What nuance of red should have @Pearl paint his 2014 EM SS to get $1500 for it? Let’s debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait, it's really only $250? wtf!?
im about to draw up a new gravel bike lol

Last edited:
do it.gif

I don’t like the color scheme. I contacted the seller to better asses the type of damage. If I were to get it I would paint it all white I think, maximum camouflage with my steel frame. Finger crossed.

update: The seller was very prompt to reply with additional pictures, unfortunately one of the close ups of the chain stays shows the beginning of a crack. It also looks like he tried to smoothen up the scratches and went a little too far. Pity.

There’s another one available for twice the price though...

Last edited:
Ouch! @Mitch 's bike is actually one of the reason I became a (peasant) el mariachi owner. Is it getting fixed @Mitch ?
Ouch is right. I've had this bike since 2011 and up until Saturday it was the only bike I owned that I never broke. I've been searching for another one as a backup for years but never really found the right one. I was going to post about it hear but didn't want to hijack the thread so I backed off.
This bike was built by Lynsky for Salsa so I'm going to reach out to them 1st and then go from there. If they can repair it and the price is reasonable then thats how I'll proceed. If not then I will seek out a local Ti builder and go from there. I figured Bilinky is a good 2nd choice. If anyone here has any suggestions I'm open or has a Salsa large Ti frame for sale let me know please.
I was texting Matty about the Vassago and the deal they are running is great but then I will need all new Boost wheels and Fork and stuff so thats a big expense I'd like to avoid right now.
The best news is that on Thursday I finally ordered a dropper post for this bike from Wiggle thats a 27.2 and coming this week. Murphys Law at it's best.

I don’t like the color scheme. I contacted the seller to better asses the type of damage. If I were to get it I would paint it all white I think, maximum camouflage with my steel frame. Finger crossed.

update: The seller was very prompt to reply with additional pictures, unfortunately one of the close ups of the chain stays shows the beginning of a crack. It also looks like he tried to smoothen up the scratches and went a little too far. Pity.

There’s another one available for twice the price though...
Can you post link for these 2? I'm not very internet savvy.

Some advise for @Mitch, as well as anyone else considering Bilenky as an option for frame repair. Request what the realistic time frame for how long it will take to repair. Ask me how I know.
I got an instant email return that said yeah we can fix that, my follow up questions (same day) 4 months later have still not been answered. Thats all I needed to decide. I passed the frame on to someone here and started a new. @Mitch You should of just pulled the trigger on that vassago, your at the age of the finer things of life :)
If you want meet up and swing a leg over mine for a day your more then welcome.

Can you post link for these 2? I'm not very internet savvy.
Hi @Mitch , both frames are posted on a Facebook group that requires you to request membership and being approved. It usually takes a few days but I guess it depends on the moderators. I’ll check if there’s any way to get around that and post a link.

The one mentioned by @extremesave was ‘cheap’ at $1050+shipping (you maybe able to shave some of the price off) but shows the beginning of a crack on the seatstay, right where these frames tend to crack, so you would still have to get it welded.

The other may have sold already because I couldn’t find it.

posting from my phone, let me grab a computer and see what I can find.

Last edited:
I got an instant email return that said yeah we can fix that, my follow up questions (same day) 4 months later have still not been answered. Thats all I needed to decide. I passed the frame on to someone here and started a new. @Mitch You should of just pulled the trigger on that vassago, your at the age of the finer things of life :)
If you want meet up and swing a leg over mine for a day your more then welcome.
@Mitch if I were after a titanium frame I think the vassago would be a better option considering it’s a new frame and with newer geometry. Not ideal but you can convert the wheels to boost for cheap and upgrade later. Me, I’m a peasant so I was attracted by Ti just because of the huge drop in price, still twice what I’m willing to pay and turns out the frame is cracked...I’ll stick to cracked steel!

p.s. you can hijack my threads whenever you want, it’s called contributing knowledge!

@serviceguy , wow, thanks for all the input. That last one looks great but I don't need a whole bike. For that price I would do the Vasaggo and buy new wheels already.
And not spending 1000 on a damaged or even undamaged frame. Would go new as well.
So options are to see what Lynsky says, find another Ti welder other then Bilinky as per @JDurk or drop the cash on a Vassago or similar.
@mattybfat what size you get? I see the Large has a TT like 25.8? My usual TT and Salsa are 24.3. That's a long TT but then again I'm not up on the new Geo going on. Anyone intrested in a new 27.2 brand new dropper post? :*)

I did not find any way to share the post with the $1050 cracked frame and the $2200 one has been taken down.

This is the seatstay in question...
View attachment 144376

I did find this on craiglist but as always the label 'buyer beware' applies...

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bik/d/goodyear-salsa-el-mariachi-titanium-ss/7238070922.html

And @Mitch about the frame cracking after you bought a dropper post for it...maybe the universe is trying to tell you something?

Ouch, I think the guy undersold that dent.

@serviceguy , wow, thanks for all the input. That last one looks great but I don't need a whole bike. For that price I would do the Vasaggo and buy new wheels already.
And not spending 1000 on a damaged or even undamaged frame. Would go new as well.
So options are to see what Lynsky says, find another Ti welder other then Bilinky as per @JDurk or drop the cash on a Vassago or similar.
@mattybfat what size you get? I see the Large has a TT like 25.8? My usual TT and Salsa are 24.3. That's a long TT but then again I'm not up on the new Geo going on. Anyone intrested in a new 27.2 brand new dropper post? :*)
El Mariachis have gone way up in price during the last few months. A used Ti frame can get as much as brand new Timberjack Ti frame. I get it's a classic but it doesn't make much sense. A steel framed bike with outdated components can fetch $1500, also nonsense. But that is the market.

Because of that this thread is mostly an exercise in futility, but so is the 99% of the internet so I'll keep it going, who knows...

@Mitch I've been shopping frames, a fair number of the current designs offer a variety of dropouts. A lot of them are going to be longer/lower/slacker though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom