Why so many Niners for sale in the classifieds?

al415

Banned
Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just a coincidence? Is it just a end-of-season race frame cull? Or are owners just looking to make room for some new Niner unobtanium frame? I can understand when 3 or 4 Marys show up at once. Mary has long been accepted as the gateway 29er. I'd wager that many move on from Mary to Niner. So how come all these bikes that represent the next step in the ladder are on the chopping block? Is everyone going full custom? Switching back to vintage steel 26" bikes!? :D Or is there a different reason for every one of the four that are for sale right now?

it is because walter, jake and norm's niner boners have calmed. people unload them in fear of not having the it bike.

You guys will be back on 26ers before you know it.

I did my job and converted everyone to Fisher?

-Jim.

Place your bets now, how long before Norm is on a Fisher?

Moving to 36ers?

The NEW Kool Aid

36er-mountain-bike.jpg

it is because walter, jake and norm's niner boners have calmed. people unload them in fear of not having the it bike.

You guys will be back on 26ers before you know it.

Place your bets now, how long before Norm is on a Fisher?

meh, i planned on selling my niner before i even bought it. :D

as for norm...well...i wouldn't say that fisher is out of the question but there are certainly other options brewing too...

it is because walter, jake and norm's niner boners have calmed.

Yeah I'm doing really poorly this year on those Niners, huh?

as for norm...well...i wouldn't say that fisher is out of the question but there are certainly other options brewing too...

Maybe a new cross bike before long. But like Maurice, I'm done pissing away money on the endless mountain biking money pit for at least a little while.

Guess it was just spring time blues? Results and bike lust are unrelated.

I came to the conclusion that I can't go buy a new bike every time mine gets dirty.

I actually think that results are a motivation for your bike purchases, especially when you race a bunch. If you have a bike you feel really good on, it's hard to want to part with it. The Niner SS is a great bike. I've had nothing but good races and rides on it. Never crossed my mind to sell that bike and it's made me a 50/50 gears/SS rider.

I do agree with this. But what happens when you are at the top of the heap equipment wise?

First, a definition. My definition:

Top of the Heap - this is actually defined as the top of the "slightly unreasonable" heap. For instance, if you buy a $7000 road bike, that's the top of the heap. Sure, you can drop $10k or even $20k on another more expensive road bike. But let's be real, if you drop $7k on a road bike everyone will know you're riding some serious bike and that it's pretty much the end of your rope with respect to buying a bike.

Given that, and the reasonable assumption that my road bike is about as Top of the Heap as I'm going to get, the answer would be, to buy a power meter. At this stage, I cannot imagine what else I would get for the road bike, save for carbon bars. But that's a drop in the bucket in this game really.

Then I guess you move on to things like coaching and so on. I'm not there, nor do I see myself going there, even though I did spend $$ on an actual training plan for cross season.

As for the casual rider, I'm not sure. Power meters, coaches, nor training plans aren't in your reality. So maybe an alternate bike, different brand but just as blingy.

FTR, I have 3 Niners because 2 were dropped in a fire sale. I got lucky with the SS admittedly. I woudln't have gone out and bought 3 of the same brand.

First, a definition. My definition:

Top of the Heap - this is actually defined as the top of the "slightly unreasonable" heap. For instance, if you buy a $7000 road bike, that's the top of the heap. Sure, you can drop $10k or even $20k on another more expensive road bike. But let's be real, if you drop $7k on a road bike everyone will know you're riding some serious bike and that it's pretty much the end of your rope with respect to buying a bike.

Given that, and the reasonable assumption that my road bike is about as Top of the Heap as I'm going to get, the answer would be, to buy a power meter. At this stage, I cannot imagine what else I would get for the road bike, save for carbon bars. But that's a drop in the bucket in this game really.

Then I guess you move on to things like coaching and so on. I'm not there, nor do I see myself going there, even though I did spend $$ on an actual training plan for cross season.

As for the casual rider, I'm not sure. Power meters, coaches, nor training plans aren't in your reality. So maybe an alternate bike, different brand but just as blingy.

FTR, I have 3 Niners because 2 were dropped in a fire sale. I got lucky with the SS admittedly. I woudln't have gone out and bought 3 of the same brand.

Wow, now that is an explanation.

You should get carbon bars, the are dreamy. And buy some expensive shorts so you can see how much the champion chamios suck :D

In other off topic stuff, I am a casual rider who just bought a HRM. I am still confused on to where that is going.

Back
Top Bottom