Why did I just enjoy riding my crappy hard tail more than my Epic?

gtluke

The Moped
I did the Thanksgiving ride today at Wawayanda and since my epic is broke AGIAN (another broken rear shock) it's in the shop for warranty repair. I had my rockhopper comp disc with me and I swear, I was better on it. The technical stuff was easier on it! I was not expecting that at all. The only thing it lacked was climbing. My epic climbs AWESOME. Its got that hardtail power (when the brain works :rolleyes:) yet can absorb the ruts and rocks so I can sit firmly in the seat and pedal and not worry.
Is it me? Is there something wrong with me?
Is it the tires? Maybe its the tires. I have the 2.1 UST weirwolf's on the Epic and the stock specialized Fasttracks 2.0's on the Rockhopper, but for some reason they appear and feel wider than the 2.1 weirwolf's

The only thing that I was annoyed with is that my Rockhopper shifts like crap and has like no brakes. But whatever, am I falling for this ridged bullcrap like you guys? say it ain't soo!!!!

BTW wawayanda is AWESOME and thanks guys for riding with me! Rich, Adam, Velocityboy :D

gtluke

The Moped
They are very very similar in size. Both Specialized medium's
Why is finding the right bike so difficult? this sucks!
I guess this is why I own 5 cars, bikes will catch up soom I assume.

BiknBen

It could be a variation of New-Bikeitis. Everyone always feels like a champ on a new bike.

Could it also have something to do with the group you were riding with? Rock gardens and technical stuff are often easier when you are following someone. You see what works or doesn't work for them and can adjust as you ride. When riding ahead of them you tend to push harder cause you don't want to slow others or get in the way.

In a nut-shell...when you are having fun in a fun group, you tend to ride better. That is why we enjoy riding in groups. ;)

gtluke

The Moped
Could be peer pressure. I was in the front for the tough stuff on rattlesnake. I managed every single obsticle too. The only thing that hung me up is water crossing.
I really like that whole place, especially rattlesnake. That was a great challenge and I'm still shocked I didnt' fall over any of it.
:D

BicyclePhD

Jamis Bicycles
Shop Keep
I guess this is why I own 5 cars, bikes will catch up soom I assume.

just b/c both are specialized med the frame are totaly diffrent

your rockhopper has a TT of 565mm if it is the 15in frame with a 73/70 seat/head angle and a 1050 wheel base

the epic is 589mm 74.2/70 with a 1098 wheel base

also the specialized tires are generally fatter despite what they mark them as

boris_159

I just recently switched from FS to fully rigid SS and I've noticed that even in a little over a week I am a lot faster. Obviously, climbs are faster with the rigid but even on technical stuff I am forced to pick better lines which makes me faster. I'm having a crapload more fun now too.

I have to slow down on the crazy downhills, but I like going up more than coming down anyway.

Last edited:

MTBTyler

I just recently switched from FS to fully rigid SS and I've noticed that even in a little over a week I am a lot faster. Obviously, climbs are faster with the rigid but even on technical stuff I am forced to pick better lines which makes me faster.
This is a very good point.:)

gtluke

The Moped
oh sorry the rockhopper is a 17"
I"m wondering if I would like something like a 29" hardtail, but I feel on my limited time riding on 29ers that the 29" wheel make sthe bike less twitchy and manoeuvrable and more of a juggernaut

BicyclePhD

Jamis Bicycles
Shop Keep
ur RH is also a 29 ?
595 tt
72/70

and the 29 climbs better than a 26 also better in technical

Wazu

I have a Specialized full suspension that sits in my shed. Nothin' wrong with it either. The cockpit feels more cramped compared to my hardtail SS even though the measurements are similar between bars n seat n pedals. Maybe the Stumpy really is more cramped when both suspensions are under simultaneous load. I dunno, just seems like maybe I use more ancillary muscles combating duel suspension rebounding with Stumpy. Plus the extra 7 or 8 lbs doesn't help. I'll never buy another dually unless its downhill specific.

gtluke

The Moped
both my bikes are 26"
I've ridden a few 29ers, but not for very long. I didn't much like them honestly but I figure it takes some getting used to.

gtluke

The Moped
I'm looking forward to a fitness level where I can use a single speed 29er, but I need my low gear too much now. I also like the really challenging technical climbs, which you really need granny gear for.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
go for the SS - don't worry about your fitness level - it'll improve.

when i had my SS i thought i wasn't in good enough shape for it... and i wasn't... but i improved so fast on the thing. it totally changed the way i ride.

The Kalmyk

SS speed will get you off the saddle and using more upper body...Geared keeps you in the saddle and using more legs...I love my SS and my full suspension because they are so opposite

boris_159

go for the SS - don't worry about your fitness level - it'll improve.

when i had my SS i thought i wasn't in good enough shape for it... and i wasn't... but i improved so fast on the thing. it totally changed the way i ride.

I was worried too, even though I'm a relatively young buck in good shape. I ride on a "Mountain" or at least thats what you New Jersians call it (Its not even a hill if I was in West Virginia), anyway I took on both of the hardest hills I've found in New Jersey on the same ride and I stomped on the pedals.

I climbed both hills faster and with less total effort on my SS than I ever did with a geary. I found that I worked my whole body, pulling up on the bars to keep my rear wheel on the ground and standing up but constantly changing my body language to fit the trail. This turned out to be much more effective IMO than spinning twice the time in a low gear and burning my legs out to the point that I needed to stop for a minute or two at the top.

The Kalmyk

I was worried too, even though I'm a relatively young buck in good shape. I ride on a "Mountain" or at least thats what you New Jersians call it (Its not even a hill if I was in West Virginia), anyway I took on both of the hardest hills I've found in New Jersey on the same ride and I stomped on the pedals.

Ride Cushetunk on a SS...While it probably is no comparison to "West Virginia", YOU WON'T MAKE IT TO THE TOP WITHOUT DISMOUNTING....Peace

Last edited:
Top Bottom