wheel questions

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm thinking about upgrading my wheelset to something a little lighter/stiffer/more sexier. my questions are these:

1. couple brands to look at? i'm assuming mavic and a quick google would supply other top names but i'm looking for real personal experiences.
2. is it even worth doing this? i figure for even a 1/2 way decent set of wheels i'm going to be in the $600-$800 range. now, don't get me wrong, i like my allez a lot and don't see any need to upgrade the bike...but should i? if i sell the allez and go even money on the wheels i could damn close on an upgrade to a tarmac or similarly priced bike.

what are your thoughts with this? i'm really just looking for guidance here since i'm fairly new to the road world. if my allez was a full 105 i may have a different thought process...but it's not. TIA.

Maurice

i'm thinking about upgrading my wheelset to something a little lighter/stiffer/more sexier. my questions are these:

1. couple brands to look at? i'm assuming mavic and a quick google would supply other top names but i'm looking for real personal experiences.
2. is it even worth doing this? i figure for even a 1/2 way decent set of wheels i'm going to be in the $600-$800 range. now, don't get me wrong, i like my allez a lot and don't see any need to upgrade the bike...but should i? if i sell the allez and go even money on the wheels i could damn close on an upgrade to a tarmac or similarly priced bike.

what are your thoughts with this? i'm really just looking for guidance here since i'm fairly new to the road world. if my allez was a full 105 i may have a different thought process...but it's not. TIA.

Jake, is there anything wrong with your current wheels? You're not going to notice a whole lot of difference unless you're ready to drop a lot more cash than that.

Also, stiff and light don't quite go together in this area.

Get a cheap set of tubular wheels, lots more comfortable, decently stiff and light. Only issue is carrying a spare tire, but they usually fit nicely under the seat and you'll likely never need it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I uprgaded the wheels on my ocr twice now and compared to the stock wheelset, there is no comparison. Front wheel, whatever, not that much difference except maybe smoother bearings. Rear wheel, HUGE difference, the stiffer rear wheel make a big difference, especially when you are mashing. One top of that, you have smoother bearings and better engagement/more lively freehub. It was the most noticible upgrade I did to my road bike before my new cranks.

OTOH, if you think you can sell it and put up $600 and get a tarmac, I wouldn't count that out.

For the riding you do, I wouldn't recommend tubulars since clinchers are just easier to work with.

BTW, I have the Ksyrium Elites.

Wobbegong

When I changed my wheels from Shimano 550 to Mavic Ksyrium Elite, I could feel the difference right away. Cornering was real stiff, and they responded immediately to pedal forces. They just ,made the bike feel "sturdy".

I spoke with Jdog about options, and he feels the elite is one of the best bang for buck wheelsets. Not the lightest, but sturdy and very workhourse. I havent touched them since I got them last year, still true and running strong.

The biggest change came when I upgraded the crankset, my 1st road bike came with truvativ elite cranks. I was bending them pretty bad during hard efforts, the big ring would rub against the front der. and it just felt mushy. I upgraded to FSA carbon with outboard bearings and it was like pedaling on comcrete. The bike feels so solid, nice and stiff under hard efforts. If you have a cheaper crankset, Id consider an upgrade for that as well.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have a friend who works for Cannondale.

They test the shit out of everything. Trust me. I have never seen so many broken bike parts in one place in my life.

I was told that the Mavic kysirium Elite is best strength to weight ratio of any wheel they have tested.

I sell a ton of these and they hold up really well. I also sell a lot of Kysirum SL and es's. They come in with broken spokes a lot.

I have been looking more seriously at Easton wheels as of late too:

Watch the clip on this page:

http://www.eastonbike.com/index_vid.html

On the tubular front.. I leave it for the racer types. I have had them and loved them. Two flats in a week and I sold them.

I am pretty hot in the Tubeless wheel conversion from stan's. It can be done on most any wheel:

http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_58/products_id/416

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm not sure i'm going to really do anything with the road bike, i've just got a case of upgrade-itis. but my wheels are a little flexy which is what go me thinking.

i'm assuming that wheels on a road bike are just as important an upgrade as wheels an mtb which begs the question: is a specialized allez elite frame worth spending the money on? i have no issues with it at all. the ride is good enough, but is it worth it?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
i'm not sure i'm going to really do anything with the road bike, i've just got a case of upgrade-itis. but my wheels are a little flexy which is what go me thinking.

i'm assuming that wheels on a road bike are just as important an upgrade as wheels an mtb which begs the question: is a specialized allez elite frame worth spending the money on? i have no issues with it at all. the ride is good enough, but is it worth it?

I have a demo set of the same wheels that Kevin and J spoke of.

Ride them and decide for yourself.

j

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a demo set of the same wheels that Kevin and J spoke of.

Ride them and decide for yourself.

j

maybe i will. i will be coming to see you either this weekend or next. healthy children pending. be ready jay, my kids are nuts.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

don't know the specifics or your frame, but you can always pick up a frame from someplace later.

Disclaimer, upgraditis hit me hard this year, so my advice maybe skewed.

doctor855

easton ea-90sl or slx. the slx is lighter weight and made for lighter riders. the sl has a couple extra spokes making it more friendly for heavier riders. i think both sets can be had for less than 700 if not cheaper depending on where you look.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
don't know the specifics or your frame, but you can always pick up a frame from someplace later.

Disclaimer, upgraditis hit me hard this year, so my advice maybe skewed.

yeah, i know...but then i'm carrying the components over and they aren't the best. i'm trying to apples to apples this with my mtb. i've been riding the mary for almost three years and have upgraded everything...except the frame and cranks. now i'm going to be getting a niner so all the stuff moves over to that and i've got a fly bike.

with the road bike, everything is still stock. so, even though i like the frame and the way the bike rides, if i'm going to spend between $700 - $1000 on wheels...should i just sell the thing and start fresh? that's my delima.

of course i could do nothing but that doesn't stimulate the economy..

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
well, i don't think i'm gonna buy new wheels. thanks for the input though folks.

Top Bottom