When do you replace chainrings(SRAM Eagle)? What interval?

bergsnj

I just swapped out my cassette and chain with new ones. The old cassette had about 2500 miles on it and the chain had about 1500 miles on it. I did not change the chainring which has 2500 miles on it. Its the 30T X01 chainring if that makes a difference. I did clean it so that no old debris gets in the new chain. But now I'm wondering if I should throw on a new chainring too.

jackx

I just swapped out my cassette and chain with new ones. The old cassette had about 2500 miles on it and the chain had about 1500 miles on it. I did not change the chainring which has 2500 miles on it. Its the 30T X01 chainring if that makes a difference. I did clean it so that no old debris gets in the new chain. But now I'm wondering if I should throw on a new chainring too.
sounds like it may be a good idea to replace the chainring so that everything is new (sept the derailleur pulleys).

But you'll probably know if the old chainring starts slipping with the new chain.

1,500 seems like a lot of miles for a MTB chain, but my experience was with a 2X10, so maybe I did a lot more cross-chaining maybe.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have 2500ish miles on my eagle chainring and havent had any problems, change it when it needs it (I also havent worn out the cassette in that time either, but im pretty OCD about chainwear)

bergsnj

sounds like it may be a good idea to replace the chainring so that everything is new (sept the derailleur pulleys).

But you'll probably know if the old chainring starts slipping with the new chain.

1,500 seems like a lot of miles for a MTB chain, but my experience was with a 2X10, so maybe I did a lot more cross-chaining maybe.
I try to keep the chain really clean and lubed all the time. It was really stretched, pretty amazing when i lined it up next to the new chain.

Santa

I never pay attention till it’s too late and I replace everything. But also never have any issues even when chain is too worn as long as I don’t switch cassette or rings. Don’t pay attention and just replace everything in the winter is my philosophy!!!

mfennell

you need one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Bikehand-B...=1593171847&sprefix=chain+meas,aps,159&sr=8-4

Despite using that tool and replacing the chain as required, I only got about 2500 miles out of an XX1 ring. Pretty underwhelming. Cassette is still fine.

I've never replaced a shimano chainring. I have 14k+ Strava miles on the bike I now use for Zwift and I owned it for 8 years before that so probably 25k miles on the original Ultegra chainring and 9sp cassette.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
you need one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Bikehand-Bicycle-Chain-Indicator-checker/dp/B00811WQW0/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1ZMA1EVUNRLVT&dchild=1&keywords=chain+measuring+tool&qid=1593171847&sprefix=chain+meas,aps,159&sr=8-4

Despite using that tool and replacing the chain as required, I only got about 2500 miles out of an XX1 ring. Pretty underwhelming. Cassette is still fine.

I've never replaced a shimano chainring. I have 14k+ Strava miles on the bike I now use for Zwift and I owned it for 8 years before that so probably 25k miles on the original Ultegra chainring and 9sp cassette.

Just a note, per park tool product manual 11 and 12 speed chains should be replace at .5 on the chain wear gauge.....

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
you need one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/Bikehand-Bicycle-Chain-Indicator-checker/dp/B00811WQW0/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1ZMA1EVUNRLVT&dchild=1&keywords=chain+measuring+tool&qid=1593171847&sprefix=chain+meas,aps,159&sr=8-4

FWIW, 2500 miles is pretty good for the modern systems with large ranges. The turning point seemed to 11 spd, where I found chains needs to be replaced around 700 miles and probably need to replace the chainring every 3 chain. I think 10 spd was the pinnacle of chain / cassette / chainring wear, it is just the gear ranges werent there, yet.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
idk about that, but either way im just sharing what the park tool paperwork says,

also interesting to note that all of my x01 eagle chains the park tool gauge(cc-2) doesnt even fit in when new, they need to wear before it can be used.

whoops, look like i added an extra 0 in there, i see it now :O my bad.

Last edited:

Dingo

Just a note, per park tool product manual 11 and 12 speed chains should be replace at .5 on the chain wear gauge.....
So the brand new 11-speed XTR chain that measures .5 with the Park CC-2 is no good right out of the box?

Over the years, I've measured new shimano chains, some are too tight to measure but most are around .25 .

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Dingo

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know your not making this shit up.. But it is a bunch of shit that new top of the line chains measure worn out.

i agree, that would be a bunch of shit, i havent had it happen to me tho, so i cannot say how common it is, maybe you got a defective chain? (who woulda thought that could happen)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Theory. A slightly out of spec chain will work better on a slightly worn drivetrains.

Dingo

Theory. A slightly out of spec chain will work better on a slightly worn drivetrains.
Nothing like a matched set of new worn out top of the line shimano ?

friggin ridiculous, but it is what it is:shrug: Gonna wait until the old chain is .7ish and then pop on the new .5

Top Bottom