Where to ride this weekend?

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Was at Ringwood today to check out the trails and they're still covered in snow and I 'm thinking Wawayanda's trails, being so close to RW will be similar. Was at Clayton last week and that was fun but could use something a little more challenging...how are the trails at Mahlon Dickerson looking?? Chimney Rock no doubt will be a swamp :confused: Besides pavement, suggestions?

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Was at Ringwood today to check out the trails and they're still covered in snow and I 'm thinking Wawayanda's trails, being so close to RW will be similar. Was at Clayton last week and that was fun but could use something a little more challenging...how are the trails at Mahlon Dickerson looking?? Chimney Rock no doubt will be a swamp :confused: Besides pavement, suggestions?

Ice, ice and more ice at Kittatinny, Mahlon & Allamuchy. While this weekend is going to be warmer, I don't think it will clear enough to ride. In fact, with melting ice it will probably be more treacherous than just regular ice.

I'm going to probably be on the road this weekend. I know how you feel -- I'm chomping at the bit to get back into the woods. But in my opinion, it is not worth it to hurt yourself now on slippery ice and be on the DL during the spring. :drooling: That would really suck.

ArmyOfNone

Jdog Jeff and I are planning to ride LM in the morning. Let you know how things are there later.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
damn i wish i had seen this yesterday. how was it? i'm thinking of riding there today if the report is favorable.

Mike679

I'm thinking Round Valley, starting from the Cushetunk lot and keeping away from the double track that goes by the Youth Center - that area will a mess.

Either that or riding the road (no road bike, though).

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Leaning towards the road at this point myself. Not looking like a breathtaking weekend for weather regardless.

D

DANSPANK

I'm looking to get out this weekend too. First outside ride in about 6 weeks so I'm looking forward to hearing which ride has the tackiest traction without it beeing swampingtons.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
????? high of 49 and 51, sounds pretty damn nice to me at this point. running in single digits each morning is really starting to suck

Overcast tomorrow and Sunday showers. If that's breathtaking I can't imagine what you call 70 and sunny.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I've been in Alla and KVSP this whole time and they're fine.I do wish the 29 had studs but really any issues I've had w/ ice spots Ikinda asked for(bad line, rider error, etc)Cranberry, Trade zone side gets a little wet if you don't ride early.............

ArmyOfNone

Lewis Morris was EXCELLENT. There were a few areas with some ice to be aware of but very few and far in between. Of course i found one of them and took a nice lil spill. But my ride would not have been complete without it.

I enjoyed the park a bunch. Nice and flowing. The climbing was fun, nothing to totally wipe you out though. I couldnt open it up to much just for fear of that one tree lurking in the darkness. HEHE

Cant wait to race there and really tear it up.

ArmyOfNone

O! so jeff and i were talking and thinking the Sourlands would be a sweet idea to ride tomorrow or sunday. any takers?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Lewis Morris was EXCELLENT. There were a few areas with some ice to be aware of but very few and far in between. Of course i found one of them and took a nice lil spill. But my ride would not have been complete without it.

I enjoyed the park a bunch. Nice and flowing. The climbing was fun, nothing to totally wipe you out though. I couldnt open it up to much just for fear of that one tree lurking in the darkness. HEHE

Soon as there's enough light and conditions are OK, I'm up for an after work ride at LM. I can easily be up there by 5PM. I'm coming from the Old Bridge/East Brunswick vicinity.

J-Dro

O! so jeff and i were talking and thinking the Sourlands would be a sweet idea to ride tomorrow or sunday. any takers?

Hold on, let me clarify. If you get out early Saturday morning, Sourlands will be great. Nice and frozen. If you wait til late morning, it will be a muddy mess. It's not supposed to freeze Saturday night, so Sunday will be muddy too.

J-Dro

LM was great today. About a half inch of snow on the trails, good traction. You just couldn't quite hammer as fast as you like, not knowing where the hidden ice spots were. There weren't many ice patches, but you didn't know it was ice until you were already on top of it.

Warning: It will be good conditions until the temps rise on Saturday. Then it will be a slimy mess.

We looked for the Jake Memorial Tree on PP, but no luck.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's

i saw a couple places where someone took a digger. nice work.

We looked for the Jake Memorial Tree on PP, but no luck.

as the story goes, i did not actually hit the tree but the roots of said tree. right norm? :D

J-Dro

Jake and I were in there today. It was getting goopy and slick. If you hit it before it warms up the trails are fine. I would not want to be in there at 50 degrees tomorrow though. Towards the end of our ride 2pm, it was getting to be pretty messy.

We probably just missed you guys. We finished up at around 11:30 and didn't see a soul on the trails. Good fun on the SS's.

Looks like Saturday 7-9am is the window of opportunity for this weekend.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
mahlon should be great tomorrow morning. i just stopped there and got 100yds down the trail before i realized my pedal was about to fall off. everything should be smooth and fast with a few little patches of mud or crusty earth. there is a layer of ice, but there is a very grippy, crusty layer of snow on top of it.

i'll be heading out in a few hours for an allamuchy night ride if anyone is up for it?

Top Bottom