Who wants to build a Bike Park?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
After going to Kingdom Trails in VT for the last several years I'm always amazed at the cool new trails that show up every year. Wouldn't it be great if we had something like this to ride in NJ??!!!

Let's build some awesome stuff here in NJ, all's we need is the land and some money. Does anyone have 3 acres laying around with some decent elevation that wouldn't mind purposing for a bike park?

If we had the land, we could all kick for materials to build it. I realize this is a long shot but you never know. Collectively we could make great things happen given the opportunity.

Let's build this.
Screenshot_20200929-100833.jpg

Ashcor

Best bet would be Jungle habitat. The crew up there just secured permission to open up new trails (I've heard) and it's already an established bike park. West Milford seems to be bike friendly (they have a public pump track) and there's good access for heavier equipment all throughout Jungle due to it's past. They do great work up there as it is, no
telling what could be accomplished with proper funding..

JPark

The reason Vermont can build awesome trails on private land is that they passed laws freeing the landowners of liability.
The only way a landowner can be sued is if they intentionally sabotage a trail or charge money to ride.
In NJ if you are kind enough to offer up your land for trails and a new covid-inspired rider crashes without a helmet, you are liable.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Best bet would be Jungle habitat. The crew up there just secured permission to open up new trails (I've heard) and it's already an established bike park. West Milford seems to be bike friendly (they have a public pump track) and there's good access for heavier equipment all throughout Jungle due to it's past. They do great work up there as it is, no
telling what could be accomplished with proper funding..
Agreed but you’d need to haul in dirt because Jungle is basically 99.999% rocks. Let’s pool our money and buy land. I’ve got $50 to start. We only need about $1,999,950 more.

Ashcor

Agreed but you’d need to haul in dirt because Jungle is basically 99.999% rocks. Let’s pool our money and buy land. I’ve got $50 to start. We only need about $1,999,950 more.
but that's my point about jungle, it's uniquely suited for getting dumptruck loads of dirt to most places in the park as there are old roads from when it was Warner Bros running throughout. And if not full dump trucks at least UTV's and bobcats

And to @JPark 's point, it's already and established bike park.

only other thing I can think of is some of the old small ski areas that the state used to have like Snow bowl and Craigmuer.

Reactions: don

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The reason Vermont can build awesome trails on private land is that they passed laws freeing the landowners of liability.
The only way a landowner can be sued is if they intentionally sabotage a trail or charge money to ride.
In NJ if you are kind enough to offer up your land for trails and a new covid-inspired rider crashes without a helmet, you are liable.

This is actually not exactly true - as I understand it. I have had conversations with people who know these things (as in, it's more than staying at a Holiday Inn Express last night), and the reality is that the fundamental laws are really not much different. The key difference is that in NJ, you need to secure a lawyer and drop $200k to get the suit thrown out of court, whereas in Vermont these frivolous lawsuits apparently get tossed out before they gain any steam. The landowner doesn't need to pay anything.

A minor difference, but this is what I was told is the real difference between the states.

But I would love not to turn this thread into another opportunity for people to shit on someone trying to do something.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
this looks like the miller lane section of CR !

What is the goal? access to more flow/longer trails, or something with a few more "features" ?

Always up for more trail Iggy.

Ashcor

If we go with the "jungle" idea I'd say it's more engineered flow trails. Jungle has plenty of gnar and natural features but it's not really "beginner friendly"

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How about improving on the current trails though more presence at TM?
More tm is always good

What I'm looking for is flow trails with bike park inspiration. Jungle sounds like it has potential, hopefully it will take off.

We have great trails in Ringwood, Wawayanda and Allamuchy. What I'm looking for is something different to mix it up. Engineered, well laid out lines which can be sessioned. Kinda like a min play ground for bikes.

serviceguy

Please see above post about shitting on thread.
How does my comment qualify as such? More parks is always better but there's a ton of stuff that could use some attention. I wasn't being critical, just suggesting a way to address the issue.

goldsbar

Isn't this what they basically did at High Bridge?

The best thing about that map is the one way signs. That would be really nice.

Reactions: don
Top Bottom