Why can't we have jumps?

don

IMO/IME this always depends on what time of year you hit stuff like this. You get a little rain on a Thu/Fri right before a gorgeous weekend and by Monday shit is burned up. Sort of like hitting KT after that festival they have every year.

But I'm guessing. We were there Labor Day and everything seemed pretty crisp. Looked to me like they had put in some work at the end of the summer for sure. But I am a hack so take this for what it's worth.
Oh yeah - the amount of traffic and various levels of that traffic and conditions all are so damaging to terrain like tabletops.

don

Found an old pic of a buddy riding a really fun table that had 2 lips and was a right hip. Depending on a terrain a table can be pretty easily built using the natural shape of the ground. This one we really didn't have to "fill the middle" more like cut the lip and landing.

What made this table feel like a double was the step up landing. That foot tall bump gave your eyeball a spot to knife into. Usually we would place "sets" right next to trees within the side of the landing or lip but it ended up there and wasn't bad.

Sorry for the blur - screen shot from vid.

Attachments

• table_top.jpg
    table_top.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 35

Captain Brainstorm

That Flo line is an amazing line and I'd kill for one here in NJ. When I was up there last summer I rode it at least a half dozen times in one trip and saw so many levels of riders. What stood out to me were the number of kids and ladies running it and having a blast. Like you said multi-level. The table tops on that line aren't super great and probably due to the amount of riders on it. I felt the tables right at the end were a little "dudy" where you are warmed up and want something twice the size. Maybe a second bigger line at the very end/bottom could be done.

The more fun stuff seemed to be the jumpable roller sections and of course the berms.
They'll never build anything too huge at Cady's, too many riders of differing skillsets and way too much traffic. Over spring break it was a zoo up there from all the cabin fever sufferers. There are some gnarly lines off the beaten path, but they're not marked or on trailforks, and the locals run a strict no-strava policy if they take you back there. If more gnarly terrain is what you seek, then you'll need to head to Perry Hill or Cochran's.

I've personally found bigger drops and features (same policies as above), here in NJ.

don

They'll never build anything too huge at Cady's, too many riders of differing skillsets and way too much traffic. Over spring break it was a zoo up there from all the cabin fever sufferers. There are some gnarly lines off the beaten path, but they're not marked or on trailforks, and the locals run a strict no-strava policy if they take you back there. If more gnarly terrain is what you seek, then you'll need to head to Perry Hill or Cochran's.

I've personally found bigger drops and features (same policies as above), here in NJ.
Very good points. I usually just stay in Stowe when up there for convenience (plus the riding is really good and plentiful) but Cochran's has me interested. Do they run a shuttle service or is it pedal up for the mtn trails?

Captain Brainstorm

Very good points. I usually just stay in Stowe when up there for convenience (plus the riding is really good and plentiful) but Cochran's has me interested. Do they run a shuttle service or is it pedal up for the mtn trails?
Cochran's is pedal only, its the "new" Perry Hill, as they like to say. I still like the old Perry Hill too. Stowe will also be expanding over the next couple years, I have family on the local VMBA chapter that gives me the blow by blow, and also yells at me for riding the "out of network" trails, so I don't tell them anymore.:p I now go where the locals take me and obey Fight Club rules. When I ride "in-network", I can do a 15-20 mile ride easily. I also always get the Trapps pass which gives me access to everything allows me to link things at my leisure.

Reactions: don

johnbryanpeters

IMO/IME this always depends on what time of year you hit stuff like this. You get a little rain on a Thu/Fri right before a gorgeous weekend and by Monday shit is burned up. Sort of like hitting KT after that festival they have every year.

But I'm guessing. We were there Labor Day and everything seemed pretty crisp. Looked to me like they had put in some work at the end of the summer for sure. But I am a hack so take this for what it's worth.
The last NEMBAfest was in 2019 and similar events are unlikely to occur.

Jeffreywoliver

The cool thing is the town is bought-in to the idea of being a destination for cyclists being the end of the Columbia Trail.
The initial parts of Nassau System were successful, an expansion was pitched, improvements, connections -
little pump track, flow trails. All with the blessing of the town (due to solid individual efforts)

It was all very cool, and in government glacial time frames, they are the exception. I think they started digging in 2013 (???)

@Jeffreywoliver - is there a documented history? The High Bridge website seems to be unmaintained

those are grade reversals for water management. Sometimes there is more water to deal with than others.
We started in 2011, expanded to Springside in 2013. It’s been a long journey with a few bumps, and a few folks trying to ruin it, but mostly quite good luck.

Top Bottom