Who has the rite away???

Wrong Way Dan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have one simple quick question. when someone is climbing and someone is coming downhill who has to to yield to who??? i think the person downhilling has to yield to the climber. just want to get some other people opinion on this one.

i have one simple quick question. when someone is climbing and someone is coming downhill who has to to yield to who??? i think the person downhilling has to yield to the climber. just want to get some other people opinion on this one.

You are correct. Bikes yield to hikers and horses regardless of the direction.

I agree....the person climbing is using much more energy and is moving much slower, which means it would be much harder for them to move out of the way quickly. The rider coming down hill has more speed and can correct steering and change direction faster (even if it requires a little braking) and temporarily slowing down a touch..

You are correct. Bikes yield to hikers and horses regardless of the direction.

And unicorns. They always have right of way.

Last edited:
I agree, person climbing has right of way, but for some reason alot of riders think when they say rider up that means they have it

The answer is still the same as when you asked the question last week on the NYCMTB board and the term is right of way.

Hardtails have ROW over FS bikes, rigid bikes have ROW over Hardtails, rigid singlespeeds have ROW over rigid geared bikes and rigid 29er singlespeeds have ROW over all others.

Going against the grain but I would think the climber would have to stop simply for safety reasons. It's much easier to stop going 5mph than 20mph.

Going against the grain but I would think the climber would have to stop simply for safety reasons. It's much easier to stop going 5mph than 20mph.

But try to get going again. Not so easy. If your bike cant stop while going 20 mph, get your brakes checked.

But try to get going again. Not so easy. If your bike cant stop while going 20 mph, get your brakes checked.

I'm speaking generally here. Maybe tight singletrack, not much room, quick turns, slower rider can stop easier. I stop no matter which direction I'm riding, unless the oncoming rider stopped first.

Hardtails have ROW over FS bikes, rigid bikes have ROW over Hardtails, rigid singlespeeds have ROW over rigid geared bikes and rigid 29er singlespeeds have ROW over all others.

This is true for all trails except for Harthorne. Seems that park uses the opposite rule.

What he said...or whoever has the stronger Clothesline

Generally, uphill has the right of way. Just makes sense for the reasons a lot of people already gave here. Occasionally, common sense should take over though -- extremely technical hills are sometimes barely rideable going up, and they can be ridden going down but require more concentration. In cases like that, if I'm the rider going up and another is coming down, I tend to stop and let the descender keep going. It's also cool to give them an audience as they clean the technical section! :)

There are plenty of A-holes that dont know the rules and do whatever they want. There are plenty of A-holes that know the rules and still do whatever they want.

Back
Top Bottom