Who likes to smoke their meat?

qclabrat

I do my brines light so able to keep in for 2 days. Quick rinse and the pieces are nice and firm. Will dry in the basement for a day before ready for Apple and Peach wood smoke.
IMG_20180901_111718.jpgIMG_20180901_163102.jpg

qclabrat

4 hours of apple, didn't feel like splitting some cherry or peach wood I had. I need a better smoker which can start slow at 120F for the first hour. Still had some white stuff ooze out, albumin. Used pans of water to lower the temp but 120 is always a challenge. Keeping two pieces and freezing the rest for family in the mother land.
IMG_20180902_212715.jpg

ekuhn

Ribs and a pork tenderloin, ‘cause someone doesn’t like ribs.

Tried to keep at 275 on my Weber kettle. Used the basket for the charcoal and hickory, but 275 was the high end of the range. Tenderloin was great, smoke ring is there, just light. 2.5 hour cook with a seat before the last hour. Ribs were excellent. Used the Texas crutch for a 4.5 hour cook time.

B7021DD1-2C01-4A80-80C3-B0C3E522B96B.jpeg

C2523BBD-4000-4FB0-85FF-6BA69428A5EB.jpeg

92381712-FD3D-4158-B071-8E10F6CA5982.jpeg

D0E2C113-3490-4325-A47E-B33FDCB40BF1.jpeg

qclabrat

Ribs and a pork tenderloin, ‘cause someone doesn’t like ribs.

Tried to keep at 275 on my Weber kettle. Used the basket for the charcoal and hickory, but 275 was the high end of the range. Tenderloin was great, smoke ring is there, just light. 2.5 hour cook with a seat before the last hour. Ribs were excellent. Used the Texas crutch for a 4.5 hour cook time.

View attachment 85468

View attachment 85470

View attachment 85469

View attachment 85471
Both look great, I've never thought to do pork tenderloins
Jeff says to smoke it at 225F for 2 hrs with meat temp at 145F
The crutch is also my goto method, but I smoke it with the 3-2-1 at 225F

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Anyone smoking anything for tomorrow's game? Gonna be in the 40's, so perfect Spring weather for grilling. I have some wings going into a Bolero Snort brine. Hopefully the beer doesn't kill them. Only using it because I didn't like drinking it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
haven't had any requests yet, but it is still early - was thinking about stuffing some sausage tho.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I may give ribs a shot for my rookie smoke.
Jmanic threw me a rub and how too though his was for kettle and I am cheating with an electric.

Patrick

Staff member
Ok. @ekuhn got me motivated to try smoking on the kettle. Added a temp guage, put in the baskets. Trying to dial in the dampers now. Added a layer of Al foil. Only problem is the ribs will sit in any rendered fat.

Will report back. A 12" riser to add a water bath would make this a win.
F1BEA73F-7A72-472D-879C-1730FE8C94C5.jpeg
image.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok. @ekuhn got me motivated to try smoking on the kettle. Added a temp guage, put in the baskets. Trying to dial in the dampers now. Added a layer of Al foil. Only problem is the ribs will sit in any rendered fat.

View attachment 96210
View attachment 96211
Good once you perfect come to my place and set me up

qclabrat

View attachment 96210
View attachment 96211
Water is a must for kettles to keep it in the range. What type of charcoal you using and which stacking method? Went to NYC today, but have 3 racks planned for next week.

Patrick

Staff member
Water is a must for kettles to keep it in the range. What type of charcoal you using and which stacking method? Went to NYC today, but have 3 racks planned for next week.

kettle comes with charcoal basket to create indirect heat. i use king briquettes -
went with mesquite too, usually dont do that to ribs. pics to follow - i think it worked.

Patrick

Staff member
OK - so the heat stayed under 250 for a long time - like 5 hours without too much charcoal - added a few bricks and went 7.
the small internal space, and relatively air tight kettle probably made a difference there. also, i had
two charcoal baskets - one died out, so if two were going it may have overheated (or maybe there
is only so much O2, so maybe not)

anyway - the ribs that were nearest the heat came out great - fall off the bone, melt in your mouth.
the ones on the far side were moist, but not nearly as tender. decent smoke ring and flavor.
purchased rib rub was lacking any punch.

looking for a riser now - i see a 10" insert with a rotisserie.

hot side was on the right - see the difference!

IMG_3514.JPGIMG_3513.JPG

Last edited:

ekuhn

@Patrick is that the Weber Performer serial #00001?

You need a rib rack, that will def help to get air flow.

I put a small water pan in the center, then put the baskets in or use the snake method around. I think I normally run 2/3s open on the bottom and 1/2 to 3/4 up top.

Ribs looks real good. I had hopes of smoking something this weekend, but it never happened. I’ve been wanting to spatchcock a chicken to try it out.

Top Bottom