• Jimmie Johnson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kyle Busch

• Tony Stewart

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The winner will be MARK MARTIN. He almost won the damn thing in a start-up Ginn car two years ago (awesome photo-finish with Harvick by the way) and has been very strong in practice, qualified second and hung out front in the twin-150. His car has looked very smooth all week. Kyle Busch has been fast and won his twin-150 with bump-draft help - but the Hendrick boys will be up front, as usual, to give Martin a push. (For those of you that still doubt NASCAR, it is story lines like this that makes the sport - correction: lifestyle - so addictive).

I take my older son to Dover once a year. My 3 year old is begging to go with us this year. Now if only I can figure out a way to prove to him that Tony Stewart is no longer in the #20...

By the way, Dover has $50 seats in an alcohol/tobacco free family section off of turn two (less cussing also). Every seat is a great seat in that section - except that you can't see the pit road action from there.

The winner will be MARK MARTIN.

You know, you might be right about that one. I was surprised he was brought back to run the full slate of races this year after being semi-retired last year. I will put him on my fantasy league active list for Daytona.

And his Hendrick teammates might help him if it looks like he is the only hope for a Hendrick win. Junior and Johnson can play fair when they think it will help them. Gordon might be the problem as far as help goes. He's a selfish driver and a cry-baby.

I was surprised that Truex Jr. took took the pole. I watched his qualifying run and was impressed. This may be the year he comes into his own.

Wow... is it that time already... I haven't had cable for the last 2 months, so I haven't followed racing at all...

If it's a nice day, I'll be riding... if not, I'll probably be in the garage working on my Spitfire...

I picked "somebody else" since the plate races can be so unpredictable... too easy for a driver to dominate most of the race, and then get shuffled back right towards the end through little fault of his own... That and I've never really had a favorite driver... although as I'm sitting here staring an old Mark Martin Pfizer die-cast (bought at the Pfizer company store back in 2002), it would be cool to see him win.

Gordon, like Jr. is good at plate tracks. For Gordo to be back he either needs to figure out how to run the 1.5 mile tracks on old tires or get Ray back.
+1 on get Ray back......

The winner will be MARK MARTIN. He almost won the damn thing in a start-up Ginn car two years ago (awesome photo-finish with Harvick by the way) and has been very strong in practice, qualified second and hung out front in the twin-150. His car has looked very smooth all week. Kyle Busch has been fast and won his twin-150 with bump-draft help - but the Hendrick boys will be up front, as usual, to give Martin a push. (For those of you that still doubt NASCAR, it is story lines like this that makes the sport - correction: lifestyle - so addictive).

That would be one of the most awesome moments in Nascar if that happens.
Although I highly doubt the other Hendrick boys would help him.

Martin is another ambassador for the sport. There are certain drivers that, if my boy Gordo can't win, I am glad to see do it. Martin is one of them. Truthfully, I'd rather see Martin take the whole thing this year than anybody else. He deserves it, works so damn hard at it, and beats himself up so badly- he needs the feather in the cap of a great career. Hendrick boyz will be friends until the last lap :getsome:

MT. ESQ awesome point about the story lines. Week in & week out there are so many capable teams/drivers, then throw in the different style/length tracks where some are stronger than others, etc., all the other off track drama & the wildcard of anything can happen at any time during the race. Not to bother about that little driving inches apart on the edge at near 200Mph business.....its awesome!

I did a ride along followed by an 8 lap cup car drive session at Pocono last summer & have some other racing type experience. I was amazed at how much the car moves around from little bumps, hitting sealer on the track, etc. Was a blast, and anyone who is a fan should do at least a ride along if not a drive session. WHOLE new appreciation for how close together they run & the amount of concentration required. Non-fans & those who don't think it is a sport should do a ride along. It will change your mind.

Great to see some other fans on here!!!

2001 Pepsi 400 at Daytona

How could you not love this sport???

YOU MUST WATCH THIS ENTIRE VIDEO to understand my addiction. To put it in perspective, the July Daytona race was the first since the death of Dale Sr. at the Daytona 500 and Jr. was well behind the leaders with 3 laps to go. Dale Sr's crew and about half the garage came out to the grass to celebrate the win with Jr. How cool is that! Listen to the crowd and imagine what it would have been like to have been at this race. Jr. gained another million fans that day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCHX6_d1xbM&feature=PlayList&p=801E7F10D34631C2&playnext=1&index=23

right on.....here's the one I was talking about with Edwards. Starts getting interesting about a minute in. Background on this one is the chase for the championship is was winding down & was close between Edwards & Johnson. Edwards needed to outscore Johnson in points, based on finishing position. Watch how he scrapes the wall once, then goes all the way to the flat trying to get some momentum, then tries the slingshot. Meanwhile Johnson is ready for the slingshot & has the cross-over move all planned out.....In the post race Johnson said he knew Edwards was going to try to dive low so Johnson got out of it early to sucker Edwards into the move, all the while planning to sacrifice the entrance to the turn to set up a faster exit & crossover & take it back. Chess at 190 Mph baby....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paSpVmltvx4

OK I need to stop for the day.....:D

My favorite part about that move was that Edwards knew he was going to hit the wall at 190mph but just had to try it after seeing it work on a video game!

so, maybe i mussed it, but does this forum run a fantasy nascar league? im in one from another forum that im on, but havnt seen one for here, if you guys have one whats the group/code so i can join? if not, how many would join if i started one?

so, maybe i mussed it, but does this forum run a fantasy nascar league? im in one from another forum that im on, but havnt seen one for here, if you guys have one whats the group/code so i can join? if not, how many would join if i started one?

Started! if you want to join, PM me your email. You have until Sunday at 3:00 to register and pick drivers.

So.....how does everyone feel about:
1) The race being shortened
2) The Big one?
3) Matt Kenseth winning?

My favorite part about that move was that Edwards knew he was going to hit the wall at 190mph but just had to try it after seeing it work on a video game!

...and also when you realize how good these guys are when the thought of tapping the wall at 190mph doesn't make them crap their nomex...

As expected, I didn't see a lap of the race... but nice to see Allmendinger finish well after getting booted by Red Bull...

1) rain shortened races happen... usually at least once a year...
2) Did we think there wouln't be one? That Jr caused it doesn't surprise me... but not that I would have been surprised by anyone causing it... he was pushing the limits... that's what he's paid to do... if it had worked, we'd be praising him as a great driver... sometimes, it doesn't work. That's racing.
3) someone had to win... as it's been said before; it was suspected the race might be shortened, so get to the lead and try to stay there... Matt put himself in the right place at the right time.

Last edited:
So.....how does everyone feel about:
1) The race being shortened

BUNK....they could have easily gotten the rest in...

2) The Big one?

Jr. could have been a bit more patient, but if Vickers was gonna pull down to block like that he should have known he was gonna get clobbered & had enuf talent ready to hang onto it. Since Vickers is talentless, he shouldn't have made the block -- 50/50

3) Matt Kenseth winning?

Indifferent.....

Back
Top Bottom