What nuance of red should have @Pearl paint his 2014 EM SS to get $1500 for it? Let’s debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you ever remove the SS cog from the hub? What is the correct size lockring wrench to use?

Nope. I don't think I even road around the parking lot with the stock wheels. I came home and stripped the bike down and built it up with all the parts of my other hardtail. I've only re-used the frame & seat clamp and headset.

Rigid fork, is this 1995?

I did. In full disclosure, I did ask if anyone else was talking to him about it as I didn't want to snag this if you were really thinking about it. I'm swapping everything over from my '13. I'll keep you posted on the fork as I have an Enve that I may keep or sell. I have to measure each to see which I would like more.
Do you mind sharing the direction your new project is heading? Are you keeping 29” or experimenting with 27.5”+ ? Any other specific setup you’ve been plotting for this frame? Intrigued minds want to know...

Do you mind sharing the direction your new project is heading? Are you keeping 29” or experimenting with 27.5”+ ? Any other specific setup you’ve been plotting for this frame? Intrigued minds want to know...

First and foremost, thank you for posting this up as I would have never looked on Pinkbike. That being said, I didn't want to pour salt on an already potentially open wound, but here is the lowdown.

I swapped everything from my '13 El Mariachi to this one including my Enve carbon fork. Running 29" 2.35 on the back and 3.0 on the front.

The carbon Salsa Firestarted that came with the frame is in perfect shape. I can't find a blemish on it. The frame in itself has only two tiny little blemishes and looks to have been ridden less than 10 miles.

To show that this is a small world, I ended up riding at Stewarts State Park on Sunday with some friends. One invited a guy he literally met the day before at a BBQ. This "new" guy coincidentally just moved from MA to NJ. When asked where, he said Worcester area. I then mentioned that I just bought an El Mariachi from a guy that lives up there. He knows the guy and knows the bike. This frame was a warranty replacement and had only been ridden once or twice. Crazy small world.

1591817475586.png
1591817551419.png

1591817674453.png

First and foremost, thank you for posting this up as I would have never looked on Pinkbike. That being said, I didn't want to pour salt on an already potentially open wound, but here is the lowdown.

I swapped everything from my '13 El Mariachi to this one including my Enve carbon fork. Running 29" 2.35 on the back and 3.0 on the front.

The carbon Salsa Firestarted that came with the frame is in perfect shape. I can't find a blemish on it. The frame in itself has only two tiny little blemishes and looks to have been ridden less than 10 miles.

To show that this is a small world, I ended up riding at Stewarts State Park on Sunday with some friends. One invited a guy he literally met the day before at a BBQ. This "new" guy coincidentally just moved from MA to NJ. When asked where, he said Worcester area. I then mentioned that I just bought an El Mariachi from a guy that lives up there. He knows the guy and knows the bike. This frame was a warranty replacement and had only been ridden once or twice. Crazy small world.

View attachment 131315 View attachment 131316

View attachment 131317

It does hurt a little...J/K I just want it even more now!

Ironically I have a SS frame that I adapted to geared and you have a geared frame used as SS...go figure!

Glad somehow I helped you get what you wanted, the question is...did you know that you wanted before my post though? I'll wave my customary inspirational fee just for you on this one...

Is that a fat tire you have up front?

Let me know what kind of money you want for the fork if you intend to sell it (and remember that I waved the inspirational fee earlier).

Black sidewalls doe
Thanks, but no thanks. The tan sidewall fade came and went already in the '90s (I still have an almost perfect set of Dart/Smoke from back then).

It does hurt a little...J/K I just want it even more now!

Ironically I have a SS frame that I adapted to geared and you have a geared frame used as SS...go figure!

Glad somehow I helped you get what you wanted, the question is...did you know that you wanted before my post though? I'll wave my customary inspirational fee just for you on this one...

Is that a fat tire you have up front?

Let me know what kind of money you want for the fork if you intend to sell it (and remember that I waved the inspirational fee earlier).

Thanks, but no thanks. The tan sidewall fade came and went already in the '90s (I still have an almost perfect set of Dart/Smoke from back then).
It was a joke, I’m not cool enough to run them anyways

View attachment 131317
Nice looking bike.

So your running 29er in the back and 27,5+ in the front?

Should it be reversed? 29er on the front from rollover and 27.5 in back for traction?

View attachment 131317
Proper SS

Nice looking bike.

So your running 29er in the back and 27,5+ in the front?

Should it be reversed? 29er on the front from rollover and 27.5 in back for traction?
If I read correctly it’s a Maxxis Chrinicle, 29x3.0 so the front has a bigger rolling diameter, the universe balance is still intact (kind of).

Yep, that's the main group that I am monitoring.

As opposed to monitoring, I recommend that you do an ISO post for what you are looking for. I was able to locate a Large, Alloy Bucksaw for a friend within a day. He had it shipped out from South Dakota, but it was very reasonable priced. There were a number of people who offered up their bikes that hadn't appeared in my previous searches.

When your obsession with this Great White (red) Whale starts to keep you up at night, you can search Craigslist in randomly spaced cities. I was able to locate another Large Bucksaw in Tulsa, Oklahoma that was priced better, but was also ridden pretty hard.

Good Luck!

As opposed to monitoring, I recommend that you do an ISO post for what you are looking for. I was able to locate a Large, Alloy Bucksaw for a friend within a day. He had it shipped out from South Dakota, but it was very reasonable priced. There were a number of people who offered up their bikes that hadn't appeared in my previous searches.

When your obsession with this Great White (red) Whale starts to keep you up at night, you can search Craigslist in randomly spaced cities. I was able to locate another Large Bucksaw in Tulsa, Oklahoma that was priced better, but was also ridden pretty hard.

Good Luck!

The reason why I haven't done that is that in the recent past I tried and post an ISO for a rack to go on my white El Mar. I received like a gazillion of requests to buy the bike instead, none to sell me a rack. All because I made the silly mistake of including a picture of the bike the rack was supposed to fit. I initially replied to the requests saying that I wasn't selling the bike, which prompted low ball offers for some weird reason...I doubt that posting an ISO for 19" 2016 red Salsa El Mariachi geared frame without the relevant picture would attract any attention other than, again, requests to sell...I may try it for kick, who knows, it may even work!

100% correct. 29 x 2.35 in the rear and 29 x 3.0 upfront. The extra cushion upfront helps with the local rocks.
But I meant Chronicle...100% on the extra cushion, that's why I am building a set of 27.5" i35 Stan's Baron wheels and planning on 2.8 Rekons to go on the white bike (or the red one if I ever find one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom