Wheelset recommendations

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
My birthday is coming 5 months early this year and my present is a new wheelset. So far my top pick is a set of Stans ZTR 355 with Hope Pro IIs, but other hubs I'm considering are American Classics, Sin Ringle Dirty Fleas, DT 240s and WTB Laser Disc Lites. I'm also somewhat considering DT Swiss 4.2d and ZTR Olympic 347 rims, and even the FSA XC-300 wheelset, which I've seen for as low as $170(!).

So I'm curious what recomendations people have. I'm down to 140 lbs and this would be for trail riding (no real drops, just aggresive terrain) as well as racing 8-12 times a year. My only standards are tubeless-ready (or tubeless compatible without issues) and light weight -- under 1600g. Oh, and no Industry 9, Hadley or Chris King -- this has to remain under 600 beans. Thanks!

M

mtbjeff

I have 2 trouble free years on my ZTR rims with American Classic hubs. Super light weight and flawless performance . I have used them on both my bikes, racing and free riding Ringwood and Skyline Drive.They were built By Jeff @ Campmor.

Nimrod

Going on my third year with the Bontranger Race Discs.

You would be hard pressed to find a better set of wheels at the price these go for.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i can speak for the Laser Disc Lite hubs. i'm riding the WTB speed disc AM rim with Laser Disc Lite hubs (29er) and i have had zero problems. took the wheels out of the build kit box, put them on the bike, rode them for about a year, and just had the wheels trued for the first time... after many trips to the sourlands and CR... i'd buy 'em again, but i think the rims are heavier in the overall scheme of things...

lou_b_83

The Hope Pro II hubs are good but very loud. The DT Swiss are just as good, not to loud, just not so colorful.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Jeff - Are your ZTRs the 355s? Jeff at campmor will be building mine as well. The AC hubs are super light but I'm fearful the price may be 700 or more.

Nimrod - What do your wheels weigh? I'm seeing as much as 2000 grams online which would be too heavy for what I'm looking for.

Clarkenstein - Yep, I've head good things about the Laser Disc Lites, and I think they're less $$$ than the others while still being light. Definite contender.

Lou - I know, I'm not sure if I'm ready for such a loud hub, especially since I bike alone a bit and love the peace and quiet of being out there in the early morning. Qustion about the 240 hubs -- isn't the engagement a bit slower? Less pawls or whatever? And they're more $$$ than the Hopes.

lou_b_83

One of the guys I ride with has the Hopes and they drive me CRAZY!:getsome:

The extra money is worth the noise reduction in my books. I have the 240 hubs and they are very smooth and hook up very well. I have not ever had the pleaser/pain:mad: of having the Hopes on my bike so I can't say one is better then the other.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Since Geoff at Campmor will be building and maintaining them, perhaps ask his opnion as well. I'm sure he knows a lot about reliability, being that he fixes them all the time.

M

mtbjeff

Mine are ZTR Olympic, past that I don't know. I can't get out to the bike to look right now. Pixie is right, Jeff at Campmor is very knowledgable and easy to talk to. He won't steer you wrong.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Since Geoff at Campmor will be building and maintaining them, perhaps ask his opnion as well. I'm sure he knows a lot about reliability, being that he fixes them all the time.

Yep, most of my picks I got from him! But I was wondering what personal experiences people had with their wheels. Also I know nothing about certain brands -- Specialized, Easton, Ringle and others. I'm sure a lot of you have Mavic sets, but the SLRs are a bit pricey and the 819s are kinda heavy.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
At 120 lbs I have never had a problem with any of mavic, easton and AC hubs or wheels. Mr pixy could not keep the lightweight easton's true, but had no problem with the all mountains.... and destroyed many mavic hubs. The mavics seem to be a little high maintenance or something, not sure.

I'm not sure what famous biker said it ..... "Strong , Light , Cheap = pick any two"

Top Bottom