Smoked Pork Loin using pecan and a KC rub - around 3lb hunk
Waited a bit too long to take it off, and the temp ran up about 10f high -
so could have been more medium than medium+ - still nice and juicy, good
smoke flavor.

1591574989755.png

JonF

Pulled pork tonight!
View attachment 133502
The pork butts I picked up from Costco already had the shoulder bones removed. It makes the butt split a little during the cook but it also provides more surface area for rub.
Nice work. A suggestion if your curious about maximum juicyness of your pulled pork... I smoke my butts in a foil pan to capture all the jus along with a silicone roasting rack underneath the butt to get it up out of the liquid. A few rolled up pieces of alum foil into logs can also suffice. At the end, i pour off the jus into a fat separator and then once i shredded the entire butt, add the liquid back in to add moisture back in. This really helps keep the pork from getting chalky as it tends to do while sitting out and if you save some overnight or in the freezer. Having the butt in the pan also makes it easy to throw a sheet of foil over top to tent it and speed past the stall if you are one to wrap. You also retain even more moisture from the stall this way. Just a friendly tip!

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Nice work. A suggestion if your curious about maximum juicyness of your pulled pork... I smoke my butts in a foil pan to capture all the jus along with a silicone roasting rack underneath the butt to get it up out of the liquid. A few rolled up pieces of alum foil into logs can also suffice. At the end, i pour off the jus into a fat separator and then once i shredded the entire butt, add the liquid back in to add moisture back in. This really helps keep the pork from getting chalky as it tends to do while sitting out and if you save some overnight or in the freezer. Having the butt in the pan also makes it easy to throw a sheet of foil over top to tent it and speed past the stall if you are one to wrap. You also retain even more moisture from the stall this way. Just a friendly tip!
This is what I do. Helps with wrapping and retaining the juices.

Top Bottom