Wheel Questions

Thanks for advance for taking the time to read this.

1) If you're running disc brakes, how important is it to have true wheels? I can see with V-brakes b/c of brake pad rubbing.
2) If I have a broke spoke, how important is it to get that replaced?

Thanks again for any insight you provide.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am not qualified to answer this question. But...

1. Not amazingly important, but you don't want the damn thing floating all over. I would try to get it as true as you can.

2. Broken spokes are often the beginning of the end of your wheel. Replace it before you ride again. If you keep breaking spokes your wheel has likely STB.

I'm actually looking to do the work myself. I've got nothing against the LBS, but I know how slammed they are this time of year and I hate being without my bike for more then a couple of days. So I figure it was time I start learning to work on my own bike. I already have all the tools and the stand. I found a site called utahmountainbiking.com that has tons of great repair info.

walter

Fourth Party
If that is the way you want to go, look at Sheldon Brown, Park Tools, or pick up the Zinn book.

My opinion, if you fuck it up, you may be without your bike longer than just taking it to someone who knows whats going on.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
If that is the way you want to go, look at Sheldon Brown, Park Tools, or pick up the Zinn book.

My opinion, if you fuck it up, you may be without your bike longer than just taking it to someone who knows whats going on.

True,....True.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's easy enough. Buy a spoke, a spoke wrench, and be patient. Shops are convenient but yes, this time of year can be tough. Some shops will do it right there for you. When you go buy the spoke they'll likely ask if you want them to do it. Go in and say you might want to race Sunday, see what they say.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've got nothing against the LBS, but I know how slammed they are this time of year and I hate being without my bike for more then a couple of days.

Most shops would consider this a "spot" repair and do it while you wait, I know personally it would take me less than 5 minutes to repair...

-Jim.

I've checked out Sheldon Brown and the park site before; some good stuff on there. I recognize the risks which is why I would place limits on things that I would do: tuneups, replacing derailleurs, hangers, brakes, etc. I just replaced my cassette and rear derailleur for the first time and everything went great. Being a homeowner, I'm big on the the do-it-yourself mentality. It can be frustrating, but with some patience, when things work out in the end, its so fulfilling and if not necessarily in the short run, in the long run the knowledge and experience you gain can save you a lot of money.

Most shops would consider this a "spot" repair and do it while you wait, I know personally it would take me less than 5 minutes to repair...

-Jim.

I'll give this a shot since I have to go there for the spoke anyways. If I lived closer to you, I'd take you up on that.

Top Bottom