Which is the best trail at Stokes?

rwix15

I am going camping for 3 days in April. It's been years since I was on the trails at Stokes. Back then, it was picking some random trails from the map, all before I knew about mtbnj.com. So now I plan to take the great advice from the other threads posted about Stokes.

But, my question is; which trail is an absolute must? The most fun?

I am not sure how many trails I can do, or want to do in 3 days. So, I don't want to miss the real good ones. I do remember some trails have awesome scenery.

Thanks so much,
Rich

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Over 3 days and due to the trail layout you will hit them all . Criss trail should be avoided unless you enjoy suffering. Repost closer to the date and we,ll get more detailed:popcorn:

rwix15

I found a few pics from the last time I was at Stokes.

Attachments

• 66588303_ZUjUT-M.jpg
    66588303_ZUjUT-M.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 545
  • 66611217_2pSor-M.jpg
    66611217_2pSor-M.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 555
  • 171949646_xqw8g-M.jpg
    171949646_xqw8g-M.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 532

BAIN

Been riding this park for 5 years now and know most of it front to back!

All the trails are good for hiking on both sides of 206, but here is a list of trails that should be excluded from riding unless you are some sort of bionic biker =

Criss Trail
2nd Half of Silver Mine that leads down to Blue Mountain Trail
Stony Brook Trail
Tower Trail going up
Cartwright going up

Steffan is makeable if going counter clockwise

Trails that I find make it into most of my loops that have everything from rock gardens, stream beds, trees, ups and downs are the following!

Swenson
Blue Mountain
Coursen
Lackner
Stony Lake Trail (not on map, but can be located on either side of lake)
Tinsley (up or down is amazing)
Howell
Acropolis (just to see what you are made of)

As Brett said (he knows it better than the Rangers), you could actually run out of rideable terrain. You can explore beyond Stokes (on contiguous land) including High Point State Park to the North (across Deckertown Road), and if you don't pedalling a little on back roads and trails, cross 206 to the South and take Woods Road into the Del Water Gap NRA, down past Buttermilk Falls. (We rode the Donkey Hollow Trail to Millbrook Village, which includes a long climb but a kickass descent into the village).

Have fun.
BB

BAIN

I heard that place is just bunch of blown out double track jeep trails.

That would be correct information in regards to the Walpack area, all the Federal land of Tocks Island and Stokes trails West of 206

I wouldn't worry about it, Stokes has nothing to offer you guys!!!

BAIN

Is Cartwright even going down "do-able"?

I seem to recall boulder fields...

It is pretty sketchy, but worth it if you put your seat all the way down. I can't say that I know of anyone that has made it from top to bottom in one shot, but I wouldn't cross it off the list. The most shady thing is that you can only get to it by riding/walking on the AT

Dr Superb

I will be camping this weekend and next at stokes. Anyone been there lately? How are the conditions? I've found 2 gpx files in the short stack of threads about stokes. Thanks, I'll give them a try.

mtn

Best trail as follows: go through the entrance booth off of 206 and make a right through the yellow gate. Ride a while, stick right and exit through another yellow gate. Take the road up to another yellow gate to the left of a nice set of stairs to the right of the parking lot. Go up there, turn left and follow that and stay left to go down a big, sorta sketchy at high speeds hill, and take a gravel road down to a camping area. Cross the stream on your left and go up a hill. (nice singletrack) And you can figure it out from there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom