Where can you (mostly legally) ride on the beach?

one piece crank

Question - how bad is the sand with regard to chain lube and associated drive line wear? I've alwasy avoided riding in the sandy stuff, but with big fat tires I'm now intrigued...

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Question - how bad is the sand with regard to chain lube and associated drive line wear? I've alwasy avoided riding in the sandy stuff, but with big fat tires I'm now intrigued...
It's probably the worst of the elements that can get in your drivetrain, but it's inevitable if you ride it those conditions. I wouldn't specifically avoid it. I've been using Rock N Roll Extreme, and now Gold for a while. It leaves a waxy coating, which is great for repelling a ton of stuff rather than some other lubes that hold onto it. Either way, just wipe down your chain after every ride to get any chunks off and ready for your next ride.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
It's probably the worst of the elements that can get in your drivetrain, but it's inevitable if you ride it those conditions. I wouldn't specifically avoid it. I've been using Rock N Roll Extreme, and now Gold for a while. It leaves a waxy coating, which is great for repelling a ton of stuff rather than some other lubes that hold onto it. Either way, just wipe down your chain after every ride to get any chunks off and ready for your next ride.

Yes. Dry lube. Applied the night before so it is bone dry.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Figured the dirt trails would be soggy today with all the rain, so I did a spin from Long Branch to Sea Bright and back. Nothing but smiles and thumbs up from the local beachcombers and surfers.
6ADA442A-AC33-494E-8388-74DFF8AD6F12.jpeg

one piece crank

Thanks for the lube pointers. Sand has always been an BIG avoidance for me, but I spend a lot of time at IBSP and I'm itching to hit it with my fat bike.

FitmanNJ

Today I did the same loop as @icebiker, only I started from the Sea Bright public lot. I saw a Sea Bright policeman as I was getting ready to ride, so I asked him about how the police department views beach riding. He reassured me that it's fine, and went on to say that the Long Branch P.D. sees things the same way. He was real friendly, asking, "You have one of those cool fat-tired bikes?" I meant to confirm that we're talking about "off-season" riding (which is undoubtedly the case), but I didn't specifically ask about that.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Today I did the same loop as @icebiker, I meant to confirm that we're talking about "off-season" riding (which is undoubtedly the case), but I didn't specifically ask about that.

I spoke with The good folks at the Peddler in Long Branch that day. They said that there is no law on the books against riding at any time of year, however during the summer months the lifeguards (not the police) have the authority to boot you (or anyone for that matter) off the beach If they feel there is a danger to the beach goers. Before or after the lifeguards are on duty, riding the beach is technically possible. However it’s wise to simply avoid any crowded beach situation and I’d recommend just going before May or after Sep. the other thing I’m told is that in some towns where there are residences along the shore, it’s best to stay close to the water line as homeowners sometimes assume their property extends further than it actually does.

goodvibe

Sandy Hook is nice after a good day of doing Hartshorne and Huber. I have been kicked off twice out of dozens of times. 99.9% of the beach users are cool and cordial, but I did run into a jackhole recently who wanted to berate me for following the rules and he was yelling at me all the way down the beach.

thegock

Sandy Hook is nice after a good day of doing Hartshorne and Huber. I have been kicked off twice out of dozens of times. 99.9% of the beach users are cool and cordial, but I did run into a jackhole recently who wanted to berate me for following the rules and he was yelling at me all the way down the beach.

How did he escape the Wachtung Res-er-va-tion?

Top Bottom