Where the heck do i go....

ellbiddy

I'm trying to put together a nice loop at CR but I still get confused to all hell when I cross that rock bridge over the river/lake thing all i see is the yellow trail markers, going left turns into un-ridable terrain and I end up hiking with my bike...I tried to follow a gps log I found on here, but I ended up climbing 600 ft straight up a hill with my bike on my back before I got back on the trail :drooling:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:...trail/kml/episode.kml?episodePkValues=6910590
You could see that once I cross that river I travel perpendicular to those elevation lines any idea where I should be turning going at that point? Happened twice so far and it ruins the flow of the ride :(

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6910590

All that hiking brings down my average speed haha

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
You're on the right track, but I cannot suggest where to turn based on the GPS data. If you go on a group ride, you'll figure it out. You still didn't hit the massive climbing yet :D

ellbiddy

I went on a group ride once before hit a lot of the stuff I'm now searching for. It's that water crossing you can walk that connects the red trails to the yellow trails I get totally lost there hah end up doing a little hiking every time. Will keep a lookout for more groups riding CR so close to having a nice loop

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First I would say you don't really want to cross the rock bridge. Second, if you do, you sure as heck don't wnt to walk straight up the hill like that. You basically bang a hard right and climb, then a hard left and go up to the top there.

If you're an early riser we could try to do a group ride there in a few weeks. Maybe the weekend of 10/18-19?

ArmyOfNone

First I would say you don't really want to cross the rock bridge. Second, if you do, you sure as heck don't wnt to walk straight up the hill like that. You basically bang a hard right and climb, then a hard left and go up to the top there.

If you're an early riser we could try to do a group ride there in a few weeks. Maybe the weekend of 10/18-19?

Norm! There are two huge cross races that weekend!

ellbiddy

If you're not busy with cross I'm free from 5 am on

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't even own a cross bike. Fred is drunk on his CX victory. I may try to go and watch one of the days but right now my race fitness is draining away.

We'll plan something for one of the days. LMK if one works better than the other.

THATmanMANNY

You can cross the rock bridge over the small dam and make right and take that up or for me I prefer to go down the switchback descent (where there are numerous switchbacks) and go to the road where roadway bridge is. Then go right from there (over the roadway bridge) and take your first trail back in on the right (like 100 feet up)... go in and STAY LEFT and CLIMB! to top where there is a 4 way intersection... KEEP GOING STRAIGHT that will put you to another small lot where the quarry lookout is. Then maybe take a piss in the port-a-john if you feel like it. Then look for other yellow trail markers across the entrance of the small lot and continue riding the marked yellows and that is a NIIIIICEEE loop that will bring you back to the 4 way intersection. PHEW :drooling: Then do whatever the hell you please :D

We just toured that yellow trail on the ride you MISSED sat morn. :rolleyes:

EDIT: After all that I hope you find my specs hehe

Last edited:

ellbiddy

You can cross the rock bridge over the small dam and make right and take that up or for me I prefer to go down the switchback descent (where there are numerous switchbacks) and go to the road where roadway bridge is. Then go right from there (over the roadway bridge) and take your first trail back in on the right (like 100 feet up)... go in and STAY LEFT and CLIMB! to top where there is a 4 way intersection... KEEP GOING STRAIGHT that will put you to another small lot where the quarry lookout is. Then maybe take a piss in the port-a-john if you feel like it. Then look for other yellow trail markers across the entrance of the small lot and continue riding the marked yellows and that is a NIIIIICEEE loop that will bring you back to the 4 way intersection. PHEW :drooling: Then do whatever the hell you please :D

We just toured that yellow trail on the ride you MISSED sat morn. :rolleyes:

EDIT: After all that I hope you find my specs hehe

You can't knock me for missing saturday, I was there late, need I remind you what happened today!?

I like the directions it explains how you get to that path so far up the hill will give it a shot tomorrow. That climb to the quary was wat I've been looking for, we hit that on the group ride.

THATmanMANNY

Also....

so if you take that yellow (which is that good flowy loop that brings you back to 4 way intersection).... you can go back up that climb where I said STAY STRAIGHT... then climb a little but don't hit the lookout lot. Before that keep an eye out for a trail on the right (it was a covered with leaves so keep a keen eye). If you take that that will bring you down and back to the 4 way intersection via the trail that you haven't ventured into yet but you will be coming out of it back to the 4 way..... TAAA DAAAA

Purple Liquid

Shop Keep
That bridge...

..isn't the best. I've told the parks many times that it needs work, or at least fill in that one gap.

My suggestion, ride up Gilbride road, then take a right up Vosseller Ave, then another right onto Miller Lane. That will take you to the Hawk Watch.

But again, that is if you feel like riding up the road. Often I'd take the trail that runs parallel to Gilbride and end up at the Miller Lane lot.

I'm game for a group ride sometime soon. This is literally my backyard after all, so I'm more than willing to show people around :)

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
But again, that is if you feel like riding up the road. Often I'd take the trail that runs parallel to Gilbride and end up at the Miller Lane lot.

Where do you get on that trail? If you on Gilbride, and were coming from Chimney rock Road, you pass that rock hill climb on the right, stay on the road and go up the hill a little bit, then there is that rock trail on the right.. Is that the trail you're talking about? Ive never gone down that trail from Gilbride.
I usually ride the road like you were saying and hit all the trails then come out right there on Gilbride.
This side of the Rock is quickly becoming my favorite part.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
Where do you get on that trail? If you on Gilbride, and were coming from Chimney rock Road, you pass that rock hill climb on the right, stay on the road and go up the hill a little bit, then there is that rock trail on the right.. Is that the trail you're talking about? Ive never gone down that trail from Gilbride.
I usually ride the road like you were saying and hit all the trails then come out right there on Gilbride.

coming from chimney rock road, take first right after the (road) bridge that goes into the woods, follow that trail and head up the hill when it splits to the left.

Purple Liquid

Shop Keep

mhmm you got it. I don't look at the trail markings that often ;)

That is my favorite part of CR. You can get in some decent climbing and nice single track towards the top near the overlook. :D

ellbiddy

I'm down for some early morning rides 6:30ish works great, either that or any time on the weekends.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions