Why no Clydesdale Classes?

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
Just curious why there arent any over 200 classes in the regional races? Are there not that many of us? I'd be down with racing if there was such a thing.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Yeah, the clydesdale thing is fo' sho' a sandbagger class. If you're over 6 foot, it's not hard to weigh 200 pounds and still be in great shape. They should have a height-to-weight ratio:D

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
Yeah, the clydesdale thing is fo' sho' a sandbagger class. If you're over 6 foot, it's not hard to weigh 200 pounds and still be in great shape. They should have a height-to-weight ratio:D

i guess you got a point there

or how about a height to waist ratio? or a minimum of size 36" or 38" pants size.

xc62701

Mandatory BMI testing :D If you're over the certain % you're a clydesdale.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Mandatory BMI testing :D If you're over the certain % you're a clydesdale.

BMI is crazy stuff though. At 168 lbs and 5'8" my BMI is 25.5, technically, I'm overweight, maybe I can be competitive after all;)

-Jim.

Takedown

According to BMI I should be dead. The Clydesdale class should be 250-300 with the over 300 being the Unlimited class.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
BMI is shit...proven fact that the skeletal weight is different on everyone...

Take it easy, take it easy. I believe bones only make up about 15% of a person's weight and your standard deviation on that isn't much, maybe 1 pound per 100. Most people have average size bones. Your muscle mass is going to play a bigger role in determining your BMI.

Having said that, BMI is a rough indicator at best. Michael Jordan was something like a 27-29 BMI during his playing career. So there ya go.

The Kalmyk

Maybe true...Who know's...If that's the case with MJ than according to the BMI standard he played his whole career overweight:rolleyes:....The formula makes sense but to categorize someone as overweight when they clearly are not (MJ and Jim), is shit

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Yeah, the clydesdale thing is fo' sho' a sandbagger class.

If I'm running singlespeed classes, I might as well run a sport clyde class. It's only going to pull some folks out of the normally overcrowded 30-39 and 40-49 sport classes anyway. And sport class is more about racing for fun than racing to win. Like SS, if it makes it more fun for people to come out and race in that class (and if it draws more racers out, because they *want* to race in that class), then it's not a bad thing.

There are, however, too many classes. But problem is that everyone thinks everyone *else's* class is the one that should get cut. ;)

Things will be changing next year as Semi-pro goes away and the classes change to Cat 1,2,3.

BiknBen

The formula makes sense but to categorize someone as overweight when they clearly are not (MJ and Jim), is shit

BMI is a gov't scale created for the masses. It is known to put athletes and more muscular people into the overweight/obese category. The further you are from the norm (pun) the less accurate the scale is. Jordan is 7' tall. BMI no worky for NBA stars.

My BMI went from 28.5 to 21. I do NOT support the inclusion of a Clydesdale category. ;)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
BMI is crazy stuff though. At 168 lbs and 5'8" my BMI is 25.5, technically, I'm overweight, maybe I can be competitive after all;)

-Jim.

Seriously, im 5'10ish and 197. Last I checked I was 12.9% body fat. But my BMI was close to 30 and the readout on my heart rate monitor was blinking "O B E S I T Y". hahahaha All I need is a good night out at Jose Tejas and I can crack 200 with ease, hahahahaha

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Another weight ratio to think of. A 100# racer on a 25# bike is pulling the same amount as a 200# rider on a 50# bike. (just using rough numbers at a 25% dif.)

Top Bottom