Whats your strategy?

BiknBen

I think he's referring to the walkers...

Walker? What the hell is a Walker? Must be a Sport or Beginner thing. ;)

To be honest, I was once one of the racers that would try to clear everything and ride up all the steep stuff. I was thinking like a rider and wanted to ride.

Eventually, I realized that there is no shame in getting off the bike and running if it gets you to the finish faster.

My general rule of thumb; if I'm using my granny it is because my race is over and I'm just struggling to get to the finish. If I'm in contention for something, I'll run before shifting to the granny.

Last edited:

xc62701

do you have to say on your left or on your right? or anything to prevent a collision incase they decide to unpredictably swerve? I found myself saying that but i felt corny. Wasn't like i was fighting to pass. If I was hammering and fighting to pass I woulda gone stealth mode.

My best advice here is if it's easy to pass don't say anything and just take it. Sometimes when you call on your left, the rider will swerve left and put you off the trail. If someone is in your way and there's little room to pass call something out to let them know you are wanting to pass. Most won't care and will make room for you. Some people will be a pain though - don't be afraid to be aggressive(this doesn't mean shouldering them off the trail ;))

VanDbtRiver

Walker? What the hell is a Walker? Must be a Sport or Beginner thing. ;)

To be honest, I was once one of the racers that would try to clear everything and ride up all the steep stuff. I was thinking like a rider and wanted to ride.

Eventually, I realized that there is no shame in getting off the bike and running if it gets you to the finish faster.

An my general rule of thumb; if I'm using my granny it is because my race is over and I'm just struggling to get to the finish. If I'm in contention for something, I'll run before shifting to the granny.

allright, that makes sense...personally, i give the rider the rite of way, i would feel shitty if i took a rider off of his/her line by cyclocrossing past them.

MTB Aussie

Ya, most of the "walking" up hills and through techie stuff seems to be at real walking pace, and it clogs the trail. I have no issue with some dude (Ben) who runs past me every now and then, provided I dont keep catching up and getting held up on the next section, but then again, if they are running ahead there is usually no issue.

As a counter point to my point though (yes, I now have way to much time on my hands with no bike or car), if running with the bike is acceptable, what is to stop a real strong trail runner from enter a race without a bike, and running the whole thing? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lastly (for this post at least) if someone is trying to pass me and doesn't say anything, I will not make any attempt to get out of the way. "on your right/left" is all that's needed for me to make it easy for them, say nothing and it's up to you to TRY to shoulder me out the way.

xc62701

As a counter point to my point though (yes, I now have way to much time on my hands with no bike or car), if running with the bike is acceptable, what is to stop a real strong trail runner from enter a race without a bike, and running the whole thing? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The fact that you must start and finish with your entire bike. The runner would have to run with the bike the whole time. It's the same thing that stops people with mechanicals from ditching their bikes in the woods and running to the finish. You must finish WITH the ENTIRE bike.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
I think for each class the start pace is different. In the Beginner classes most riders leave the start line slower so staying with the group is easier. Sport class the laps are doubled and most times longer than the Beginner classes (Sport & Experts sometimes ride more tech sections ie: Tymor) Speaking of the Sport Class, if you pace yourself at the start the lead group will gap you in no time flat. If you are in good race shape and have a decent amount of endurance than try to link sections together and check out. Find out where you can make up time, climbs, flats, tech or decents and when your sections come ... hammer them. Try using decents to rest, not just your legs. Staying in the lead group at the start can measure your race fitness.

RC ... :)

scotth

I'm reading Ned Overends book, hoping it will get me up a few places next season:D One thing I need to change is to keep pedaling. Sometimes when on a downhill I just coast. He talks about perpetual pedaling, and a lot about shifting. The book is very informative.

Scott

Top Bottom