Why are some shop mechanics so arrogant?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I read mechanics posting about rich, arrogant customers and I appreciate the honesty. Sadly, I can’t help but think that most shops essentially need demanding a-holes who will blow $10k on a bike. The economics of the industry almost require these clients.

It sucks for the shop when you’re hanging on such personalities. Part of me gets it when I roll in with a dope bike I built from parts off the internet and the shop staff are turned off. Doesn’t matter how considerate I am.

I will excuse this to a degree- but whose fault is this?

Let’s be honest, the pressure is on shops economically and that may make the relationship worse with the buying public.

If everyone who visits your shop must be sized up based on their perceived ability to drop coin on something new, your view of the public is skewed.

I think rather than blame lousy customers or rude mechanics for these probs, we might benefit from taking a step back to examine what is unsustainable about the industry. Two more cents...

10k bike sales almost never go through a mechanic, that's what salespeople are for. We'll end up doing the build but usually have little interaction with the customer. That group also has a tiny impact on the profitability of a shop, bread and butter stuff like normal tune-ups and selling hybrids is what keeps the lights on.

Johnny Utah

For the record I didn't have an argument or disagreement with said mechanic, he just always has a crap attitude when I've asked questions in the past. I genuinely want to learn about wrenching on my own bike. The vibe was always "look it up on your own or don't ask." What put me over the top was letting me walk out with the wrong part when I showed him a photo of what I was replacing requiring me to come back to the store and then saying "I knew you didnt have it right" when I came back. Jerk move on his part, if he didnt want to be bothered 10 mins later say "I think you might have the wrong number, this is what you need." I would have taken his advice since he's the pro and I'm learning.
I am not trying to be a dick but rather bluntly honest; that is kind of like going into a popular restaurant on a busy Saturday night, walking into the kitchen during the packed dinner service at 6:30pm and asking the chef if he can show you how to make the recipe for their famous secret sauce that everyone raves about, while you wait of course. This way you won't have to make the drive down to their place for your favorite dish any longer.

Some may look at it that you are asking how to do the work on your own going forward so you don't have to pay for it (essential stop paying the wrench you are asking). And you are asking for free advice while the wrench is trying to make a buck. You may have spent a ton of cash at the shop but unless you are greasing the mechanic every time he or she is still taking down their hourly wage.

That being said this forum has a shop thread that can be helpful as well as the countless hours of video through youtube and other internet services. Or you can go the old school way, trial and error enough knowledge until someone will let you work at a shop.

labor rates.jpg

drabina

When I needed a maintenance on my bike few years back, I brought it to the store near where I work. I did not even get to ask a question. I was immediately greeted with "oh, you brought a cheap bike". Sure the bike wasn't a $5K full suspension but an entry level Fuji bike. Well, that shop did not get my business. On the other hand the bike shop in the town where I currently live is a totally different story. They maintain all 3 of my bikes, they are nice guys to talk to and advice is free with no attitude. We get service, buy parts or sometimes just stop by to look at the bikes as we live just 2 blocks away. All around great experience.

So yes, attitude matters. I understand that they may be overworked and underpaid but that applies to most of the jobs these days. No reason to be rude.

Top Bottom