Where can I learn maint and upgrade skills

Zudnik

I'm in my 50s and have limited skills with working on bikes. My new Cube 160 will be here in about a week and I need to learn how to check things over, do the finishing touches of assembly etc but I also want to learn how to do things like upgrade hydraulic brakes, replace shifters, derailers and even just replace/adjust cables and other adjustments. Youtube is great with some stuff but I also find it gets in me in over my head at times. Do shops ever put on classes or anything like that?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve seen some maintenance clinics pop up here and there, but YouTube is honestly the best for on demand help. A lot of stuff just takes the experience of doing it a couple times.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Marty’s used to do a Park Tool School class, but that was in the before times. No idear what will happen in the AC (After Covid) times.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, classes do happen occasionally... When we don't have Covid, however I find YouTube videos helpful, as long as you find a good one.
Something like knowing how to bleed your own brakes or replace a chain is simple enough and good to learn as it is required somewhat regularly.
I like this video on bleeding Shimano brakes.

skully

Another good resource is a few good books , I have both the park tools" big blue book of bicycle repair ' and "zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance " ....both are loaded with great info and very easy to understand...I refer to them all the time ....also another great resource is park tools web site ...they have a great how section full of great videos!!

Mr.Moto

Congrats on the new bike. To start, I think you should have at least the tools necessary to work on the bike. You can probably get most of the basics done with a multi-tool which you should have with you while riding anyway. But if you really are going to do some of the things you mention, you will eventually need additional tools. There are numerous bike tool kits available that have a variety of tools that will be needed if you want want to jump in that way. Others have noted places that provide basic bike maintenance classes. REI did as well, but classes have been cancelled due to the COVID situation. It seems many of the classes dealt with basic maintenance, flat tire repair, etc. Some got more in depth.

You can probably break down the learning into assembly and basic adjustments, then maintenance and later parts replacement.

I am guessing that the bike will come mostly assembled but you will need to assemble the cockpit, wheels and pedals. There are plenty of videos online that you can watch like this one:

You'll then need to make cockpit adjustments, possibly adjust brake alignment and maybe shifting if they didn't get that perfect. Each can be found online as well. I want to mention that proper torque is important. You don't want to have something coming loose while your riding or break if over tightened. This is especially true if you have any carbon bits like handlebar or seatpost.

It's a progression so read, watch some videos and check back here for help. Things like indexing a derailleur and brake bleeds can be challenging for someone new to bike maintenance, but can be done.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In addition to the above, being patient is kind of priceless here. None of this stuff is rocket science but if you only have 1 chance to do something every 6-12 months, it’s not going to be second nature.

YouTube has all the answers save for when it doesn’t. In those cases it’s tempting to reach for the sledgehammer but I advise against it. Do you have kids? If so you’ll know the feeling.

Zudnik

Got the bike together even though there were no torque specs or directions/manuals in the box. Guess that's what I get for buying online but there aren't many options during Rona days. I'll find torque specs for the stem and headset. Rest seems relatively ok but the Magura MT7 brakes seem a little finicky. Looks like I'll be spending the rainy days watching youtube lol. Sorry yeah I know it's electric, but given my options it's this or sitting on the couch waiting for the ultimate dirt nap. That said, if you ever see me on the trails and want to try electric, please say hi and take it for a spin.

Attachments

• 00 Cube.jpg
    00 Cube.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 104

Mr.Moto

Got the bike together even though there were no torque specs or directions/manuals in the box. Guess that's what I get for buying online but there aren't many options during Rona days. I'll find torque specs for the stem and headset. Rest seems relatively ok but the Magura MT7 brakes seem a little finicky. Looks like I'll be spending the rainy days watching youtube lol. Sorry yeah I know it's electric, but given my options it's this or sitting on the couch waiting for the ultimate dirt nap. That said, if you ever see me on the trails and want to try electric, please say hi and take it for a spin.

Your fork is set up backwards. You need to turn it around. Definitely turn the fork around before you take it for a ride.

Last edited:

Zudnik

Your fork is set up backwards. You need to turn it around. Definitely turn the fork around before you take it for a ride.
Oh man. Thanks so much. Switched that around and rode up and down the street a little bit and bed in the brakes. Brakes seem better, prob just some little tweaks. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_081957.jpg
    IMG_20200814_081957.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom