Whats your favorite painting?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What is your favorite painting. If your like me you have more then one and its more about the era of art/painting. While I love Impressionism from the 19th century I find the WPA era art of the 20th century to be incredible.

Like music, art is a product of its times. The 1930's and 40's was a time when America came together to get out of the depression and fight a world war. The art reflects this and the fact that the Federal gov't supported artist to such an extent is incredible. Most post offices today still have murals from wpa artists.

Well enough talk, I am really fond of this print.

Bernece Berkman
South Chicago Series #2 1937
Berkman_Chicago2.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Birth of Venus

can't really appreciate it unless standing in front of it. Walking into the room was a very powerful experience.
Very detoxifying? Think i've mentioned it before somewhere.

-----

Matisse if looking for more modern - Prob The Dessert or whatever it is called nowadays.
No 3d glasses required.

Matisse-The-Dessert-Harmony-in-Red-Henri-1908-fast.jpg

We own a Peter Max, need him to kick, so the value goes up.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have been lucky to see a ton of famous stuff. It is weird when you see stuff in person and it is like 3" by 3" when you thought it was a wall painting, or much larger than you though. I am not sure I have a favorite but some of these were the most moving:

Birth of Venus: Uffizi, Florence, Italy Huge.
400px-Sandro_Botticelli_-_La_nascita_di_Venere_-_Google_Art_Project_-_edited.jpg

Sistine Chapel and Last Supper for the Size of Them
Sistine_chapel.jpg

450px-%C3%9Altima_Cena_-_Da_Vinci_5.jpg

The pollock in the National Gallery. Yes, splattered paint but the depth of this painting is amazing, like inches thick.
lm1024.jpg

The chuck closes are pretty damn amazing too. I am not sure if this is one of the thumb print ones...
chuck-close-phil-regarding-warhol-metroplitan-museum-of-art.png

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Birth of Venus

can't really appreciate it unless standing in front of it. Walking into the room was a very powerful experience.
Very detoxifying? Think i've mentioned it before somewhere.

I didn't see this until I posted it mine. Yes, crazy.

mandi

Wow, for once Kevin and I agree on something. Jackson Pollock

But my favorite would be Monet's Water Lillies. Seeing that in person blew me away.

rick81721

Lothar
I have been lucky to see a ton of famous stuff. It is weird when you see stuff in person and it is like 3" by 3" when you thought it was a wall painting, or much larger than you though. I am not sure I have a favorite but some of these were the most moving:

Birth of Venus: Uffizi, Florence, Italy Huge.

Sistine Chapel and Last Supper for the Size of Them

Seriously I've been to those places as well (also the Louvre) and they are stunning. Most recently, went to the Dali museum in FL last summer and was amazed at his work. Size of his famous works range from postcard to huge - and the detail, complexity and imagery was fascinating.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Seriously I've been to those places as well (also the Louvre) and they are stunning. Most recently, went to the Dali museum in FL last summer and was amazed at his work. Size of his famous works range from postcard to huge - and the detail, complexity and imagery was fascinating.

I forget where I saw dali stuff but was chocked some of the stuff was so small.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sistine Chapel mostly because of the size/location/history. The whole Vatican is quite something, really.

I always wonder how much art from history has been destroyed. WWII especially.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Absolutely love Vigo the Carpathian...he was a VERY powerful magician you know

original.jpg

Last edited:

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Grate thred.

Man There is so much good stuff out there but based on where my head is right this second, Frances Bacon comes to mind. Have always loved his trypdics

Francis-Bacon-Three-Studies-for-a-Self-Portrait.jpg

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Not so much his paintings, but I love MC Escher's lithographs.

And I've always loved Manet's "Tarring the Boat". I think what he did with his color choices here is remarkable - I get such a sense of place. And the black of the boat is even more striking when you see the real thing. I always wanted a print of this but never found one.

16031878236_2873f12ef4.jpg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Absolutely love Vigo the Carpathian...he was a VERY powerful magician you know

original.jpg

Ghostbusters II..... Nice

Mine is Rembrandt in general and specifically, "The Feast of Belshazzar" or "Belshazzar's Feast"...depending on who you ask.

I love his use of light.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419011564.840127.jpg

And it has special meaning to me....

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went to summer school with the granddaughter of Frank Frezatta who was Molly Hatchet albums artist. Her family had ton of his art work at there place. Would just stare it that stuff with amazement. This of course was back when weed and Molly Hatchet were revelant.

What I should say was my granddad who worked the golden age of Disney, he was responsible for Dumbo, Prince and horse in snow white. Holds patent for the Pegasus horse symbol for Mobil and much more...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419015801600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419015801600.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 31

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And I've always loved Manet's "Tarring the Boat".

16031878236_2873f12ef4.jpg

Wow that is pretty cool. I also have been more of a Manet fan then Monet, even the later is more popular.
Yeah, I find it hard to get prints of some of the work I like as well. Who do we talk to about this?

Top Bottom