Who rides platform pedals for XC?

J-Dro

Anybody out there using flats for every day trail use? I'm just getting over knee surgery and I'm considering trying out platform pedals to avoid any additional stress on the knee from unclipping.

I'm curious about the learning curve with the platforms. How easy is it to 'relearn' how to bunny hop or get over obstacles without having your feet fly all over. How much will I miss my clipless pedals on extended climbs? Will shin protection be pretty much mandatory for every ride? I've already researched the shoes, and I am willing to splurge for a pair of 5-10's. I'm mainly an XC and light FR rider, not much of a DH type.

Anyone else make the switch?

pinkshirtphotos

i have always run platform, i feel i get better control over my riding. i just cant ride being clipped in, have tried many times too. I used to run specialized lo pro mag with long ass pins on them for xc, now im running syncros pedals. they have hella grip. i prefer the lower profile for xc riding because they hit less rocks

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
i used to ride animal bmx flat then cannondale grinds...which were good i put them on the chicks bike cause she dont wanna go clipless...but them and a pair of 5 10's do the job

don

Anybody out there using flats for every day trail use? I'm just getting over knee surgery and I'm considering trying out platform pedals to avoid any additional stress on the knee from unclipping.

I'm curious about the learning curve with the platforms. How easy is it to 'relearn' how to bunny hop or get over obstacles without having your feet fly all over. How much will I miss my clipless pedals on extended climbs? Will shin protection be pretty much mandatory for every ride? I've already researched the shoes, and I am willing to splurge for a pair of 5-10's. I'm mainly an XC and light FR rider, not much of a DH type.

I use Wellgo Mag's on my Sinister sussy bike. Reason being, if I see a log ride, drop or jump mid-ride that I want to hit, I much rather do it with flats than clips. I keep clips on the SS Rhygin as I'm not hitting anything even semi-burly with that thing. The climbs are a bit tougher but I like to descend without being clipped in - I feel safer, more in-control.

Depending on how you learned to bunnyhop, the learning curve might not be bad. I will tell you that, if you can bunnyhop with flats you are doing it the right way. When you first get the flats - practice bunnyhops over 2x4's in your driveway. Better to learn in a controled/safe environment. I wanted to re-learn bunnyhop 180's the right way and did the same thing w/ the 2x4's.

Extended climbs will be tougher but it depends on the steepness of the trail. The more mellow the pitch the less the flats will hurt you.

Shin protection isn't a bad idea. I don't use them much but I've also slipped a pedal more than a few times with very bloody shins. Although that happened when I was trying stuff on my little bike on the ramp. On the trail I hardly ever have an issue with a slipped pedal to shin.

Good spiky pedals are key. The Wellgo's I have, have incredible bite and are LAF. Sun Ringle ZuZu's are very good too. Check Dan's Comp for a big selection or if you are near Lakewood, stop by Staff.

I hear a lot of dudes online that like the 5-10's, so they must be doing something right, but I couldn't buy a pair myself based on the looks of the sole design. My current favs are Orchid. I also like some of the Etnies sole design - the old Vallaleys and Joe Rich models were sweet. Both brands are made for BMX riders so they have good ankle support and padding.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

You may put the same kind of bad stress on your knees by not being able to pedal in circles, maybe try a pedal with more float like an EggBeater:hmmm:

-Jim.

Stocky

pinkshirtphotos

i love the old nike whistler air shoes! nike left trek and had a closeout on the shoes they sold for something like $30. I ordered a pair from town cycle, they ordered. when this season rolled around i went back and got the second pair. love em!

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I am willing to splurge for a pair of 5-10's.

You will wear them to work, in the shower, playing tennis, sleeping, tightrope walking, swimming, ect...... They are amazing. As for platforms, it is an easy transition.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
don't you ride time pedals? Since they have a ton of float, you should be ok, but I could see using flats incase you needed to upclip in a hurry...

Engignar

I made the switch from platforms to clips a month or so ago..but before that it was platforms for everything. It is important with platforms to make sure you have your feet positioned right on the pedals so they don't get knocked off - ie when bombing down a hill I liked to have my toes and the ball of my foot on the pedal, so that when I would move my body over the back of the bike I still felt like I could push my feet onto the pedals to prevent slipping. I'm sure you will get used to it fairly quickly.

J-Dro

don't you ride time pedals? Since they have a ton of float, you should be ok, but I could see using flats incase you needed to upclip in a hurry...

Yes, I have just about every version of Time pedals including their Z version with the pseudo platform. I can't speak highly enough about them, and as you say, the float is plenty. The issue for me is instant release. My knee injury was a result of not being able to unclip in time so now I'm just super paranoid. And no I wasn't doing any stunts, log rides etc. at the time.

I guess the only way to find out if flats are for me is to try it for a few months. I know the learning curve will take more then just a few rides.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Welcome back to the sensible side my freind! Most of the injuries around here of late would have been avoided if not for those stupid clips. I clipped up my Tarmac becausei was just destroying shoes and my knees kill me now. Get some nice Wellgo mid level$$ flats and look for some 661,Answer spd compatible shoes and rock out. The spd shoes are stiffer so they wont just bend in half like Vans, although standard Vans will not leave the pedal EVER, but will lose u horsepower in the climbs.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I guess the only way to find out if flats are for me is to try it for a few months. I know the learning curve will take more then just a few rides.

I rode flats for years on the bmx and trials bike and it won't take you that long to get used to em. I was riding trials last summer alot on flats and it only took a few rides to get used to not having the clips. If you are just building yourself back up, the flats will do you well as you can change your foot position if something starts to ache.

Good luck!

A

Adrenaline Addict

i use primo's "Stricker" bmx pedals in conjunction with salomon hiking shoes...

its a love/hate relationship... no clips so i won't climb as easy, but at the same time
• I have a more comfy impact on jumps
• Tons of grip and fast reponse to kicking the ground, rocks, trees to save my ass on a fall/manipulate skids/switchbacks/mud slides etc
• no rocks or fall has yet hurt my feet and ankles.
• if you are off trail somewhere and need to scale up a rough piece of mountain....the hiking shoes really come in handy...can't really do that in mtb shoes

I would say if you are gonna do singletrack only or are on a really smooth trail and need to climb faster and keep a consistent pace, go with the clips and shoes. If you like downhill and XC, go with platforms.

clip riders: ever wack yer ankle on big ol rock....or get smaller rocks kicking up at your toe? pain!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i have flats on my jump bike, clips on my niner.

i like the flats. another thing i haven't yet seen mentioned that is nice about flats is just being able to grab the bike and go. sometimes i dont mind just walking out of the house with a bike to go for a ride, versus having to get my shoes all together first. not a big deal, but its something i noticed.

as for hopping, i figured out how to bunny hop correctly again pretty fast - faster than i thought i would. its funny how you remember how to do stuff when you were a kid. my next thing is figuring out how to manual - i personally wouldn't ever try that with clips.

sometimes i think about going with flats totally on my niner, but for now i am going to keep the clips. i think i dont use clips to my full advantage for speed - i dont know if i am applying torque the whole way around on my pedal stroke. when i had my SS i would definitely find myself pulling up a lot during my pedal stroke when climbing, but for 90% of my riding (sitting and spinning) i think i just use the downstroke any way. i think clips help me most with keeping my feet on my pedals on really rocky downhills.

for a couple years, i used to ride flats exclusively when i had a full suspension bike. if i were to get another longer travel full suspension bike that isn't too fast on the climbs anyway, i'd probably go with flats again.

M

MtnGoat

Platforms all the way for me. I do alotta urban riding and when yer about to be hit by a cab it helps to be able to bail asap. I also change my foot position slightly for climbing and sprinting.

T

Timekiller

I have always rocked flats. I had a set of crank bros. mallet C. I just couldn't get used to them, they were awesome on the road, but I did not like the locked in feeling.

Very good sealed bearing pedals, cheap too...

Mosh Step

I have them on both bikes. Very durable.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Speedplay Frogs

Stay clipped in and have all the control you need...get a set of Speedpaly Frogs. These have unrestricted float (dont have to fight a spring to get out)! Also they are simple, not much to break and are light. Cant go wrong!

Top Bottom