Wheelbase and Head Angle

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
If you were to use an angle adjustable headset and increase the HA by 1° then would the bike's wheelbase decrease? By how much?

this-much-quite.gif

1deg of arc with a 36" arm (assumes a 29r with about 5 inches of travel)
give or take of course.

36*Pi/360 = 3.14/10 = 1/3"

Yes what Patrick said and also seat angle slightly steeper , bb slightly lower . Reach is a wash I believe because lowering the front increases it but the angle and sometimes added stack shortens it . Somewhere on the internet there's a calculator that gives you all the info by plugging in your stock geometry then changing head angle , fork length etc it calculates what new geometry numbers would be

If you were to use an angle adjustable headset and increase the HA by 1° then would the bike's wheelbase decrease? By how much?
This should keep you busy for a while.

The solution here is simple. Like Henry Rollins says, don't think about it, do it. Its an easy adjustment. Measure your bike before, install the angleset (or reduce fork travel), ride BEFORE you measure the new setup so you don't have bias. If it feels good keep it.

The solution here is simple. Like Henry Rollins says, don't think about it, do it. Its an easy adjustment. Measure your bike before, install the angleset (or reduce fork travel), ride BEFORE you measure the new setup so you don't have bias. If it feels good keep it.
It’s not so simple. I’m looking at swapping my Orbea Occam frame with a new Transition Sentinel frame. I would like to make the Sentinel less enduro and more trail friendly. Also comparing geo numbers between M and L on both bikes. Ultimately I know I should demo a Transition in size medium and large. This will have to wait until Spring because I’m injured right now but lead times on 2022 frames are +6 months. Do I wait or do I run the numbers and pull the trigger on what I think will be my ideal setup? Plus, I will need to sell the Orbea to fund the Transition. Don’t want to be without a trail bike for too long. How long is too long? Will I hate the new bike? ? ? ?

This is what happens with too much free time. 😕

Back
Top Bottom