Whirlybird Cross VIDEO...

MarkyMark

It's all said with hope of a laugh. Speaking of which I will likely be doing my first cx race next Sunday at the Westwood one....I have never gone into something so clueless in my life. Although I may get in a practice with the Westwood guys on Tuesday, I hope!

Where do the Westwood guys practice at? I live just a few miles away and would love to practice with some people in the area.

RNG1

Where do the Westwood guys practice at? I live just a few miles away and would love to practice with some people in the area.

I was asking mark from westwood yesterday if there will be a set day and he was thinking tuesday but did not confirm that yet.After this RW race I'm looking to spend some time on the cx bike. There is a park in old tappan that I can't think of the name right now but we rode past it after a friday road ride and there was a couple of guys practicing. I can post the location when I get home but it is on Dewolf road going north on the left, in old tappan. I will post up info once I get it and see if I can get Mark to solidify this.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I am still miffed at what happened to that guy at the start. He was in the front row and had no one near him. I thought that his hand slipped off the bars or something. He went down fast and hard. My daughter told me that someone else got tangles in his bike and they had to remove wheels to separate themselves.

Someone on another forum mentioned that he missed his pedal trying to clip in. I guess that may be it but he should have been clipped in well before that. I've seen plenty of missed pedals but never that bad.

Apparently, he hit his shoulder hard and did not continue. He now takes the crown from Norm for shortest CX race. :popcorn:
That's Adam Duncan, I know him through Doug Spitz. The story I got was that he very recently switched to Crank Brothers pedals, and that led to his "problem". I guess he went to stomp it, wasn't really clipped in, and pedaled himself right off of the bike. Ouch.

BiknBen

its probably the camera but it looks like the posts in the turns go right under your bars

Keep in mind the camera is on my head. While leaning through the turn, my head goes over the stakes while the bike goes around.

At this race, the organizer put the course tape half-way up the stakes. I liked that because you are less likely to get the tape caught on your bars. I hit the stakes in the turns a number of times. I ride the in the drops most of the time and the stakes will hit my brake levers. In one spot on was on the hoods and hit the stake around a fast corner. I could hear myself saying "Ouch!" in the video.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I was asking mark from westwood yesterday if there will be a set day and he was thinking tuesday but did not confirm that yet.After this RW race I'm looking to spend some time on the cx bike. There is a park in old tappan that I can't think of the name right now but we rode past it after a friday road ride and there was a couple of guys practicing. I can post the location when I get home but it is on Dewolf road going north on the left, in old tappan. I will post up info once I get it and see if I can get Mark to solidify this.

I need practice too :cry:. I have portable barriers. I may take them over to Glen Rock Duck pond, if that interests you. I also run the hhk train station mega stairs. Just do not look to me for any good advise, as I am pretty lame. :eek:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just do not look to me for any good advise, as I am pretty lame. :eek:

I'm a pretty big fan of Booger's advice in Better Off Dead. With the tape everywhere it gives you a tangible set of items to try and miss.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I'm a pretty big fan of Booger's advice in Better Off Dead. With the tape everywhere it gives you a tangible set of items to try and miss.

Good point. I'll just pretend the kid who wants his $2 is after me. Yeh, that should work. :rolleyes:

RNG1

I need practice too :cry:. I have portable barriers. I may take them over to Glen Rock Duck pond, if that interests you. I also run the hhk train station mega stairs. Just do not look to me for any good advise, as I am pretty lame. :eek:

That could work, the thing about this park in old tappan though is that it has a short steep grassy section that you can run up then loop around a few cans and then ride it down and turn so at least there is a little handling practice. Plus I get the feeling that this is one of those more the merrier kinda things.

BiknBen

All it takes is some imagination.

Last year, I did CX intervals around the fields at an Elementary school near my office. I'd follow the treeline, then a fence, then along the edge of building, and finally through the parking lot. There was a playground that required you to step up onto the mulch bedding around it. That became my "barrier" and I'd jump off and run across the mulch.

All this was done after school hours so no one even noticed.

Oreo

Great video Ben, I'm a sucker for race videos and this one got me thinking about giving cross another shot. Sold my bike few months ago after sitting in my garage for over a yr collecting dust and now I'm regretting it :mad:. working on a replacement and hopefully be ready in 2 weeks. :D Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom