Who likes to smoke their meat?

walter

Fourth Party
OK, so I got the WSM on Monday, all put together and ready to go, any tips before I start? I plan on doing a dry run on saturday just to get a feel for how it burns then do some cooking on sunday. Season, yes or no? Any thing else helpful?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
read through this -
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

i like the minion method for cooking -

oh, check the mods section. they don't have any carbon fiber upgrades, but there are plenty of things to do! handles added to the mid-section help tremendously - a more accurate thermometer (less range, more precision)

Enjoy.

ps -
i like that extra drip pan down in wobbegong's pic

trivan

OK, so I got the WSM on Monday, all put together and ready to go, any tips before I start? I plan on doing a dry run on saturday just to get a feel for how it burns then do some cooking on sunday. Season, yes or no? Any thing else helpful?

I'm a big fan of dizzy pig rub. The spicy pineapple rub is amazing. I use the original rub the most but the others are very good. Just go low and slow. What are you cooking? A pork butt can take up to 12-14 hours at 250. Ribs 4-5 hours.

Wobbegong

Minion method!!! Works perfectly and is sooooo easy. 20 lit coals in the center works perfectly. I ran for 15 hours without a refill.

Get that thermometer too... A two stage remote thermometer is a big advantage. One in the smoker, one in the meat.
http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et73.htm
IMG-20130527-01058_zps59ba74ce.jpg

Chicken (You'll thank me for this if you do it!!):
Take one gallon of cold water, mix with one cup kosher salt and one cup packed brown sugar. Soak a whole chicken in the solution overnight in the fridge. I use a large spaghetti pot.

Next day, take the bird out, drain and pat dry. Rub with a spice rub. My favorite by far is this. http://www.buttrub.com I used to make my own rub until I found this.

I stand the chicken up on a beer can chicken stand, without the can. This allows the smoke to enter the bird nicely. Smoke at 225 (wood of your choice, I love a 1 part mesquite/ 2 part hickory combo) until internal temp hits 170. Rest 20 minutes covered with a foil tent, then cut.

Last edited:

Wobbegong

JP, are you using lump charcoal or briquettes?

Regular Kingsford briquettes lit with newspaper in a charcoal chimney. Unsoaked wood chunks.

Kingsford is consistent.

I create a ring of unlit briquettes in the smoker with the chunks burried within. As much as the coal ring can hold flush to the top, with a two fist size hole in the center. I put the 20 lit coals into the center of this "doughnut" of unlit coals. I found this to burn more consistantly that dumping the lit coals over the top of a flat bed of unlit briquettes.

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Regular Kingsford briquettes lit with newspaper in a charcoal chimney. Unsoaked wood chunks.

Kingsford is consistent.

I create a ring of unlit briquettes in the smoker with the chunks burried within. As much as the coal ring can hold flush to the top, with a two fist size hole in the center. I put the 20 lit coals into the center of this "doughnut" of unlit coals. I found this to burn more consistantly that dumping the lit coals over the top of a flat bed of unlit briquettes.

Interesting take on the minion. Will have to try this.

On the dual thermometer, how did you attach the probe for the chamber temp?

Just picked up a new Weber 18.5 off CL yesterday.
Can't wait to fire it up.

Will be posting the Smoke-n-Pit there shortly.
If anyone is looking for an inexpensive smoker to get started,
it is perfect for doing large batches of ribs/chicken.
I don't think it's efficient enough for smokes beyond 5-7 hours though.

Wobbegong

On the dual thermometer, how did you attach the probe for the chamber temp?

The thermometer I use comes with a metal clip that attaches to the cooking grate and holds the probe. Works great. You can see it in the photo in post 10 of this thread.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The thermometer I use comes with a metal clip that attaches to the cooking grate and holds the probe. Works great. You can see it in the photo in post 10 of this thread.

Cool- next up on the upgrades...

walter

Fourth Party
OK, so today is training day for me to get a feel how the Weber burns. So far so good. I forget what time I actually lit the coals, but I started out with all four vents WFO, took about an hour or so to get to 200 degrees, then I shut 2 of the bottom vents completely. Been holding in the 250 range for about 3 hours now. Going to let it go for a few more hours and see what happens then shut it down and get ready for my first cook tomorrow.

Wobbegong

OK, so today is training day for me to get a feel how the Weber burns. So far so good. I forget what time I actually lit the coals, but I started out with all four vents WFO, took about an hour or so to get to 200 degrees, then I shut 2 of the bottom vents completely. Been holding in the 250 range for about 3 hours now. Going to let it go for a few more hours and see what happens then shut it down and get ready for my first cook tomorrow.

How'd you make out??

Once its up to temp, I've found that leaving all 3 bottom vents open around 25 percent and the top wide open gets it to hold temp really well.

Did you start with hot water? That helps get it to temp quicker too.

walter

Fourth Party
It was a fail of sorts. The cook went fine, 2 racks of baby backs at 250 for 4 hours. What we screwed up on was the rub. My wife made it and put it on, but as it turned out she only made enough for 1/2 of what we were making, so it was a real thin coating, and when the ribs were done they just lacked any good flavor. They weren't bad, they were moist and pulled right off the bone, they just didn't have that good bark to them. Next time we go heavier on the rub for sure.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sounds like you have the hard part down- keeping temp,
the dry rub should be easy enough next time.

From the VWB site, here's my go to for rib rub:
Magic Dust
2 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon kosher salt, finely ground
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1-1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

I double this for 4 racks, and slather the ribs with yellow mustard before the rub.
Then a baste of Sweet Baby Ray's doctored with a bit of honey for the last 30 minutes in the cooker. Gives a nice crust and no shortage on flavor.
Usually 1/3 Hickory to 2/3 apple for the wood, but I've got some cherry and pecan to play with now.

Wobbegong

It was a fail of sorts. The cook went fine, 2 racks of baby backs at 250 for 4 hours. What we screwed up on was the rub. My wife made it and put it on, but as it turned out she only made enough for 1/2 of what we were making, so it was a real thin coating, and when the ribs were done they just lacked any good flavor. They weren't bad, they were moist and pulled right off the bone, they just didn't have that good bark to them. Next time we go heavier on the rub for sure.

Moist and pulling off the bone isnt a fail!! :) That's a good 1st run in my book!! My 1st run with my old smoker was nothing near this result....

Search Google for the 3-2-1 cooking method for ribs. (2-2-1 for babybacks).

Next time add some Hickory or Mesquite chips and you won't lack flavor.

Good point Frank.... What did you use for wood Walter?? How much? I've found that some of the woods (like apple) provide subtle smoke flavor, where others like hickory and mesquite give bold flavors. Consider giving a hickory / mesquite combo a try....

walter

Fourth Party
I used 4 fist size chuncks of hickory, 2 buried in the coals and 2 closer to where I dumped the hot coals. I know this is all about experimenting and stuff, so I'm not too bothered. I just wish we had a better amount of rub on there.

TedH

I use a "small" BGE and am a convert after a friend from TN fed me pulled pork off of his. Holy cow it's good! I'm a fan of Wicked Good wood charcoal, a bit of applewood for smoke and a nice bistecca Fiorentina with a Barolo.

Read "Cooked" by Michael Pollan if you want want some entertainment on southern barbecue.

Frank

Sasquatch
This thread is bad for my waistline:) Does anyone soak wood? I use wet wood to control the burn and to generate a good amount of smoke. Perhaps I shouldn't do that? I've only been smoking for the last year and have had great success with everything, but it's really smokey. Rib meat comes out mostly purpleish from the smoke. I usually finish it off with Sweet Bay Rays ( I will try the honey addition thanks Jmanic) and they rule. I'm wondering if it could be better. :hmmm:

Top Bottom