Which beach town for a week vacation?

rlb

I'm planning a late July trip with my wife, 4 year old, and 8 month old, and me. I'm leaning towards Cape May since the beach will be the goal and we can hit the Wildwood boardwalk a few evenings to mix it up a bit. I like that Cape May has plenty of spots to walk around and explore without the boardwalk sensory overload.

I'm also considering Wildwood since there are far more places in my price range, but I feel like the whole week would become the boardwalk and that's gonna get old. Plus, the more I read, I get the feeling that it's a bit seaside-ish though not as bad? Not sure how else to explain it. I havent been there in 30 years so no clue really.

I also looked into Ocean City (NJ) but it seems like everything there in my price range is too far from the beach and pretty dingy looking.

Any other places I'm missing? Looking to keep it around $2200 for the rental with a nice beach in a walkable distance (toddler and I can't in tow) and something nearby to keep everyone on the list semi-happy.

rlb

I should also mention we day trip to Asbury Park so that's the kind of vibe the Mrs. and I like, but I just don't see that town keeping us occupied for a week.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Any interest in Ocean City, Md? Tons and tons of inventory so you can find places in any price range. We prefer the northern streets, which border delaware. You can drive to nice places to eat at the Delaware beaches. I Can recommend some areas.

ocean city, md is hot with south central
PA and DC peeps. While they are a bit of a different breed (yes, I grew up there), there are very few asshole NJ people there.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlb

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Your kids are at a perfect age where they’d enjoy the amusement park in Beach Haven (LBI). Island isn’t that wide so you’ll never be farther than a short walk to the beach. If the kids also want a change of pace from the beach there is also a water park on the island.

pkovo

Your kids are at a perfect age where they’d enjoy the amusement park in Beach Haven (LBI). Island isn’t that wide so you’ll never be farther than a short walk to the beach. If the kids also want a change of pace from the beach there is also a water park on the island.
This was what came to mind for me as well. Although I haven't spent a full week in LBI for several years, we used to rent down there every summer, and Fantasy Island was always a hit with the kids.

Bonus, some nice left hand "point like" breaks towards the south end of the island if a swell kicks up :)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Second for Stone Harbor. It's cheaper than Cape May but just as nice. Wildwood is right up the street to do the Boardwalk and rides for a day or 2 if needed.

xc62701

Cape may is my spot. My aunt has a place on the point where it’s quiet and easy beach access. Then we go out to Cape May proper for dinner exploring or head over to wildwood. Free zoo and some local breweries to check out as well.

walter

Fourth Party
Heres my short reviews as a beach person.
Cape May - this may be your best bet if you like the AP feel. The shops, the places to eat, the historical stuff, the zoo, the beach, and a short ride to Wildwood may keep you all occupied.
Wildwood- I havent been in years, but the beach itself is enormous, getting from the boardwalk to the water, especially with little ones may try your patience.
OCMD- we've been a bunch of times as they host one of the biggest cheer comps on the east coast. Imo, its extremely touristy, sitting on the beach all you see is high rise condos and hotels. Its crowded, and while there is all the usual stuff to do, you gotta deal with people. I actually enjoyed it more in the off season during the competitions.
OCNJ/Stone Harbor- ive never been to Stone Harbor but I have friends that go annually and they love it.
We went to OCNJ this past summer for the first time, just for a long weekend. Its small, so unless you add in sone day/night trips, it'll get old fast.
LBI- my pride and joy, i grew up here, my sister lives there and works on the island. Another place i enjoy more in the off season. Its crazy crowded, you'll wait to eat, and the traffic lights will drive you nuts. Plus, imo its extremely expensive.

My pic, if you're taking the fam and looking for fun, Cape May.

stilluf

I grew up in Point Pleasant in the 80s and 90s. People only went to Asbury to see bands and buy drugs (and to see bands buy drugs). So when I see it compared today to Cape May for a family vacation, I gotta laugh at how things have changed!!

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Ocean City, NJ. Nicest and cleanest. Boardwalk is about 2 miles long with to s to do. The beach is is really nice and clean as well. We get a house there almost every year(with the inlaws) and I have never once regretted it. Stone Harbor is nice if you like the richy rich folks. Never been to cape may.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
We used to go to LBI every summer for over 10 years. It doesn't have a boardwalk but has nice long (~11-14 miles) beach and the island is so narrow that you never have to walk too far to get to the beach. We usually stay south of the causeway and there are tons of shops, restaurants, and fun things to do for all ages.

skully

+1 for cape may .....its been my family go to for years ...mainly for the quiet...been to stone harbor once and it seemed nice and will definitely go back ....but cape may is our" go to "

JDurk

I'll vote for Cape May area as well. Family has a place in N. Cape May, 3 blocks from the Delaware Bay. Beaches are free and never crowded. Quick drive into town, or to Wildwood. Might be easier to find something in your rental price range as well. @walter covered all the things to do. And the sunsets can be pretty awesome.

IMG_20180624_070400631.jpg
20200627_201017.jpg

Last edited:

rlb

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I'm leaning Cape May already, and seems like OCNJ as a second, though I need to check again on the rentals there. No problems on the BYO since that saves $$ in the long run. I've heard nice things about Stone Harbor too, but I couldn't seem to find anything in my range there as well.

LBI and OCMD sound interesting too, but I think @walter has some good points, and that's the kind of info I was looking for.

teabagger11

Yes dont rule out renting town bank villas or delaven on the bay only a few minutes into cape may proper the bay is always nice for little ones no big waves and water is usually warmer than the ocean
People love renting our place in del haven lots of repeat customers

JDurk

Yes dont rule out renting town bank villas or delaven on the bay only a few minutes into cape may proper the bay is always nice for little ones no big waves and water is usually warmer than the ocean
People love renting our place in del haven lots of repeat customers
Sunset pic is from Holmes and Beach Ave on our way to Harpoons.

Top Bottom