chain tool that wasn't rusted together. So one of the kids comes along and hooks me up with his. Turns out to be Eileen's teammate, riding for Montclair Bikery. Saved me a walk back to the start and a DNF, as it was on the first lap.

On the road a few weeks ago and I'm having a terrible time out there. A flat tire and a spare with a hole in it. Patches are not holding, I'm a retard. Someone comes by and gives me a tube. It's still in my tire right now.

At this point the time before and after the race is why I go out there. I enjoyed the race a lot yesterday but I enjoy the people more.

Mare

Montclair Bikery

I am so freaking hungry today. I read this as "Montclair Bakery" and suddenly pictured cupcakes with lots of icing.

It's nice to start to see the same faces (of course new ones too) and learn about everyone... so many cool people out there to make it fun.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Racing is not my thing, but I really enjoy the atmosphere. My son just turned 5 and I took him to Jungle Habitat to see the spectacle. I am not sure if it was the music, the bikes, sitting under the mtbNJ "tent" or all of the really nice people who we spoke to, but he had a blast!

We were in the woods watching the "Sports" go by, and a couple of racers said "hello" to him. One of the NYCMTB guys (Jamie?) went by, and smiled and rang his bell. The look on Colin's face was priceless when I said that was a way of saying "hi".

The people and the camaraderie really add to my enjoyment of riding. I hope my children develop a life-long love of riding, as well.

kimrey

Same sort of thing happened to me at Tymor last year. I blew my chain and didn't have a chain tool that wasn't rusted together. So one of the kids comes along and hooks me up with his. Turns out to be Eileen's teammate, riding for Montclair Bikery. Saved me a walk back to the start and a DNF, as it was on the first lap.

On the road a few weeks ago and I'm having a terrible time out there. A flat tire and a spare with a hole in it. Patches are not holding, I'm a retard. Someone comes by and gives me a tube. It's still in my tire right now.

At this point the time before and after the race is why I go out there. I enjoyed the race a lot yesterday but I enjoy the people more.
I'm guessing by Eileen's teamate you mean Marshall who took second in junior sport yesterday. He wrenches at Montclair Bikery as well as rides for them and is top notch.
My first ride with him was a few months back. I lost a brake pad and was going to walk my bike out and he brainstorms for a second and ends up making a braking pad for me out several pieces of a punctured tube another guy had. I was able to finish the ride on the bit of ingenuity.
If mechanic schools had scholarships he would definitely deserve one. Then again he might teach the teachers a few things.
He and Eileen were actually the ones to convince me to race yesterday. I'm glad I listened to them.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I stopped to lend a hand to my friend hazzy after he got his pedal caught on the fence wire and ripped off the bike. Although he told me to get going and wondered why I stopped at all, hahahaha Anyone else notice that cable lying across the trail? At the top of the big climb when you had to go through the hole in the fence?

There was a guy behind me on a single speed going up the switchbacks that was really helpful. As I was really tired on my second time going up them I kept thinking in my head how riding a SS through there would really suck. So I was pushing as hard as I could as to not slow him up and make him dismount. (I hate being that guy) As a result, I think I made it up faster on the second lap.

Eileen

He and Eileen were actually the ones to convince me to race yesterday. I'm glad I listened to them.

Glad you had fun :getsome:

As for the race, I felt really good and had a blast. It was the first one this year that felt like a race and not a long ride. The course was awesome and Town Cycle did a great job. I was excited to finish 4th :D

BiknBen

As I entered JH yesterday, I came upon a Beginner racer walking his bike on the road next to the switchback climb. I stopped to offer him a hand. He had taken a bad spill and was in too much pain to ride. I threw his bike on my rack and drove him the rest of the way to the parking area.

That had to be good for some karma points.

I keep a bike tool kit and floor pump in my car at all times. Other people have used them more than me. ;)

onetracker

Rockin' at JH

Super fun race and tons of cool folks hanging around. I agree that this was a top notch event. I totally agree that getting out front was the only way to get a gap and find a rhythm. Anyway, we went up after the sport race and cut that cable out of the way. A friend of mine also caught that cable during the race and ended up "touching down" as they say.

Catch you all at blue. Anyone have any hints about the course at Blue yet?

Pokgirl

Spork
I am so freaking hungry today. I read this as "Montclair Bakery" and suddenly pictured cupcakes with lots of icing.

It's nice to start to see the same faces (of course new ones too) and learn about everyone... so many cool people out there to make it fun.

LOL!!! Nice to see you in the preride! Man, I am sore today, esp. the upper body (and the areas of carnage from my endo)!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
One of the best things I love about racing are the spectators. It's awesome when I'm completely trashed 3 laps in on some painful section and someone screams "Go Jim!!" One of the best examples was way back in the beginning of the season when Jdog and Freddy Brown were standing on Jay's pickup making cowbell noises and screaming at all the pro/experts as we came by, it was awesome!! That was one of my best Expert finishes yet. Sometimes a little encouragement is all you need to kick it into 1 higher gear and push a little harder on the pedals:eek:

-Jim.

And PS, thanks to everyone who yells at me during races, you guys ROCK!!

Top Bottom