Who likes to smoke their meat?

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.

Since my blood pressue is 100/60, it's a good thing I eat a lot of meat. Otherwise it might be 80/40 ??

There is a difference between fresh pepper and store bought ground pepper. Store bought ground pepper is a lot less harsh than fresh ground pepper. I use store bought and 50/50 by volume and I find my briskets are fine.

I cook pastrami following this recipe on the virtual weber bullett. The trick is to soak the corn beef a lot to get rid of the salt. It turned out delicious. We eat this instead of corned beef.

qclabrat

Didn't know this till today
1525358214072.png
But putting down some meat, doing some yard/garden work in May sounds good. Looking to do less bulk long smoking this year and instead play with simpler, faster options to squeeze more time out of a day. Considered a new smoker this year, but I've got enough projects this summer, and money is tighter than usual this year. So smoking with what I gots. Going to try more fish and chicken this year, as I'm trying to dial down red meat this year as well. Other than salmon, what do you like to smoke? Will get some trout this weekend, but looking for something more interesting.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
trout comes out great, but tend to make a spread out of it.
some cheeses do well - ultra low temp tho.

beer can chicken?
turkey breast
turkey burgers

pygmypony

View attachment 68215
But putting down some meat, doing some yard/garden work in May sounds good. Looking to do less bulk long smoking this year and instead play with simpler, faster options to squeeze more time out of a day. Considered a new smoker this year, but I've got enough projects this summer, and money is tighter than usual this year. So smoking with what I gots. Going to try more fish and chicken this year, as I'm trying to dial down red meat this year as well. Other than salmon, what do you like to smoke? Will get some trout this weekend, but looking for something more interesting.
while it's not smoking per se, it is still grilling, we've been hooked recently (see that pun there?!) on alaskan cod, fish tacos. the cod grills up super quick, it's pretty cheap (around $2-$3/lb) and it can be thrown on a tortilla with just about anything you like.

IMG_4970.jpg

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
View attachment 68215
Roadside chicken from the virtual weber builitan board. I make the recipe with about 1/2 the salt. It really is good, but it messes up the grill pretty good. https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken

Patrick

Staff member
Happy Mother's Day

Even better when the food request involves the smoker.

Mixed it up this time - usually go with the home made rub, which has no sugar in it, but i was in a farm
market and came across 'the jersey devil' and could not resist the brilliant, and original naming. (see sarcasm posts)
anyway - used our rub on one rack of pork ribs, and the jersey devil on the other. Also rubbed the butt with the devil.
Trying for a sweeter pulled pork.

Something else new on the smoker is beef back ribs. I haven't tried beef ribs on the smoker, and have plenty of experience
with short ribs ala julia - these are a different beast. straight up kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper rubbed in.
i just realized i put the beef rack where the pork rack can drip onto it. probably should go re-arrange.

will report back at 4pm-ish.

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

Patrick

Staff member
ribs came out tender and moist - could have pulled the beef racks off earlier.
not as much flavor as the usual batch - not sure what happened. maybe a little too conservative on the rub.
butt stalled on me, and is in the oven for lunch sammiches this week!!!

Patrick

Staff member
Couple of butts tonight. Into the slow cooker to be pulled in the morning.

D0B85EEB-9D9F-43BC-A0FD-C449A417B1C1.jpeg

Last edited:

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Splitting salmon is not fresh salmon.

I like the fattier farmed salmon for baking and BBQ, but I'm sure the leaner, wild stuff would be better for smoking.

qclabrat

Splitting salmon is not fresh salmon.

I like the fattier farmed salmon for baking and BBQ, but I'm sure the leaner, wild stuff would be better for smoking.
But it doesn't taste like salmon. More like the fish meal they are fed when farmed. People have forgotten what salmon should be like

rick81721

Lothar
But it doesn't taste like salmon. More like the fish meal they are fed when farmed. People have forgotten what salmon should be like

This is true. I've never been a big fan of salmon but on an Alaska fishing trip one year for king salmon and halibut we had fresh king salmon for dinner one night and wow was that good.

Top Bottom