White trail reroute, new trail.

Ethan Laek

Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but is there an updated map showing what trails have been trashed by the pipeline?

I'm out of Brooklyn so I don't really get out to Ringwood very often. I want to be able limit my losses and frustrations (I'm shaking my fist at the pipeline) and stick the good trails that are still there.

We were out there on Sat and a kindly local (she was on a CF Superfly) gave she us some directions towards a fun trail.

This was my ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/94169978

thx!

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
The pipeline construction is all in the north end of the park. If you stay south and try to avoid Millie Whites road, you should be fine. If you like technical, the red trail out to Skyline Drive is not affected by pipeline construction. Also the new section of White that you hit is in good shape too. The loop out to Ilgenstein rock is clear as well. I for one, hope this pipeline stuff is done soon, because they have been dragging this out way over the time frame that was given before they started.

Ethan Laek

Fair enough. It was my first time out there without a guide and we were turning down anything that looked passable in the leaves.

I don't know the park so I am asking for navigation help.

Thanks!

burchbj1

A bit perverse that you're using Strava...or any other more-or-less public data site to call someone out on their whereabouts. We all mine Strava, Garmin, etc. to find new, fun and interesting routes...and to help each other out. If people begin using it point out minor infractions of what most consider dated violations...where will that leave us? Lastly, if it weren't for mountain bikers utilizing some of these trails...they would have been reclaimed by the forests many, many years ago and no longer exist.
My point here is not to call you out and make a big deal...but to point out that we all should be careful what we post.
Thanks & keep on riding & sharing.

Tionegear

Thank You DirtDawg- way to be a good mtbnjerrrrrrr

We have a good thing here at Ringwood. Please respect the very few trails that are marked foot traffic only. A 2 second look at your Strava shows you riding right across the green hiking only trail which is clearly marked foot traffic only. With all the biking trails, there is simply no reason to do that.[/Qoute

Ethan Laek

A bit perverse that you're using Strava...or any other more-or-less public data site to call someone out on their whereabouts. We all mine Strava, Garmin, etc. to find new, fun and interesting routes...and to help each other out. If people begin using it point out minor infractions of what most consider dated violations...where will that leave us? Lastly, if it weren't for mountain bikers utilizing some of these trails...they would have been reclaimed by the forests many, many years ago and no longer exist.
My point here is not to call you out and make a big deal...but to point out that we all should be careful what we post.
Thanks & keep on riding & sharing.

Err, there is a public map and everything we rode is listed on it.

I used Strava because I needed to upload the data from the Garmin to something so I could reinterpret it at a later date. I know most people look at Strava as a wellspring of competitive behavior, but that is just a small part of its functionality.

I freely admit that I poached the Green hiking trail and I will do no such thing again.

That said, if anyone wants to highlight a loop that their experience has shown to be a 'best of' I would love to see it!

JohnnyPedals

Ethan I don't think burchbj1 was saying you did anything wrong. He was calling out Dirt Dawg for his holier than thou attitude. This site seems to be loaded with people who want to tell everyone what they should do.

My favorite on here is in the spring when all the "people in the know" post up how they rode the trails today getting muddy so stay off. So they get there ride in and tell us to stay home.

What a joke this place is!!!

Just go to Ringwood and enjoy the trails:)

JP

Brozie

Ethan I don't think burchbj1 was saying you did anything wrong. He was calling out Dirt Dawg for his holier than thou attitude. This site seems to be loaded with people who want to tell everyone what they should do.

My favorite on here is in the spring when all the "people in the know" post up how they rode the trails today getting muddy so stay off. So they get there ride in and tell us to stay home.

What a joke this place is!!!

Just go to Ringwood and enjoy the trails:)

JP

I agree

JR Zano

If there is any trail in the park you should avoid if possible it is the Green trail, the hikers get really angry when they see bikers on this trail.

As far as a good ride that avoids the pipeline, I love the shuttle ride. Park at Ryerson, and Shuttle to the top of Skyline. Ride the Red trail from Skyline into the park then, new white trail, Skylands to warm puppy, up Ice pond road, down Catsnest, up Ice pond again the down red to school. If you have the time and legs you can do this entire ride from TOS (top of skyline) and ride the yellow trail back out of the park to TOS.

http://app.strava.com/activities/81036608

burchbj1

I'd take their "anger" with a grain of salt. Anyone who's out for a healthy, peaceful walk in the woods and comes across a cyclist and gets "angry"...is also the same person who gets angry at the grocery store, behind the wheel of their car, etc. I think as long as you're courteous...stop...say hello... and ride safely past them, you're fine. You can't change people, but you can try and change their perception.

JR Zano

Yes this is the proper etiquette when riding on any of the multi use trails in any park, But hikers should not have to deal with bikers on the Hiking only trails in any park. Yes bikers do get lost or don't know any better, but if you do then you should avoid these hiking only trails. JORBA has worked very hard to open multi use trails in a lot of the NJ parks and one of the fastest ways to get biking kicked out of a park is to have a incident with a hiker on a trail that you shouldn't be on. Incase you are not clear, The Halifax trail, Green blaze is hiking only.... Please do get out and enjoy the trails in Ringwood, there's a lot of good ones, and we are working on more...

James

I'd take their "anger" with a grain of salt. Anyone who's out for a healthy, peaceful walk in the woods and comes across a cyclist and gets "angry"...is also the same person who gets angry at the grocery store, behind the wheel of their car, etc. I think as long as you're courteous...stop...say hello... and ride safely past them, you're fine. You can't change people, but you can try and change their perception.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions