What nuance of red should have @Pearl paint his 2014 EM SS to get $1500 for it? Let’s debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

serviceguy

I’ll take the white one back
I thought you already had the perfect setup....the reason for even looking for a geared frame is to build the white one back as a SS...I think the white one build is pretty clean but the fact that I had to put stick on cable tabs bothers me a little. And the 2016 red frame is sexy as hell. On top of that, I can't let go of anything as you could guess if you glimpsed in my garage and garage attic...it's a disease.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, not me. I spoke to him about the fork (it’s the same as the one I have on my El Mar, I can’ help but always buying backups), but I guess that ship has sailed already. Did you buy it @Reggie ?

I did. In full disclosure, I did ask if anyone else was talking to him about it as I didn't want to snag this if you were really thinking about it. I'm swapping everything over from my '13. I'll keep you posted on the fork as I have an Enve that I may keep or sell. I have to measure each to see which I would like more.

serviceguy

I did. In full disclosure, I did ask if anyone else was talking to him about it as I didn't want to snag this if you were really thinking about it. I'm swapping everything over from my '13. I'll keep you posted on the fork as I have an Enve that I may keep or sell. I have to measure each to see which I would like more.
I had no dibs on the fork, he wanted to sell it as a bundle and would have let me know if he was going to separate the fork from the frame in case he didn’t get any interest into the bundle. It’s a beautiful frame and makes for a nice build, not sure if you paid the full price but it was a good deal in my opinion...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Might want enve - i'm still wanting it from last time it came up - and if you didn't break it, it ain't never going to break ;)

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't know if they're junk...

But the red hubs that Salsa put on those bikes, they're the nicest anodized hubs I've ever seen. If you find the red frame, you should also hunt down those red hubs and the red quick release.

They did Orange too on some years, that's what mine came with. Just as nice looking.

serviceguy

I don't know if they're junk...

But the red hubs that Salsa put on those bikes, they're the nicest anodized hubs I've ever seen. If you find the red frame, you should also hunt down those red hubs and the red quick release.

They did Orange too on some years, that's what mine came with. Just as nice looking.

Good call. I actually have the whole SS setup including the wheels with the red hubs ans QR. For some weird reason it bothers me that the rear is not TA, I've even looked into converting the rear hub to TA but as the Salsa tech put it that's a one trick pony, so not going to happen.

In mildly related issue, the white bike is going to be a 27.5+ soon...

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good call. I actually have the whole SS setup including the wheels with the red hubs ans QR. For some weird reason it bothers me that the rear is not TA, I've even looked into converting the rear hub to TA but as the Salsa tech put it that's a one trick pony, so not going to happen.

In mildly related issue, the white bike is going to be a 27.5+ soon...

Is there an actual reason you want through-axle as opposed to QR? It's a short-chainstay steel rear. I personally don't notice any issues in the back with lack of stiffness. I did bolt on rear hub for awhile, converted to Quick-Release for tool-free ease. I rather prefer it to through-axle as I don't have to have a 3rd removable part when changing tires on the trail.

serviceguy

Is there an actual reason you want through-axle as opposed to QR? It's a short-chainstay steel rear. I personally don't notice any issues in the back with lack of stiffness. I did bolt on rear hub for awhile, converted to Quick-Release for tool-free ease. I rather prefer it to through-axle as I don't have to have a 3rd removable part when changing tires on the trail.
No valid reason, I prefer the clean look of the TA.

QR is actually easier to manage especially in the back when you need to put the wheel back on. It really comes down to some form of OCD, it bothers me to have one retaining system up front and a different one in the back. I may convert the front to...no, no, no!

One thing that bothers me though about quick release (at least some of them) is that the horizontal contact point with the frame is a threaded surface and the vertical one is serrated to prevent slippage (?)...but that's really too deep into my mind dungeon...
KCocb10.jpg

Oh,and now I think I may have to go after the stock white fork too...

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

:)

serviceguy

:)

I thought it would be more expensive...oh no, here we go...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom