Why is orange dot closed? Your input to MCPC may help it open.

Berms&Boofs

I have been getting questions about the orange dot closure so I am posting the reason here.

The superintendent of trails at MCPC, Amy Lutsko, closed it due to unsanctioned b-lines (technical trail features- TTFs) that went over sensitive areas. Amy put up signs to keep people on the official trail and off the b-lines multiple times but someone kept opening the b-lines back up...so she closed the trail to protect the sensitive plants. She is an amazing MTB advocate and helped design and approve the new orange loop and the purple re-reoute. She is not against technical trail features (as anyone who has ridden the new stuff knows). But she needs to protect the sensitive species in the parks she manages. She wants the MTB community to be involved and work with her for all TTF proposals instead of just building them without asking. It is also important that we respect any closure signs.

If you used the orange dot trail, please email her and let her know that you enjoyed the trail and would like to see it opened again.

Amy’s email:
ALutsko@morrisparks.net

There is hope to reopen the trail if enough people speak up and we can get community involvement on this issue.

Thanks!

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I second that Amy is an amazing advocate for multi use trails and is a very personable and reasonable person. If she has closed a trail it’s for good reason, but will listen to user input. I haven’t ridden the orange trail in years so I don’t know what it’s become but it can’t hurt to write her and hopefully come to a compromise. I do think b-lines in general are a problem if they deviate from the approved/sustainable trail tread.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's my adopt-a-trail. I only noticed 2 B-lines on that trail, one rock roller on the right and an alternate line over a small rock formation. I'm pretty bad at spotting alternate lines though, especially at the Tourne. 30 years of riding the same stuff have me fairly programmed. I'll go walk it and see if there's something I was missing.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Not being too familiar with the park, i never even thought of riding this trail because it doesn't connect to the main trails. :shrug:
Now i'm intrigued though, but will respect the closure.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions