Why the Elevation on your GPS Receiver isn't "Close Enough"

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
How can I find the flattest possible route from point My house to my job, while only using back roads? Is there a mapping site with accurate elevation? Is this possible?

I have not read this thread so sorry in advance if it was already discussed.

no.
(but try the bicycle option of google maps.)

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How can I find the flattest possible route from point My house to my job, while only using back roads? Is there a mapping site with accurate elevation? Is this possible?

Is bikeroutetoaster still a thing?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Overall, I think they are pretty good. As far as the route making tools go, it probably falls into it is close enough category. You can also have the topo later on when creating the route to see places to avoid

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
lol, people just realizing Garmin Connect, Strava and Gamin Head unit elevation data is crap:

Wasn't this a question of their own validation, though? I mean, wasn't it cleared by Hell 500 based on their own bad data, independent of what Strava said? Not arguing that the device data isn't crap (it is!) but I think in this case it's not that Morton relied on Strava to get his elevation. He based his 42 repeats on a test sample of the climb he rode a few days earlier and then asked the everlasting site if that was right and they said yes before he did the attempt.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Wasn't this a question of their own validation, though? I mean, wasn't it cleared by Hell 500 based on their own bad data, independent of what Strava said? Not arguing that the device data isn't crap (it is!) but I think in this case it's not that Morton relied on Strava to get his elevation. He based his 42 repeats on a test sample of the climb he rode a few days earlier and then asked the everlasting site if that was right and they said yes before he did the attempt.
I’m so confused after reading that, so I’ll just agree.

Reactions: rlb

goldsbar

That guy did 7.5 hours at 276 watts. Damn! What I can't figure out, if you're going through all the trouble to set a record, why do it at 7,300 feet? Drive to a sea level climb and kick ass.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
That guy did 7.5 hours at 276 watts. Damn! What I can't figure out, if you're going through all the trouble to set a record, why do it at 7,300 feet? Drive to a sea level climb and kick ass.
Phil Gaimon touches on this as the other guy that now has the record did it at elevation too. Something about something being more efficient at elevation.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Is there a smooth road that goes from 0 to 7K feet anywhere in the world?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I’m a nobody and did 295 for 5 hours in february. Just sayin...

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I’m so confused after reading that, so I’ll just agree.

Good idea.

Seriously, I'm just saying that if you read the story, Morton checked with the website before starting to ensure that his calculations based on a small pre-ride were correct - he did a ride a few days early that he used to extrapolate the total laps he'd need. Then he contacted the website and said "This is what I calculated. Am I right?" And they said, "yes". So he did it and then they came back and said, "Sorry. It wasn't right after all." SO it's kind f their fuck-up, not the GPS or Strava's. They all seemed to already know the unit wasn't reliable.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
200_d.gif

Good idea.

Seriously, I'm just saying that if you read the story, Morton checked with the website before starting to ensure that his calculations based on a small pre-ride were correct - he did a ride a few days early that he used to extrapolate the total laps he'd need. Then he contacted the website and said "This is what I calculated. Am I right?" And they said, "yes". So he did it and then they came back and said, "Sorry. It wasn't right after all." SO it's kind f their fuck-up, not the GPS or Strava's. They all seemed to already know the unit wasn't reliable.

Top Bottom