White clay/fair hill

Jase

I'm planning on doing a white clay creek and fair hills trip, but have a few questions.

For White clay, does anyone know in what section the corkscreew trail is in?

How far is Fair hill from White clay?

I down loaded the map on Maprika, can someone recommend a loop?

MikeP

If you park in the "bird lot" off possum hollow rd, drop into to the right and it's a short distance from there. WC to Fair Hill is maybe 30 minutes.

Rusty

Only been there twice but suggest what we did, it worked well. Use the Maprika map to see where you are at intersections. Used Strava to actually record the ride....you always know where you are...can kill your legs in one shot at wcc/mr 20+ miles easily...wanting to try fair hill soon, never been....

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I'm planning on doing a white clay creek and fair hills trip, but have a few questions.

For White clay, does anyone know in what section the corkscreew trail is in?

How far is Fair hill from White clay?

I down loaded the map on Maprika, can someone recommend a loop?

If you park off Possum Hollow Road, its across the road. From the lot, jump on the trail. From the parking lot and bear to the left at the first split. Follow that down to cross the road and then follow that trail to the first bridge crossing, cross the bridge and then take a left (the long log ride that ends in a jump is to your left on the bridge.) Follow that trail dwon around the log over and then bear to the left to take the trail that drops down to the long bridge crossing. Take a left after the bridge to reach the bottom of the corkscrew trail. To come down the corkscrew, take a right after that bridge and follow it into the climb section the bears to the left near the house. Climb up to the Snow Goose cutoff trail and take a left - that will bring you to the top of corkscrew.

For a full loop, bypass the Snow Goose cutoff until later and follow the climb up to the log piles and take a right turn right past them to follow the trail out to Judge Morris Estate (you;ll have to cros the highway to get there.) You can then come back the same way and hit Corkscrew on the way down. After that, take a right at the bottom of Corkscrew and head out to cross the bridge to the Lenape Trail, which will circle you back toward the parking area eventually.

You could spend all day out there if you want to -- the trails are well marked and if you just explore it, you;ll eventually circle back to the parking lot anyway. It's a great ride! Have fun! :D

MikeP

went Saturday morning what a beautiful day. Only had time for a mini loop. Ran into the tandem crew from NNJ/NY, nice folks to chat with for a few minutes. Hoping to head back down Friday if the weather cooperates.

moray42

Merman
Please update conditions if you make it back down Mike. Had a group planning to go on Saturday, but then I saw the forecast this morning. Really hoping to catch a break.

Jase

If you park off Possum Hollow Road, its across the road. From the lot, jump on the trail. From the parking lot and bear to the left at the first split. Follow that down to cross the road and then follow that trail to the first bridge crossing, cross the bridge and then take a left (the long log ride that ends in a jump is to your left on the bridge.) Follow that trail dwon around the log over and then bear to the left to take the trail that drops down to the long bridge crossing. Take a left after the bridge to reach the bottom of the corkscrew trail. To come down the corkscrew, take a right after that bridge and follow it into the climb section the bears to the left near the house. Climb up to the Snow Goose cutoff trail and take a left - that will bring you to the top of corkscrew.

For a full loop, bypass the Snow Goose cutoff until later and follow the climb up to the log piles and take a right turn right past them to follow the trail out to Judge Morris Estate (you;ll have to cros the highway to get there.) You can then come back the same way and hit Corkscrew on the way down. After that, take a right at the bottom of Corkscrew and head out to cross the bridge to the Lenape Trail, which will circle you back toward the parking area eventually.

You could spend all day out there if you want to -- the trails are well marked and if you just explore it, you;ll eventually circle back to the parking lot anyway. It's a great ride! Have fun! :D

Whew...that's a mouth full....lol :D

I've been to White Clay, just haven't been to the corkscrew. So you're saying the best place to park for the corkscrew is Possum Hollow Road?

Does anyone know if Fair hill is marked well and can recommend a loop? I've downloaded all 3 maps on Maprika.

I was there last weekend but got lost trying to find the parking lot at Lenape Connector trail. Anyone have any Garmin gps maps of this place or have a link to some? I found one link but it shows different sections of the park.

jayres6

fair hill white clay combo

you can actually ride from white clay to fair hill if you want to do a mega combo. the north end of WC is very close to the east end of FH. I've done this a few times and it makes for an epic day. here's a map of one of those rides that ended up being about 57 miles. almost all single track.

we did the MASS race course in FH and then covered most of the trails in WC, but not everything.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/235413142

DonBito

I am in the area for a few days and brought my bike with me. Is there an actual gps address to this place.

jayres6

I am in the area for a few days and brought my bike with me. Is there an actual gps address to this place.

for white clay, I like to park here: 39.715836,-75.724039
it's close to the tri-state bird rescue. It's a free parking lot is in the middle of everything. direct access to the trails. this section of the park is technically Middle Run.

I don't know fair hill as well, but there is parking all around the park. there are lots of little honor system pay lots. a little google maps should reveal parking pretty easily. or maybe someone else can chime in with where to park.

Schilling

Team MTBNJ Halter's
fyi

Dates for Shotgun Hunting Season: November 15, 2013 - November 23, 2013, December 19, 20, 21, January 18, 2014 - January 25, 2014. CERTAIN TRAILS WILL BE CLOSED ON THESE DATES. TRAIL HEADS WILL BE POSTED "TRAILS CLOSED ACTIVE HUNTING AREA". HOWEVER ALL TRAILS WILL BE OPEN ON SUNDAYS

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Got out to do the Middle Run/Fair Hill combo yesterday for the second time in about a month. This is a great ride that's quickly becoming a favorite for me! In all, I did it in "sixes" -- 60 miles and 6000 feet of climbing in 6 hours. Ventured a little further afield in Fair Hill this time, riding about three-fourths of the FH50 lap (part of the connection on the lap is currently closed since they are rebuilding a bridge, so I had to double back on the Yellow Trail fire road rather than cross the creek to complete the loop.) Definitely worth a trip for some endurance miles, but FH is a huge place and if you're skittish about getting lost, it might be a good idea to go with somoene who knows it. I'm obviously not someone who knows it too well - I had no idea where I was for half the ride, but I didn't care. I have no issue with getting lost in that park since I figure I'll eventually find my way out once i orient myself on the fire roads.

THATmanMANNY

white clay this weekend anyone?

i like that previous fair hill vid with the running spotters lol

HEY anyone want to do a trip down to white clay this Sat early morn?

We are visiting wife's friend in Newark and staying over but I have some time to ride in the morning. Either way, I am pretty sure I am bringing my bike to ride with you or without you. I just have to find me some new chainring bolts that I lost at 6mile today :mad:

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Look for some O&B on the trails. Heading down there Sat with a few heads. Not sure what time.

Top Bottom