When does VT typically get too cold to camp?

Molasses

Looking to get to KT one more time- thinking mid October. Also thinking that it'll be too cold to camp comfortably. Any experience out there?

Isn't this like asking when is it too cold to bike? Everyone has a different tolerance.

Isn't this like asking when is it too cold to bike? Everyone has a different tolerance.

I was thinking this too...what's "comfortable"?

I've lived in VT/ME for 4 years...every fall was different. Twice we had 12" snow by halloween. Other times, nada until December. Did you check the farmer's almanac for the forecast? ;)

It may be ski season come October ( hoping). You may want to go a little earlier like Sep.

As long as you have a good quality sleeping bag, any time is a good time to camp. Just look at the guys camping out on Everest climbs. The tent makes a good wind breaker in addition to the bag. I, myself, wouldn't go camping in snow though but anything down to 40-50 degrees is still fair game.

Don't know whether this helps or not but we were near the Rutland area 2 weeks ago and it was typically 45-50 degress when we started riding in the morning. Around 9 AM. Some trees already showing a little color.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

Looking to get to KT one more time- thinking mid October. Also thinking that it'll be too cold to camp comfortably. Any experience out there?

Assume that it will be in the low to mid 30's at night (maybe even freezing), low 40's as a best-case scenario. Now ask yourself if you're down with this or not.

stay at the Kingdom Farm. I stayed there last time I was up there. Its $40 a night if you hostel style. Might get lucky and get a room to yourself. Tell Jessie that Todd says HI. I so want to get back up there myself but had a bad crash and don't thing I`ll be right by the end of the season.

Heading to Kingdom trails for 3 days this weekend, camping in a lean to, I'll report Tempe but expecting 50ish during the day and down to 30/40 at night

I hope to head up there next weekend and rent a condo, anyone else going to be up there?.

Thinking about going on first weekend of November. Not camping but do you think trails might be snow covered? That's what I'm worried about. I don't mind riding in the cold

They close the trail system at Kingdom for the month of November.

Ray,

You should call up there and ask about riding in nov, if there is no snow, they probably won't care. You could also ride, millstone hills, in barre. That place is awesome! You could also check out green mountain trails in Pittsfield, very sweet rides. I know you love the technical stuff, I've never ridden the Burke side of kingdom trails, so I'm not familiar with it, but the other side is not very technical. Perry hills in Waterbury, has some great stuff with more technical riding than the other places I've mentioned.
That area doesn't usually have significant snow cover in early nov.

I am up in Bangor, ME now and the weather is or had been no different other then they have had a good rain season unlike NJ

Just got back yesterday. Kingdom trails are amazing the group I was with rode most of the darling hill side over two days.

As for camping I would say it was too cold, dropped down to ~25 at night, and I got sick.

The temp while riding was great, trails were in amazing shape

Back
Top Bottom