Which beach town for a week vacation?

Booked a place in Cape May a few weeks back, glad I got in early. Just saw an article on NJ.com that the demand is way up already. You need a subscription for that article, which oddly enough is bypassed if you view it on Facebook

You might want to Google "Cape May rail bike trail" ...sorry I am not sure how to provide you a link to it .....but it looks like a lot of fun

Reactions: rlb
You might want to Google "Cape May rail bike trail" ...sorry I am not sure how to provide you a link to it .....but it looks like a lot of fun

Looks like a good way for me to pedal my wife and 2 kids around lol

Cape May is a solid pick, especially with young kids. It's one of the more "feels like a real town" shore towns with plenty of walking and activities around it.

I've spent a few summers working in Wildwood back in college and my family has a spot down there. It isn't really as "seaside'y" as it used to (or so I'm told, I was too young to remember when it had a bad rep). The main town of Wildwood can still have a little bit of that vibe at night, and Old New Jersey Ave in N. Wildwood is bit of a party scene with all the bars on that strip. But the main neighborhoods in North Wildwood and the Crest are very laid back, more along the lines of Ocean City. I'll admit the boardwalk itself is better at Ocean City, but the rides in Wildwood are better imo.

It's a rail trail. Not very interesting but it's a rail trail. I usually get a few miles on it during my vacation each summer. I like to go north near the shore, or on the boardwalk in the morning. Then I'd go either to the west side of the cape and ride back to Cape May Point or take the rail trail back. It may not be very interesting but it gets you off the roads and brings you near the Cold Spring Brewery. I've never been, but it's right there.

It's a rail trail. Not very interesting but it's a rail trail. I usually get a few miles on it during my vacation each summer. I like to go north near the shore, or on the boardwalk in the morning. Then I'd go either to the west side of the cape and ride back to Cape May Point or take the rail trail back. It may not be very interesting but it gets you off the roads and brings you near the Cold Spring Brewery. I've never been, but it's right there.
There's another brewery not far from there as well in N. Cape May.

Cape May has been my default beer for a while, hopefully I can make it there. Wonder how well a growler will travel strapped to a rear rack?

One, there are a few. Cape May Brewing by the airport, 7 mile brewery in Rio Grande are the couple I have been too. Both are good.
Don't forget MudHen Brewing in Wildwood, as well as the distilleries. Nauti Spirits, Cape May and Lazy Eye are all in the area as well.

We booked 2 houses on the same block in Beach Haven. Big family. 1 house is huge and will keep everyone else and the other house is a little guy but my family will sleep there. Perfect considering the amount of kids in the other house, LOL.

But we were looking to go a second week with just my wife and kids, and things are filling up fast.

My sister is an LBI resident and a realtor there, 2020 was a record year for her. She posted a stat a few weeks ago, there were over 800 homes bought/sold in 2020, on the island itself. Rentals are out of control.

I am the booking agent for my in laws. haha We book the same house for the next summer right after current summer is over.
We developed a good rapport with the owner so she actually reaches out first. If you see this thing being a yearly thing and you love the house keep renting the same. We actually are "off the books" now so she saves us a few hundred bucks from the BS fees!

we do same for repeat customers

Last year was best year ever for rental but this year may out do that already booked for main part of season and now may is almost filled and going long into Sept now

My family just booked a place in Cape May for early summer. My question: Is it worth bringing the mountain bike down? It looks like Belleplain might be the closest place to ride? The place we are renting has the beach cruisers, but I'd like to go off road at least one or two days if there are good options nearby.

I'm also going to be pulling a trailer with my niece and daughter, so it might be worth bringing my bike for that to avoid pulling with a beach cruiser. Any expert opinions out there?

Best options nearby would be Belleplain (30 minutes on a good day) or Maurice River Bluffs (50 minutes on a good day). There isn't much directly on the peninsula besides the aforementioned rail trails. I can't vouch for Belleplain as I haven't ridden it, but Maurice River Bluffs is pretty fun for South Jersey. It's 5 miles total with an out-n-back loop. Free parking, separated walking and biking paths. It's a good mix of peddling, steeper drops, technical climbs, and features. Not a bad afternoon stop, I usually hit it on my way down to Wildwood during the summer.

Back
Top Bottom