Why We Ride.....Stories from the Races

EABODS

I was having a great race yesterday. I knew from pre-riding JH that there was no way one could win if one didn't get out front early, so I gassed it off the line and listened behind me as people unclipped and bobbled through the first technical section. I caught the 19-29 guys, caught the ss guys (except for one) and, 1/2 way through the second lap, I was already thinking about the feeling of throwing my hands in the air across the finish line. Then I flatted in the front. I quickly pulled the wheel, got the tube out, put the new one in and then hit it with my CO 2. Unfortunately, I must have put a hole in the tube when putting the new tube in because both of my CO 2 cartridges just blew through it. At this point 2nd place went by (I had about 4 minutes on him) and I was getting ready to walk my bike back to the start line and DNF.

After most of the 19-29 and 30-34 sport field had gone by, a group of Expert/Semi-Pro riders pulled up and, to make a short story shorter, gave me a tube and Luis Francisco used his own CO 2 cartridge and then told me to "get going". I still managed to finish 5th overall.

Yetserday I got a lot more reward than winning the race. I got the sense that we are all friends out there, willing to do what ever takes to win and help others win as well. I'll replace the tube and the cartridge, but I know it wouldn't matter if I did or not. The true beauty of biking is in the selflessness, companionship, and camraderie that comes from the sport. That said, I sure do miss the mtbnj blow-up doll on the course.

EABODS

VTC

Kmoodymz3

Sorry about the non-win but it sounds like it was still a great race for you.

BTW I've seen this happen to others with tubes that have been bouncing around in seat packs. They get a hole in them with all the bouncing around against tools and dirt. I always wrap my spare tube in an old sock to keep it clean and away from tools.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
After most of the 19-29 and 30-34 sport field had gone by, a group of Expert/Semi-Pro riders pulled up and, to make a short story shorter, gave me a tube and Luis Francisco used his own CO 2 cartridge and then told me to "get going". I still managed to finish 5th overall.

Yetserday I got a lot more reward than winning the race. I got the sense that we are all friends out there, willing to do what ever takes to win and help others win as well. I'll replace the tube and the cartridge, but I know it wouldn't matter if I did or not. The true beauty of biking is in the selflessness, companionship, and camraderie that comes from the sport. That said, I sure do miss the mtbnj blow-up doll on the course.

EABODS

VTC

That is the whole thing to a point we tend to help each other out.
I always carry spare tubes and such and even as I do not race I have asked the " you ok ? "
question every time I see a fellow biker down be it road or mtb I think that is one of the best parts of this sport the feeling that we are in it together..

Top Bottom