Who's Hanging Up The Rig For The Winter For Their Snow Slider?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I plan on riding through the winter.

Skiing question for those w/kids ?

What age did you start them and which resort? Need the whole rental package. My kids are 7,5,2 and wife skis.

I can see us all out West for a family vacation in the years to come.

3 1/2 years old at Smugglers Notch. It has the best kids program out there. He had a blast on his first trip out west last winter (at age 7). Hoping to get out there again this year but my wife tore her ACL on that same trip. She gets fitted for her knee brace tomorrow, so we'll see.

don

IMO we don't get enough snow

Yup. I'm of the thought that if it's going to snow then effin' dump a ton. Otherwise, I keep my fingers crossed for no snow and slightly above freezing temps. I hate when you get just a few inches - enough to make a real mess of things.

don

I plan on riding through the winter.

Skiing question for those w/kids ?

What age did you start them and which resort? Need the whole rental package. My kids are 7,5,2 and wife skis.

I can see us all out West for a family vacation in the years to come.

I started the 2 oldest at around 3. The thing to remember is don't push them and maybe get them in a few classes - the coaches/teaches know exactly which games to do and the kids will be less likely to give them grief. We did a trip out to Telluride last year. My son and daughter were 8 and 6 and were in ski school in the AM and then skiied w/ my wife and me in the afternoon after lunch. It worked out great. The 2 year stayed at home w/ the baby sitter. When we do another trip, I think waiting until the youngest is at least 5 would be the best bet. Plus it's a lot easier when they are older on the plane ride.

I've never been but have heard good thing about family setup at Smugg's. Plus there are supposed to be good things for the adults too. It's a haul to drive but you will get less people and better snow typically.

We go to Stowe most of the time and their setup w/ Spruce is very good. It's well laid out for the younger kids w/ the lifts going from short to all the way to the top. It also gets the afternoon sun so the little ones will typically be warmer than over on Mansfield. Skiiing and riding w/ the kids is a blast once the get the basics down.

don

i work lifts at mountian creek
you can't beat runs before we open
the hole hill to myself:D:

Is Creek looking to do the jump park like they did on the south mtn this year? I went once last season and although it was icy as hell I was pretty impressed by the jumps and rail layout.

Eileen

Is Creek looking to do the jump park like they did on the south mtn this year? I went once last season and although it was icy as hell I was pretty impressed by the jumps and rail layout.

Yeah, south and bear are all park again. This year they're gonna open the trail the connects both sides, instead of having to take the shuttle.

Awdrifter13

my friend mr madness... the rig is away now... working too late and no sun and the wedding stuff... let me know about sliding, and maybe we do a premier muted at mccs on a friday

Last edited:

MTB Aussie

Madness: Don't hang it up too high, ride when the weather feels right. That could be below freezing with rock hard ground, or a snow day when you cant make the mountains with the plank.

TonyC: I started my oldest on skis at 4. She mostly sat around eating snow and looking at the scenery. By 7 she was hammering everything at Okemo (though still using the plow to stop). She switched to boarding at 11. I skipped the twin planks with my youngest and went right to the board. Now I have two groms to accompany me.

Everyone: It's never too early to promote my "New Years Day hangover cure ride at Hartshorne". This will be the fourth year for this event. Mark your calendars. Only a cat 5 nor'easter stops the ride. (or a cat 5 bender the night before - haven't missed one yet)

antgold

this is where i hang it....:D

all year round baby!!!

I got tired of driving up and waiting in line for ice instead of snow...plus then I got kids & made it way more complicated.

Liked the approach !
this photo is inspiring-Can't wait for snow riding !!

Ian F

FWIW, the attributes that make Plattekill a fun mtn for DH also make it a pretty good mtn for skiing - providing they get a good dumping of natural snow that makes off-piste runs possible. They have a very liberal policy compared to most other mtns - "don't ask, don't tell". Or as one of the ski-patrol guys told us once, "well... I'm not going to chase you..." Is it Mad River Glen? No... but it's a lot closer...

Unfortunately, when Plattekill conditions are bad, it's REALLY bad... as they can't groom worth a crap... death-cookies everywhere... but skiing there did make me a better telemarker...

T

tupacamaru

...this will be my 1st winter riding. Im a noob so I Just instaled some SPDs on my stumpy. I was contemplating on weather to learn learn how to ride with them now or wait till the weather gets warm. I was using cages but after a wipe out at ringwood, I decided to throw the cages out the window. So now im waiting to get my shoes and Ill most definitley ride thru the winter. The ground seems real hard now though...What do u guys think?:hmmm:

MTB Aussie

...this will be my 1st winter riding. Im a noob so I Just instaled some SPDs on my stumpy. I was contemplating on weather to learn learn how to ride with them now or wait till the weather gets warm. I was using cages but after a wipe out at ringwood, I decided to throw the cages out the window. So now im waiting to get my shoes and Ill most definitley ride thru the winter. The ground seems real hard now though...What do u guys think?:hmmm:
Hard ground is good! means you are not ripping up slushy trails, and you don't have to clean the bike so much. Ride on!

Top Bottom