Whistler this summer?

betta285

Just through some quick research I estimate that it would cost somewhere around $900 for a 3-night trip to Whistler, including flight, hotel, lift ticket etc. I am seriously thinking about making the trip one week this summer. If I do decide to go, would anyone be interested in joining me?

Jim

Ian F

Have you been to Whistler before?

Just wondering... since 3 nights seems kinda short... since you'll lose the better part of a day on each end travelling... :confused:

(been there... worth the trip... can't wait to go again... but not in the budget for this year... :( )

dhsean

The stories I have heard you should double that estimate. :D

I'm buying a house so it's another year I have to say "no". One of these years I'm going to make it out there.

betta285

Have you been to Whistler before?

Just wondering... since 3 nights seems kinda short... since you'll lose the better part of a day on each end travelling... :confused:

(been there... worth the trip... can't wait to go again... but not in the budget for this year... :( )

No, I haven't been there yet. Of course I would like to stay much longer, but between the extra cost for hotel/lift ticket/food per day, and summer classes and two jobs, it is probably all I can manage to squeeze out while still remaining fiscally responsible.

Jim

Ian F

No, I haven't been there yet. Of course I would like to stay much longer, but between the extra cost for hotel/lift ticket/food per day, and summer classes and two jobs, it is probably all I can manage to squeeze out while still remaining fiscally responsible.

Jim

IMHO, considering the cost of the flight and the travel effort involved, I'd wait until you can give it a full week. I was there for a week (5 days of riding, two days of travelling) and it still wasn't enough. There's just sooo much cool stuff there to ride...

For a fun long-w/e trip that'll cost less, how about Plattekill, Lake Placid or Highland Mtn?

Sircrashalot

IMHO, considering the cost of the flight and the travel effort involved, I'd wait until you can give it a full week. I was there for a week (5 days of riding, two days of travelling) and it still wasn't enough. There's just sooo much cool stuff there to ride...

For a fun long-w/e trip that'll cost less, how about Plattekill, Lake Placid or Highland Mtn?

+1 for do something more local on that kinda time constraint & wait until you can spend more time before buying a plane ticket. Especially if the $$ and the time are both factors...more bang for the buck more local, then do the trip full tilt when you can!
My in-laws live in Lake Placid....you can be there from NJ in under 6 hours, and will not grow bored of riding Whiteface over the course of a three day weekend. Cool town, tons of stuff goin' on at night in the summer, amazing hiking too if you get sick of riding. You could do it on the super-cheap by staying at the Lake Placid KOA campground- awesome sites, super clean bathrooms, and you can walk down a 5 minute path to a swimming hole with 15 & 35 foot waterfalls you can jump off. Damn good after riding.

Ian F

yeah... and another thing... while it can be done, "Whistler on the cheap" is tough to do... at least not without some guidance as far as where to find the "local eats" as opposed to the more obvious touri$t eat$...

FFT

Gay & Stuffy

Jim

Then save time and $$ and hit Highland. The stunts are bigger than whistler anyway.

fattireb

Agree with the consensus to skip Whistler for a 3 night trip and wait until you can book at least a full week. If you do a full week make sure to head out of Whistler to find the goods. Mt Seymore and Fromme in Vancouver's North Shore are sooo much fun.

B737

going there on sat. either 4 or 3 days :) going to play it by ear. fly continental, alaska or even southwest i think into SEA you'll save some coin, rental cars are cheap last minute, last time we went out there the car (a jeep) was about 19 a day from Fox

Last edited:

Ian F

You're not going this Sat are you?

I'd hazard a guess most of the mtn is still covered with snow... :confused:

Honestly... I still think that's a wasted trip... especially if you plan to take your own bike... might be better if you rent bikes when you get there and travel with a minimum of gear (no checked luggage if you can manage it)... but by the time you get off the plane in Seattle... get whatever checked baggage you have... (which was a real PITA with the bikes)... get your rental... and do the 4 hr drive (233 miles) from the Seattle airport to Whistler... find your room and check in... the first day is basically shot... the return trip is little better (might be able to get a short morning ride in if you pack the night before and get an evening flight...) We flew into Vancouver, which is much closer to Whistler, but we had to deal with going through customs at the airport, so IIRC, the actual time savings was minimal vs. half of our group which flew into Seattle and drove through the border crossing, which was apparently less hassle.

Good luck...

Last edited:

B737

;) yeah this Saturday were just going boarding for a few days.

we usually do this once a month.

Top Bottom