White Clay Creek & Middle Run trail systems - Newark DE

lmckee

I've seen a few posts up on this site about these two trail systems. I grew up in NJ but I live in Newark Delaware now making these trails local to me. Last summer I rode White Clay extensively and Middle Run a few times. For anyone that doesn't know about both of these systems they are actually two separate and fairly different parks. The best part is that these parks are actually connected to each other and can be chained into a somewhat epic mountain bike ride. Both places flow great, are very well maintained, and are an absolute blast to ride.
On the middle run side you'll run into some nice elevation changes making for some decent climbing and some seriously fun downhill speed. There are some really cool technical features in Middle Run like "logzilla" and the "mountain goat" and "corkscrew" trails. Middle run in general flows great and is an awesome ride that will definitely not disappoint or get boring.
White Clay is equally as awesome as Middle Run but with a little less elevation change and more flow. White Clay also has a fun "skills trail" that is made up of some north shore type stuff with some nice skinnies, a suspension bridge, and some teeter totters. White Clay is a truly enjoyably ride with lots of great singletrack that snakes between the woods and farm fields making for some great scenery and awesome riding.
One thing to keep in mind about these trail systems is that they are very well maintained and the people that are responsible for that (the DE Trailspinners) try very hard to keep it that way. I definitely don't suggest driving out to ride here if the trails are wet and sloppy because you might get intercepted in the parking lot by the park ranger who will send you packing. If anybody does plan on coming out and your not sure about the trail conditions I will be glad to go and check them out for you as I only live about 10 minutes away, just send me a message.
As far as directions and parking are concerned there are multiple places to park but there is one lot that I usually park at that is in the upper end of Middle Run. I park here because the parking is free (White Clay its 3 or 4 dollars) and it puts you at a good middle point between the two parks. The entrance to the parking lot is on the left across from 144 Possum Hollow Rd. Newark DE 19711, I suggest looking it up on google maps because it will give you the street view. The best trail map of these trails can be found at http://www.kencox.net/?page_id=29 and is in pdf format. If anyone has any more questions, needs trail conditions, or wants to ride feel free to send me a message.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
hit the road today

first off...thanks for the text. trails were great. 124miles south on rt95...im in south amboy. i hit the road today solo and went down for a ride. i suggest if you haven't been GO and if you have GO BACK. soooo much flow, sooo fast and long trails no way did i hit all of them. middle run is great...the white clay side has the skills area ...the whole place is fast. some elevation gain but i had *old MARY jane rotten crotch* and it was no problem. between riding and taking videos and some stops i was out in the woods for about 4hrs. 1:45 to get there the directions to the address in the first post are spot on and very easy. videos and pics in MEDIA sub forum. im sad i had to leave:cry: but will be back.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
wcc/mr has serious fun factor and can make for a 30mile, FAST ride. It's the kind of place that has a little of everything. There are so many trails that you want to hit 2 or 3 times, but there is enough trails there that you could ride for 20-30 miles and not hit the same stuff twice.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Local campgrounds? Sounds like these would be worth a weekend trip!

im not sure about that. but even as a day trip its good. if the weather holds up nice down there MIG walter and I are gonna put plans together to go. you should join us. walter buys lunch all the time

lmckee

im not sure about that. but even as a day trip its good. if the weather holds up nice down there MIG walter and I are gonna put plans together to go. you should join us. walter buys lunch all the time

Just let me know when you guys are coming out. After we ride we can go to my house and fire up the grill.

ps. No campgrounds that I can think of but anyone is more than welcome to pitch a tent in my yard.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
Just let me know when you guys are coming out. After we ride we can go to my house and fire up the grill.

ps. No campgrounds that I can think of but anyone is more than welcome to pitch a tent in my yard.

now here is a man that knows what the f*** is up!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Dude, since we go way back now I may have to take you up on this offer. Perhaps we should have an official MTBNJ group ride there.

lmckee

Dude, since we go way back now I may have to take you up on this offer. Perhaps we should have an official MTBNJ group ride there.

Just let me know when and I'll buy the food. Seriously though, if a bunch of people want to come out and ride White Clay I'd be more than glad to have a bbq in my yard. My house is far from a mansion but I have a yard, a grill, a big stereo, plenty of parking, and of course... A quoit pit (for us jersey guys).:cool:

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
well now we wait for conditions to get good and set a date and go...sundays work best for me and some others. its real easy to get there

Sircrashalot

Nice!:D I usually eat lobsters for lunch on ride days :rolleyes:

Be sure to post up...I'd be interested if you are going on a weekend. Unfortunately I have the daily grind mon-fri.

I was thinking camping trip to get two days of riding in...seems like plenty there for 2 days.

Sircrashalot

I can do some diggin...gotta be something around there....wouldn't want to impose...but would come eat BBQ!!! Will bring beer!!

Top Bottom