Where is the "new" trail?

danxtj

There was a trail built right before the first race of 2011 and I can't for the life of me remember where it is. I'm taking a buddy of mine there on Saturday and would like to be able to find it. I'm planning on riding the 2011 race loop with tombstone / rattlesnake / pines trail thrown in.

Cool, thanks! Wow I just noticed your total mileage. Bear scat training?

Last year's "training". Can't do it this year. The track above takes your through almost all the single track at Waway. It's good to follow except for one section which I was exploring and ran into some swampy hike-a-bike trying to go through Cedar Swamp. You want to stick to the Banker trail in that section.

The park or somebody closed up the "new" trail. I rode it two weeks ago, and then went to take some people there today and great effort had been expended to wipe it off the face of the earth.

The park or somebody closed up the "new" trail. I rode it two weeks ago, and then went to take some people there today and great effort had been expended to wipe it off the face of the earth.

The new trail past lake lookout is still there and appears to be actively maintained. The spots that were/are typically muddy have had small rock bridges built up recently. I hit this trail early today and it was in fantastic condition. Were you referring to a different trail?

I think the "new" trail could be the one that starts across from the entrance to Rhododendron on Cherry Ridge road, parallels the road, and ends at the entrance to Split Rock on Cherry Ridge road.

The new trail past lake lookout is still there and appears to be actively maintained. The spots that were/are typically muddy have had small rock bridges built up recently. I hit this trail early today and it was in fantastic condition. Were you referring to a different trail?

Yuppers, not the one from last year. Looked to be brand new when I rode it and now has been completely covered up. Shame, looked like someone put a lot of work into it. it started by Lake Lookout and ended near the double track that offshoots from the new trail from last year. Gone now anyway..

I can only assume it was rangers that covered it up. In which case, they may want to focus on the other new trail and close that too. You know, the 200' wide one that runs from Cannistear to Lake Lookover. Eh, if I had a couple billion in the bank I'm sure I could run a bulldozer through the park too..

i would like to see a 200 foot long boardwalk across the pipeline cut on the old coal trail. that is always a nasty snake infested little section that just sucks up everything that comes in contact with it. given all the other fencing and effort that went into their work, the pipeline folks could have banged that out in a few hours.

That section is a horror after heavy rains. Someone put some rocks in there so you can at least get across some of the worst sections, but even that won't help when it really gets swamped.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions