Who here had had a full knee replacement.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The time has come to face the facts.

I now have every excuse for an e-bike

23D91F40-6A68-43C7-B86E-F152AD4314F3.jpeg
25CB2BA9-A1F3-47FB-9464-D9709CCC398C.jpeg

I believe this is the technology I’m going to use, but I’d love to hear from those who know if this is the shit or total shit.

Discuss:

Pain

Long term experience

Change in mobilty and or flexibility.

I’m down 20lbs solid since Xmas. I’m getting ready for the fight of my life

Intermittent fasting again too

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good luck J
My local riding buddy is going in 2 weeks to have his knee replaced. My biggest fear is I maybe next, between my job, playing hard and SS the past 10 years leave me with 2 very sketchy knees.

Rich

View attachment 182100View attachment 182101

I believe this is the technology I’m going to use, but I’d love to hear from those who know if this is the shit or total shit.

Discuss:

Pain

Long term experience

My understanding the key is the Doctor doing the surgery. My wife had both knees replaced and she her knees are 100% better than before. My brother had his done and is about to hike to base camp of Mt. Everest. Neither one cyclist, but have recovered nicely. However, buddy had his done in NC and can barely walk, will never ride a bike again. If you have not picked a Dr. yet look up Dr. Kissen out of Hackensack, he only does knees. I tore my lateral and medical menicus pretty good and Dr. K repaired it. I am 100%. I ride and run with zero issues.

JDurk

Discuss:

Pain

Long term experience

Bummer, hopefully you'll feel better quick after surgery. A rider on our team had his done on March 24. He does photography for the Philadelphia Eagles, so that might have influenced the doctor he picked. Here's some comments he made when asked on his FB page.

"dr Carl deirmengian from Rothman. He is out of Lankenau but the knee was done at their surgical center in Limerick."

"I was in the hospital one night and out in the morning. I have had relatively minimal pain and was walking within hours of surgery. They hospital and nurses were great. Before this, that knee had been operated on 5x and this by far was the best experience. I will go back to him when my right knee goes but it should last me a few years. The doctor is arguably the best in the region and one of the best in the US. Do you need your knee done?"

This picture was March 25.
1648982577840.png

This was yesterday.
1648982357344.png

1648982402330.png

Last edited:

Rollin Dice

I had a bilateral total knee replacement in May of '21. I used Dr. Peter Sculco from HSS. I would highly reccomend both. I was back to work in six weeks and I feel great. Wish I had done it sooner. Best advice I can give is research your surgeon and bust your ass in PT.

roc

My understanding the key is the Doctor doing the surgery. My wife had both knees replaced and she her knees are 100% better than before. My brother had his done and is about to hike to base camp of Mt. Everest. Neither one cyclist, but have recovered nicely. However, buddy had his done in NC and can barely walk, will never ride a bike again. If you have not picked a Dr. yet look up Dr. Kissen out of Hackensack, he only does knees. I tore my lateral and medical menicus pretty good and Dr. K repaired it. I am 100%. I ride and run with zero issues.
i have sold a lot of DME equipment to patients who’ve had knees and hips done. Its all about the doc! You’re going have that thing in your body for 20 years or so, go to the right doc, even if it’s out of network.

iman29

I also know someone who just had one of his knees done a few weeks ago he’s already been walking and rehabbing and using zwift as part of it. I can ask him and make a connection if you like.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
look up Dr. Kissen out of Hackensack
+1 on Kissin-
He's my guy too, was one of the folks that was involved the FDA trials for robotic surgery.
I need to get on his calendar.

Ian F

Personally, no. But a long time riding friend is planning to have the first of both knees replaced this fall (other one next year). She has been fighting knee pain for pretty much all of the 30 years I've known her. A long time playing scholastic sports has resulted in knees that already resemble a road map of surgery scars. But a fall last year in FL resulting in another ligament tear and another surgery was the last straw. Her eBike is pretty much the only way she can ride now (and it's still painful - she's just used to riding in pain).

pygmypony

Discuss:

Pain

Long term experience

good luck J! you got this! one of my local edison buddies just had this done and is back on the bike after about 3 months give or take. i will get some deets from him

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
This is from an athlete’s perspective and someone who’s activity level is higher than the average person… At age 43 I had a total replacement of my left knee. That was January 2016. Prior to that I had 5 surgeries on the same knee.

I told the doctor I had two goals - 1) be able to ride my bike without pain. 2) play on the beach with my kids.

2 days post op I was walking with a cane per the doctor’s order. It was insanely painful. Took me a month to go back to work full-time. 3 months before I could stand on my feet all day. Structured rehab was 4 months. Did my first road ride 5 months post surgery. It was slow and short.

The commercial of the 65 year old water skiing 6 months after knee replacement is BULLSHIT. It took ~1 year to be 95% pain free and be able to ride, hike, play with no worries and no brace. The clicking and clunking never goes away.

It was 2 years before I went snowboarding again, and only with a heavy brace. I wouldn’t even think about skiing for the simple reason of not wanting to blow out my other knee.

My one and only regret is not sticking to a consistent leg-strengthening routine a year after the surgery. I thought I could get away with light weights and cycling - and for the most part it was enough - but now that my kids are snowboarding more (6 years post-op), I’m having trouble keeping up. The knee fatigues and starts to hurt after a full day. Boarding 2 days in a row is tough without a lot of Advil and a heavy brace. I am having the same issues with park and DH riding - anything with big impacts.

Once you get past the rehab and all the restrictions, make sure to keep your legs strong. I mean real strong with weights and a consistent routine. You’ll have less issues 6, 10, 15 years post surgery.

Good luck!

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is from an athlete’s perspective and someone who’s activity level is higher than the average person… At age 43 I had a total replacement of my left knee. That was January 2016. Prior to that I had 5 surgeries on the same knee.

I told the doctor I had two goals - 1) be able to ride my bike without pain. 2) play on the beach with my kids.

2 days post op I was walking with a cane per the doctor’s order. It was insanely painful. Took me a month to go back to work full-time. 3 months before I could stand on my feet all day. Structured rehab was 4 months. Did my first road ride 5 months post surgery. It was slow and short.

The commercial of the 65 year old water skiing 6 months after knee replacement is BULLSHIT. It took ~1 year to be 95% pain free and be able to ride, hike, play with no worries and no brace. The clicking and clunking never goes away.

It was 2 years before I went snowboarding again, and only with a heavy brace. I wouldn’t even think about skiing for the simple reason of not wanting to blow out my other knee.

My one and only regret is not sticking to a consistent leg-strengthening routine a year after the surgery. I thought I could get away with light weights and cycling - and for the most part it was enough - but now that my kids are snowboarding more (6 years post-op), I’m having trouble keeping up. The knee fatigues and starts to hurt after a full day. Boarding 2 days in a row is tough without a lot of Advil and a heavy brace. I am having the same issues with park and DH riding - anything with big impacts.

Once you get past the rehab and all the restrictions, make sure to keep your legs strong. I mean real strong with weights and a consistent routine. You’ll have less issues 6, 10, 15 years post surgery.

Good luck!
This may be the first negative (or not all positive) Yelp review I’ve heard about the procedure.
Thanks for sharing.

I will say that I was a bit surprised at the time on returning to activity or full use (6-12m) when talking with my doc, seems consistent with your experience.
Not a selling point, lol.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The commercial of the 65 year old water skiing 6 months after knee replacement is BULLSHIT.
They all are since with any replacement really, you technically shouldn't be doing any activity at all as per the fine print. My wife used to design knee/hip implants. They had NFL, etc. players come in all the time to record commercials in their campus studio on how they were able to get back into doing what they did. Which they do, but they need another one a few years later when parts start to wear. Just take it easy and don't take up skiing moguls.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
This may be the first negative (or not all positive) Yelp review I’ve heard about the procedure.
Thanks for sharing.

I will say that I was a bit surprised at the time on returning to activity or full use (6-12m) when talking with my doc, seems consistent with your experience.
Not a selling point, lol.
I was trying to come across as sincere and realistic. My overall experience is positive, especially considering the pain and limping I endured for many years.

There’s a reason they want you to hold out as long as possible before getting a replacement. It’s never the same after that. It will limit you at some level. Cycling is pretty low impact (even mountain biking) so that shouldn’t be a problem. If you’re looking to get back into Spartan races or marathons, forget it.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was trying to come across as sincere and realistic. My overall experience is positive, especially considering the pain and limping I endured for many years.

There’s a reason they want you to hold out as long as possible before getting a replacement. It’s never the same after that. It will limit you at some level. Cycling is pretty low impact (even mountain biking) so that shouldn’t be a problem. If you’re looking to get back into Spartan races or marathons, forget it.
Yeah, I appreciate the reality-
More often than not, it’s “oh why did I wait so long- this is great!”
No mention of downsides.

Like I said, talking over the recovery schedule with the doc was eye opening.

Ian F

My friend has made similar comments about why she has waited so long. She works as a physical therapist, so she has been watching (hundreds of?) people of all ages recover from knee replacements for years. Her pre-cycling background after sports-ball was competitive body building, so she knows what she'll have to do for strength training. But at 61, I'm sure keeping up the motivation will be rough.

Top Bottom